Computer Related > iIssues Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 101

iIssues - Mapmaker
Probably the first iIssue of many.

OK, I've ripped my first disc to iTunes. It happens to be a linguaphone disc, so not recognised in the online song library. So it's called Track 01; Track 02 etc.

And I started to rip my second disc to iTunes. Which is the next linguaphone disc. And it's therefore also called Track 01; Track 02.

Therefore, the tracks in iPlayer are:

Track 01
Track 01
Track 02
Track 02

etc.

How can I keep them sorted as different CDs - ideally without having to rename each of the fifty-odd tracks on each disc?

Thanks.

iIssues - Zero
Trust you to crack right on in with a something out of left field. You have a few options.

Use another tool to rip them and name them at the same time
Use a semi automated tool to rename them (I use MP3 Tag)
Use Itunes to rename each track / CD.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Seems like the perfect sort of thing to put onto a machine that excludes the high and low frequencies; something where audio quality doesn't matter at all.

1. Suggestions?
2. Within iTunes, or in explorer?
3. Just pressing f2 on each track - dull but OK.

A more general question, how does it store the different tracks from different CDs; are they not stored/noted as different CDs?
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Oh yes.

And does iTunes back up my contacts list?

And also, I'm trying to set up Findmyiphone. It tells me my apple id is valid, but that I don't have an iCloud account (which is indeed the case). I click on iCloud and it takes me to icloud.com/mobileme/iphone_welcome/ where there is a sign hanging that says 'mobileme is Closed, visit iCloud from a Mac or PC.'

Fair enough.

So I then go to my PC, and type in icloud.com, where it tells me 'To use icloud, first set it up with your apple id on a device with iOS or a Mac with OSx.'

If I try to log in, then it gives me the same message.

Do I really have to go and buy a Mac?

Thanks.
 iIssues - Zero

>> And does iTunes back up my contacts list?

Yes, but Icloud can also do this when you get it working.

>>
>> And also, I'm trying to set up Findmyiphone. It tells me my apple id is
>> valid, but that I don't have an iCloud account (which is indeed the case). I
>> click on iCloud and it takes me to icloud.com/mobileme/iphone_welcome/ where there is a sign hanging
>> that says 'mobileme is Closed, visit iCloud from a Mac or PC.'

What happens when you go Settings/icloud on your phone?

iIssues - Mapmaker
>>What happens when you go Settings/icloud on your phone?

It lets me log in and set up an account. Stupid machine, why couldn't have done that directly. Thank you.

>>Treat them as different albums, call them CD1 and CD2 etc. Then the track numbers can duplicate without causing a problem.

Seems sensible. How?

Edited to add, it seems to have given each track a separate album. Clever Apple.

Last edited by: Mapmaker on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 12:11
 iIssues - Zero
>> Seems like the perfect sort of thing to put onto a machine that excludes the
>> high and low frequencies; something where audio quality doesn't matter at all.
>>
>> 1. Suggestions?

download.cnet.com/Free-CD-Ripper/3000-2168_4-10212165.html

>> 2. Within iTunes, or in explorer?

MP3Tag is a windows tool, so outside of iTunes.

>> 3. Just pressing f2 on each track - dull but OK.
>>

You need to have an audio strategy, here is mine.
I rip (or locate downloaded) to a dedicated drive/directory structure. Mine is
/Music/cd*/tracks

you can use Mp3 tag to tag those unnamed in there if you didnt rip them with names.

THEN you use iTunes, pointed at /Music to manage your access to the library of music.

*cd could be cd title, or artist, or anything you logically want to use .
 iIssues - Manatee
Treat them as different albums, call them CD1 and CD2 etc. Then the track numbers can duplicate without causing a problem. If you try to put the whole thing into one album, you'll get the problem you have.
 iIssues - rtj70
If you select all the tracks you've just imported and go to Get Info in iTunes you can edit the album/artist all at once. Then it matters not that the tracks are called Track 1...2 etc.

It doesn't identify many language CDs because the details are not on Gracenote. Oddly one I imported the other week didn't recognise CD1 and CD3 but did CD2.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
RTJ, thanks, that's great advice.

Renaming the album for all of them made it realise they were all the same disc, which solved the 55 separate albums problem.

I wouldn't really expect it to identify language CDs...

Next question; how do I synch the album with my iPhone? (Yes, I've watch the apple help video, but it's no help whatsoever...)
 iIssues - No FM2R
>>how do I synch the album with my iPhone?

Plug your iPhone into the computer.
Pause
It will identify your iPhone and lead you through some simple steps.
Then click on the name of the device on the left hand side in iTunes
At the bottom of the screen you will see a bar showing current iPhone usage.
On the right hand side of the screen you will see a multitude of settings about what and how its synchronised

You need to play around. Since you have two or three days before this is your phone, I recommend you lark about with everything you can find.

When you’ve experimented with everything, then you have the option of resetting the iPhone back to factory spec and doing it all properly.

It is supposed to be fun. And you’re a boy, so you should be attuned to the idea of pressing a button to see what it does. You’d do it in a car, so do it with the phone.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Another iIssue.

I clicked on "orange wifi" app. And then on the hotspot finder. And then I tried to allow it to use GPS to find me, but managed to click the 'no' button. How do I change this to 'yes'?

I must say, this iLark is an entirely unintuitive system. And the help video is rubbish as their iTunes looks nothing like mine... I consider myself reasonably intelligent, technical and educated. Clearly I'm not their target customer. Perhaps I'm thirty years too old... maybe leaving nappies behind is the point at which you're too old for them.
 iIssues - Zero
>> Another iIssue.
>>
>> I clicked on "orange wifi" app. And then on the hotspot finder. And then I
>> tried to allow it to use GPS to find me, but managed to click the
>> 'no' button. How do I change this to 'yes'

Settings, location services, select your orange app, click on

>> I must say, this iLark is an entirely unintuitive system. And the help video is
>> rubbish as their iTunes looks nothing like mine...

You have a different version of iTunes.

>I consider myself reasonably intelligent, technical and educated. Clearly I'm not their target >customer. Perhaps I'm thirty years too old... maybe leaving nappies behind is the point at >which you're too old for them.

I am 58 years old, I find it intuitive enough. Thats the second time I have pointed you to settings. The clue is in the name.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
>>I find it intuitive enough.

I seem to recall you were surprised by the results of the volume slider!

>>Thats the second time I have pointed you to settings.

And I am grateful to you for that; I am just bemused that you have to go such a long way to make changes.

>>You have a different version of iTunes.

From the version of iTunes that the help in the iTunes I'm using is offering. You couldn't write this stuff!

>>RTFM

Good idea. It's quite interesting, and I am doing so.
 iIssues - Zero

>> And I am grateful to you for that; I am just bemused that you have
>> to go such a long way to make changes.

Press home button, press settings tile. Its not a long way is it. Its also perfectly logical to have settings in, well, the settings tile. I am bemused how anyone can be bemused by the logicality of it.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
>>Its also perfectly logical to have settings in, well, the settings tile. I am bemused how >>anyone can be bemused by the logicality of it.

If I turn my microwave off, I turn it back on at the microwave. If I turn the cooker off, I turn it back on at the cooker. I don't go to the fusebox to turn them all back on/off together!

I have just discovered the magnifying glass for placing the insertion point in the right place when editing text. I have been cursing Apple for nearly three weeks now for its rubbish edit function...

And the dictate function; that's quite cool!

In fact, I'm impressed by Siri and the various automated things on this phone. Or I would be if he worked properly in the UK...

NoFM2R, thank you. The problem is I've already pushed all the buttons available. The only way I can see to upload tracks to the iPhone is to use the Autofill option. I want to have control over this machine; not it over me!
 iIssues - No FM2R
Mapmaker,

I've lost track a bit; Forgive me if I get the wrong end.

You have now got iTunes with some tracks you want to get on the iPhone?

Have you plugged the iPhone into the PC with iTunes running?

If so, did it show up as "Mapmakers iPhone", or whatever you've called it.

iIssues - Mapmaker
No FM2R.

Yes, they talk to each other properly; apps downloaded to iTunes upload to the computer.

I can get the tracks onto the phone using the 'autofill' option, which automatically and at random fills empty space on the phone with tracks on the computer. This is somewhat less than ideal!
 iIssues - No FM2R
iTunes allows you to choose what will go on the phone in a number of different ways. Whilst I think each one of the ways is intuitive, or at least reasonably so, the way they interact is not.

About half way down the left hand side of the iTunes screen should be your iPhone.

Click on it.

On the right hand side you should then see a picture and some details about your iPhone.

You will also see across the top a list of tabs. Something like;

summary /music /podcasts /books /photos.

Or something like that.

click on the music one.

You should have ticked the box which says "Synch Music" and then chosen your options below.

If you tick "selected playlists blah blah blah". then you will have to go to the section Library/Music and tick the songs you wish to include.

Does this help?

Mark.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 16:03
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Thank you; you and Zero got there at the same moment!
 iIssues - No FM2R
>>The problem is I've already pushed all the buttons available.

You see, you missed a button!! Wouldn't have happened to you with a car.

iIssues - Mapmaker
Because cars don't require you to push one button to reveal another box of buttons and then push another one.

Burying buttons. A strange way to build a supposedly-intuitive system.
 iIssues - No FM2R
>>A strange way to build a supposedly-intuitive system.

And this is what everybody means when they say; "if you buy an Apple device, you do everything Apple's way, whether you like it or not".
 iIssues - Zero
Itunes is two cars, its a "manage your music on the pc", car, and a "manage your iphone" car.

You have to open your car door to press its buttons.

>Because cars don't require you to push one button to reveal another box of buttons and then >push another one.

Dont buy a new Mercedes or a BMW then, thats EXACTLY what you have to do.

iIssues - Zero
>> >>Its also perfectly logical to have settings in, well, the settings tile. I am bemused
>> how >>anyone can be bemused by the logicality of it.
>>
>> If I turn my microwave off, I turn it back on at the microwave. If
>> I turn the cooker off, I turn it back on at the cooker. I don't
>> go to the fusebox to turn them all back on/off together!

You dont have a microwave, you have a computer controlled kitchen.
 iIssues - Zero
Having plug in your phone, You select library on the l/h pane so your pc library of music is shown, you select (tick) the tracks you want to synch to the phone, you click the name of your phone on the l/h panel and you press the synch button.

You have full control about what goes on the phone, and its really not that difficult.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
" press the synch button. "

What does it look like?
 iIssues - Zero
click your iphone in the left hand panel, on the bottom of the big r/h panel is a kind of bar with the usage of your phone, and on the right of that is a big button labeled "Synch"
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Might have known it would have been well hidden. Thank you for that.
 iIssues - No FM2R
So, oh Constructor of Cartography, how's it going?
 iIssues - VxFan
>> I have just discovered the magnifying glass for placing the insertion point in the right
>> place when editing text. I have been cursing Apple for nearly three weeks now for
>> its rubbish edit function...

Have you tried shaking your phone after typing or editing text yet?

You might find it handy one day.

ps, it won't do anything bad, and you can undo it by shaking the phone again if need be.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
No I hadn't. Clever! But you do have to shake it VERY hard indeed.

I uploaded a music CD, and it has saved 30 of the tracks in one 'album'. Three of the tracks (nos 10,11 and 31) are saved in a separate album. Bizarre.

One thing that terrifies me is the 'shuffle' button. If I press it accidentally, is it possible to unshuffle?

Finally, the volume control on the headphones does the following (according to an article I have just found). Clever!

If you're listening to music, toggle pause or play by tapping the center button once.
To fast-forward a song, tap the center button twice and long-press on the second tap.
To rewind a song, tap three times and long-press on the third tap.
To skip a song, double tap.
To go to the previous song, triple tap.
If you have an incoming call, tap the center button once to answer. Tap again to hang up.

To ignore an incoming call, long-press the center button. You'll hear two beeps to confirm that the caller was sent to voice mail.
If you're on the phone and you get a new call, tap the center button once to switch calls. To end that new call, hold the center button down for 2 seconds.
You can achieve supersteady shots by using your headphones as a shutter release. Tap the volume-up button to capture a photo.
For iPhone 4S owners: prompt Siri by long-pressing the center button.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 09:50
 iIssues - VxFan
>> No I hadn't. Clever! But you do have to shake it VERY hard indeed.

You soon get a knack of the best way to shake it. Hold phone and wiggle left to right a couple of times. No need to shake hard.

>> To ignore an incoming call, long-press the center button.

Quicker just to press the vol up or down button, or the power button on top. If you press the power button twice in succession you cut off the caller and it will go to answerphone (if switched on).
 iIssues - Zero

>> One thing that terrifies me is the 'shuffle' button. If I press it accidentally, is
>> it possible to unshuffle?

Shuffle is only the order it plays them in.

Shuffle on = shuffled

Shuffle off = not shuffled.
 iIssues - Zero
manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_ios5_user_guide.pdf
 iIssues - Mapmaker
The in-earphones don't really fit my ears. A bit annoying as if I'm walking I have to keep pushing them back in. Am I doing something wrong? (Never had problems with in-earphones before.)
 iIssues - John H
>> The in-earphones don't really fit my ears. A bit annoying as if I'm walking I
>> have to keep pushing them back in. Am I doing something wrong? (Never had problems
>> with in-earphones before.)
>>

That is why they have changed them in the iPhone5 to iEarPhones earPods :
cdn.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/new-iphone-5-earbuds.jpg

Last edited by: John H on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 12:10
 iIssues - Mapmaker
The iPod was realised 11 years ago, and only now have they realised people need to be able to listen to it?
 iIssues - John H
They were too busy making other expensive good looking gadgets in the meantime.

iIssues - smokie
I never liked the standard Apple earphones. I find this kind of thing much better

www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-156407-Plug-Earbud-Stereophone/dp/B00001P4XA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348659189&sr=8-1

Also blocks out ambient noise, sometimes way too much.
 iIssues - Manatee
>> The in-earphones don't really fit my ears. A bit annoying as if I'm walking I
>> have to keep pushing them back in. Am I doing something wrong? (Never had problems
>> with in-earphones before.)
>>

Didn't you get the little toffee hammer style tool to knock them in with?
 iIssues - Mapmaker
What about connecting it to the car?

Option (1) - use the Aux jack. This involves dismantling large parts of the car to access the back of the radio, which I don’t really fancy as you can never get it back together properly. And will apparently cost £25 or more for the bit.

The alternative is an FM transmitter gadget. Maplin, £10. Three seconds to fit.
 iIssues - No FM2R
>>The alternative is an FM transmitter gadget. Maplin, £10. Three seconds to fit.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0046NCG54/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9557942949&ref=asc_df_B0046NCG54

I use specifically this one, no need for an additional power supply, but if you do plug it in it will charge the iPhone as well.

The only disadvantage I have found is on long trips - it needs to be tuned to an otehrwise empty frequency, and those vary as you drive around the country.

However, it holds half a dozen presets or so.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 13:10
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Thanks. Presumably this is better than the similar £3.50 ones on Amazon.

Do you have a favourite phone holder?
 iIssues - No FM2R
No, the phone tends to get thrown in the centre console.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
1. What does iTunes do with its tracks? When I do a "search for all music" search on the computer, it doesn't come up with anything that's in iTunes.

2. How do I get an MP3 that is saved on the computer into iTunes?

Thanks.
 iIssues - Zero
>> 1. What does iTunes do with its tracks? When I do a "search for all
>> music" search on the computer, it doesn't come up with anything that's in iTunes.

My Documents/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media

>> 2. How do I get an MP3 that is saved on the computer into iTunes?

File/Add to library.
 iIssues - smokie
iTunes doesn't manage *where* the tracks are on your computer unless you tell it to. All iTunes is, is a database which keeps track of music files.

If you want iTunes to manage where your files are kept then go to Edit, Preferences, and click the Advanced tab. First item is iTunes media folder location, set that to wherever you want iTunes to put your music.

Then, when you add new music as per Zero's post, the tracks will be copied into this location (and you can delete them from wherever they were before)

EDIT:
My Documents/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media mentioned by Zero is the default location if you tell iTunes to manage location but don't change it to your own place.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 6 Oct 12 at 22:53
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Thanks.

Having more troubles.

I have a CD on iTunes. On synching, it has uploaded tracks 8-30 to the iPhone. Another disc it has uploaded about half the tracks only - apparently at random.

When I look in my music on my iPhone, using iTunes, the missing tracks are greyed out. And there is a sort of crossed out circle to the left of the tick.

The tick is ticked, and in the 'my library' on iTunes bit too.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
 iIssues - smokie
That just sounds like a sync gone bad. I don't think it's that smart when it syncs, if "damaged" syncs are involved - it sounds like it thinks it has the tracks on the device but they aren't there. I'd start with another sync, but if that doesn't work then manage that item off your iPhone (by de-syncing it) then resync it.

The other thing I can think of is if the source tracks aren't mp3 files it might have had difficulty converting them to the iPhone format (ummm MP3 presumably) but you'd have seen error pop-ups during sync.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
I'd start with another sync, but if that doesn't work then manage that item off your iPhone (by de-syncing it) then resync it.

Bit bemused...

Have pressed synch button again and makes no difference

All tracks definitely the same sort - audio cd.

What do you mean by managing off iPhone?

Thx
 iIssues - smokie
Are you "managing syncs manually" (in iTunes, click on your iPhone in the left pane, and in the Summary screen under Options, is Sync only ticked songs and videos ticked?)

If so, then you can select and deselect items to sync under the Music tab - you can deselect the offending item, and allow it to sync, to remove the entries from the iPhone, then re-add and re-sync.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
I'll give it a go soon. Thanks.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Job done, thanks. (I was going to delete them completely and reload into iTunes, thanks for saving me the effort...!)
 iIssues - Focusless
Ha - it's taken 2 and a half weeks but I now understand the thread title :)

(I thought the 'I' was an 'L' so wasn't sure whether it was a typo or some wordplay involving 'ill'. Must try wearing my specs occasionally.)
 iIssues - Zero
Focus in name only eh?
 iIssues - Focusless
Yes, I admit the name is somewhat inappropriate; I might change it to 'Presbyopia'.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 10 Oct 12 at 22:08
 Text to call - Mapmaker
Receive a text message, and then you want to call the person. Surely there is an easier way from an open text message from the person that you now want to call, than having to go into calls/contacts/find the person and then call them? If you know the number off by heart it's actually easier to type it into the keypad.

Even worse if it's a text from somebody whose number isn't in your phone; you have to write it down with pen and paper and transfer it to contacts?

What am I doing wrong. Even the most basic Nokia can manage this, so it must be my fault.
 Text to call - John H
>> What am I doing wrong. Even the most basic Nokia can manage this, so it
>> must be my fault.
>>

:)

Should have listened to the guy who you to get a galaxy S3.
"GALAXY S III knows when you want to make a call. When you are messaging
someone but decide to call them, you can simply lift the phone to your ear and the
Direct Call function will dial the number for you.
No more fumbling through call logs or contacts.
Let GALAXY S III do all the work. "
 Text to call - rtj70
There has to be a shortcut surely? On a Samsung Galaxy S3 (with Samsung's Touchwiz 4 overlay), if you are in a text and want to call the person back you just put the phone against your ear and it calls the number automatically. Or so I understand.
 Text to call - Pezzer
The App I use for SMS in Android gives you this option and I think the App was originally an Apple App (?) - Handcent.
 Text to call - VxFan
>> What am I doing wrong.

Scroll to top of txt message from person (or tap top of screen which will auto scroll for you)

On the top LH side of the screen there is a button called "Call". Just press it. It's as simple as that.
 Text to call - rtj70
>> Just press it. It's as simple as that.

Clearly not simple enough ;-)

I assumed there had to be a way of doing it - and if your mind doesn't think the way Apple wants it to, then it might not be obvious. Then the auto dial option on the SGS III isn't obvious either - you'd have to know it did that.
 Text to call - John H
>> Then the auto dial option on the SGS III isn't obvious either - you'd have
>> to know it did that.
>>

It is one of their top three USPs.
So if you read even the basic minimal marketing blurb,
www.samsung.com/sg/promotions/galaxys3/
where it is writ in big letters as a reason to buy the S3, you would know about it.
 Text to call - rtj70
Wouldn't be a reason I'd buy a mobile phone ;-) Not much of a USP really.
 Text to call - John H
>> Wouldn't be a reason I'd buy a mobile phone ;-)
>>
You mean that thing that people use to make phone calls?

>> Not much of a USP
>> really.
>>

In a crowded mobile "phone" market, there are very few things left which manufacturers can do that make them stand out from others.

The S3's "direct call" feature is ASAIK unique to Samsung, therefore it is a USP whether you or I want it or not, and at least it is something to do with making a - surprise, surprise - phone call on a mobile phone.

Who would have thought a few years ago that having two cameras for "face-time" on mobile phone would become a must have feature in 2013?
 Text to call - VxFan
>> Clearly not simple enough ;-)

Unless you have a long list of txt messages from a person, the "Call" button should be staring you in the face. It only 'disappears' from the screen when there are several txt messages from a person - hence why I suggested scrolling back up the screen to see it again.

imageshack.us/a/img7/7711/imageduy.jpg

Call button can be clearly seen on top LH side of screen.

(I've no problem with the number being displayed in the txt message image. It's just a spam txt I received but forgot to delete)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 15 Oct 12 at 12:43
 Text to call - Mapmaker
All a vast improvement on pressing a green button...

Thanks Dave!
 iIssues - Mapmaker

I have just done a full restore on my computer (to solve the screen resolution issue described previously). I did not back up iTunes as it's all on my phone.

So I've reinstalled iTunes, but how do I get what's on my phone back onto my computer? The synch button offers to delete everything from my phone...

Thanks.
 iIssues - Zero
you should have backed up your Itunes.....
 iIssues - No FM2R
Mapmaker,

Oh dear.

For the future, always back up iTunes. The phone data is a slave to iTunes.

On your phone, stuff you want to keep is music, contacts and some Apps.

Is that correct ? Anything else?

Contacts are easy, Apps are easy, and so are photos if you have them.

So lets initially focus on the muic; is the phone the ONLY place you have that music?

And how much music are we talking about?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 10:10
 iIssues - Mapmaker
I have hard copies for everything except for one track. No great problem if it's not possible, it's only 79p-worth of MP3.

Obviously there's some part of "synchronise your music between all your devices no matter which one you bought it from" that I failed to understand...
 iIssues - No FM2R
Purchases are different and are exactly "synchronise your music between all your devices no matter which one you bought it from"

Anything you have purchased, music or App, will get replicated back to the telephone assuming that it was bought under your username from iTunes. This is not your problem.

iTunes will delete everything from your phone, access your iTunes account and put it all back again.

The problem is anything you did not buy from iTunes. What you will lose if you simply synch is any music on the phone that you ripped from CD yourself.

Do your contacts lie just on the phone?

Do you have photographs which are just ont he phone?

Anythign else?
 iIssues - VxFan
I don't use it, but I thought you could set up the iPhone to save up to 5GB of free data (you have to pay for extra storage) to the cloud whenever there is a wi-fi signal and when you put the iPhone on charge?
 iIssues - No FM2R
The issue is that iTunes and Cloud Storage overlap in function and scope. So pretty much things like contacts and documents will lie in the cloud, and music, apps and photographs will lie in iTunes.

But the overlap allows gaps and duplications to occur - a common one is contacts, where someone uses iTunes to synch their contacts between Outlook, Googlemail and the phone, and then uses the cloud to do it as well. It can get impressively messy.

Of course, we do all realise that "Cloud" is a marketing term which has no technical value whatsoever? It just means a server someone owns somewhere that they let you use a bit of.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 12:54
 iIssues - CGNorwich
And there was me thinking my personal information was safely lodged in a bit of fluffy Strato-Cumulus. :-)
 iIssues - No FM2R
You may not, yet I rather think that many do have exactly that kind of image.

The "Cloud" has its place, but its not secure, its not the same as a backup and its not some benign, social benefit.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 14:09
 iIssues - Mapmaker
There are photos just on the phone; they should synch back onto the computer, I guess.

Ripped CDs amount to half a dozen, and I don't mind re-doing that.

Any hope for the MP3 that's only on the phone?

And my contacts I think are synched into the Cloud by either Orange or Apple, aren't they? Sure I read that somewhere.
 iIssues - No FM2R
>>Any hope for the MP3 that's only on the phone?

Where did you buy it from?

Probably safer to copy off the photographs although they'd probably sync ok. Do you know how to access the iphone as a simple storage device?

You may find this of interest if you want to copy the music off. Although for half a dozen I'd agree with just doing them again.

www.idownloadblog.com/2009/10/22/transfer-music-from-iphone-to-computer/

..there are many similar.
 iIssues - VxFan
>> And my contacts I think are synched into the Cloud

I back mine up periodically using an App called Phone Copy.

www.phonecopy.com/en/phones/manufacturer/Apple

iIssues - smokie
People seem to recommend this to get music files off your iphone/ipad.

i-funbox.com/

Will have a look at it later this evening if I have time.

Rebuilding iTunes is easy.

UPDATE that doesn't seem to work for me, won;t recognise the device...
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 20:59
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Well, as Smokie kindly provided a link, I downloaded it - for amusement value. (It beats letting the cat in and out of the garden through the kitchen door every five minutes which is his game this evening.)

Seriously, this Apple lark is supposed to be a good thing? "intuitive" "amazing" "changes your life". OK, it's changed my life...

I have fifty folders of audio. And in each folder there are between four and eight .m4a files. Which are (apparently) entirely randomly chosen from the discs that were previously on the computer and which continue to be on the phone. No hint as to what may be on the .m4a file until you play it. At which point it appears miraculously in iPlayer complete with description.

Bizarre. Or is there something I'm not getting...

Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 21:24
 iIssues - rtj70
>> Seriously, this Apple lark is supposed to be a good thing? "intuitive" "amazing" "changes your life".

You've tried doing things your way and not doing it the Apple way. Multiple examples so far. Latest is to assume music sync to an iPhone, iPad or iPod is two way. It never has been. Foolish to think otherwise ;-) It's not as if you can drag and drop music files is it... to simple.

>> I have fifty folders of audio. And in each folder there are between four and eight .m4a files.
>> Which are (apparently) entirely randomly chosen from the discs...

iTunes creates a database/catalogue of your files and sticks them on the device but the media player can access them okay because it looks up the details in the database. Simple. They don't want you copying music off an iPod too easily. It's Apple you know. The file will probably have meta data like artist, album etc. But with the right application you can extract albums and not just individual files.

>> Bizarre. Or is there something I'm not getting...

No it's not bizarre. It's how Apple wants things to work and you have to accept it. Personally I wouldn't. I do have an old iPod touch but no longer use it.
 iIssues - Mapmaker

>> >> Bizarre. Or is there something I'm not getting...
>>
>> No it's not bizarre. It's how Apple wants things to work

LOL.

Mark and Zero have a lot to answer for....

Forgive me ;) for assuming that I could get stuff off the machine as well as on...
 iIssues - Zero
Itunes is nothing more than an index to your music on your PC Your iphone is nothing more than a portable copy of your PC. What did you expect to happen when you erased your PC?

iIssues - Mapmaker
>>Your iphone is nothing more than a portable copy of your PC. What did you expect

Errr... perhaps the endless 'anything you put on one of your devices is automatically copied to all your other devices' propaganda might have influenced this! I've had Nokias for years where you could copy things from one machine to the other. This was supposed to be progress. ;) User friendly! :)

Anyway, I have now highlighted every folder in the app Smokie gave me, and clicked on 'copy to computer' and it's now ALL on the computer and indexed exactly as it was to begin with!

Hurrah! Thank you Smokie, no thanks to Stevo Jobbo.
 iIssues - smokie
I was just playing with this problem. my ID3 tags are all pretty good, and they are held in the iPod along with the song.

So, with iTunes set to "Keep iTunes media Folder Organised" and "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library", and the iPod mounted as a disk I was able to use the Add Folder to Library in iTunes, to import the files into iTunes (NB it doesn't import if the files are already there). Note that you need to Show Hidden Files in Explorer.

Anyway, glad you are sorted. :-)
 iIssues - Zero
>
>> Mark and Zero have a lot to answer for....

I seem to recall that ripping audio to your phone was not a requirement of your specification.

iIssues - Mapmaker
What was my specification? :)
 iIssues - Zero
>> What was my specification? :)

In answer to Mark's question, what do I want it for? Why do I want it? Modern life is becoming almost impossible without a smartphone, much as in 2000 it had become almost impossible without a mobile phone - when I got one. (People stopped making plans in advance.)

Without a smartphone, a Boris bike is an unreliable form of hoping for the best; with one it becomes a winged charger.

Lost? Bring up a map like everybody else does.

Hungry? Book a restaurant with a Toptable deal and go in; alternatively go through the front door and pay full (i.e. inflated) price - a tax on the disorganised.

Need to know something? Just ask Siri like everybody else does. (Actually, I haven't seen anybody doing that for nearly a year; was Siri a one-minute wonder?

Requirement fulfilled. All your apps would be restored via iTunes when you rebuilt your PC. At no point did you mention ripping audio cds.

Your complaint is rejected.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Yeah, but an iPhone is an iPod with a mobile phone attached. It was invented as a music-playing device...

Anyway, what DO I do with it, having had it for six weeks.

I probably use Facebook and email more than anything else. It combines my work, private and junk emails all into one inbox. Arguably more convenient than using the computer at work.

I have disabled all sorts of internet sites on my work computer, so work productivity is up - as I can access them on the phone. Google Chrome has an app that does this.

I use tube/bus/bike apps - in fact I use Citymapper which is an absolutely awesome app that combines all those plus London directions.

The camera takes super pics, but is a bit inflexible. The alarm clock is very good.

eBay and Amazon apps are vaguely useful.

Synching the calendar with work Outlook is invaluable. It keeps all my life in one place.

Using the music app for language CDs is excellent.

And Hailo, Addison Lee and Kabbee for getting home late at night from (or getting rid of people late at night to) obscure corners of town.

And I love the findaproperty app.

And there is (as I thought - I've just found it) an Orange app that backs up contacts.

Overall I'm pretty impressed. I wonder whether I needed to pay £36 per month or whether John H's Lumia at £5 per month would have done the trick. But there's certainly some street cred around having an iPhone.

But it's frustrating to be 'only able to do it apple's way.' I had absolutely no idea what people meant by that when I first investigated buying it.

Oh yes. And the dictation function is absolutely spectacular. I dictate all my texts/emails etc. if I'm in private. The iPhone must win hands down for that function.

And also iMessaging which lets me send texts when on the tube to other iUsers. (Although as most of the world has Facebook on their phones, Facebook's probably even better as you don't have to have an iPhone.)
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 24 Oct 12 at 22:44
 iIssues - Zero

>> Overall I'm pretty impressed.

Right Mark and I excelled, job done, glowing references, now stop with the bitching and whining.
 iIssues - No FM2R
>>Mark and Zero have a lot to answer for....

'scuse me sunshine, I quote myself from a note to you.............

"Your only limitation is that you can only do it Apple's way. There are no workarounds or customisations"

You're trying to do it your way!
 iIssues - Mapmaker
>>You're trying to do it your way!

No, just trying to do it at all...

iIssues - No FM2R
>>No, just trying to do it at all...

Sometimes that's the same thing.

Apple don't think you should update music from the iPhone to iTunes so they make it damned impossible.
 iIssues - rtj70
I used an iPod for years and didn't have the problems Mapmaker has had simply because I knew it sync'd from PC/Mac to iPod/iPhone. The master copy is on the computer. In this time went from an iPod 3G to Touch. And PC to Mac. Didn't have a problem knowing how it all worked. There's the first mistake here.

I'd rather a master copy of music I backup. I now have an Android phone (my second) and music sync maybe different (Mapmaker would not have the issues he has had) but I still have a master copy on the iMac.... and a Time Machine backup. And a copy on the NAS. And a backup of the NAS. And soon a copy of the NAS on the 'Cloud'.
 iIssues - swiss tony
>> >> Seriously, this Apple lark is supposed to be a good thing? "intuitive" "amazing" "changes your life".
>>
>> You've tried doing things your way and not doing it the Apple way.

Bah.

Baahhhhhh!

Baahhh!

How do you fleece a Sheep?

Bring out a 'new' Apple product.
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Really struggling with this iTunes lark.

The first bunch of discs I uploaded went up OK after a bit.

Now, I have two problems with adding new discs:

1. Often the first track - or two or three or four or five - from the CD doesn't seem to upload. In so far as it's not there after the uploading has finished.

2. I'm blowed if I can get tracks out of iTunes into iPhone. They're definitely in iTunes as I can play them from there. I've gone to 'My iPhone' and clicked on the Music tab. And clicked entire music library. And pressed the Sync button. But they remain steadfastly on the computer, and off the phone.

What can I be doing wrong?

Thanks.
 iIssues - rtj70
If they are in iTunes then they will sync to the iPhone if you have chosen that they do. More than one way of restricting what is sync'd.

You can sync all. You can sync only those you have selected to sync. How have you got iTunes setup for sync with this phone?

You did want to do all this the Apple way. Enjoy ;-) But it works well if you do! Genius playlists and everything else. It works really well. The one thing I miss from deciding not to use my iPod touch.
 iIssues - Dog
>>What can I be doing wrong?<<

Living in the 21st century with all its incumbent paraphernalia?
 iIssues - No FM2R
It doesn't upload a CD twice. So perhaps its already there somewhere? Does it say its uploading (ripping) those tracks?

Has *any* music moved to the phone?
 iIssues - Mapmaker
Problem solved. Although the bar said synchronising, it wasn't doing the music (one wonders whether it was doing anything at all?) as it didn't seem to realise (presumably post restoring the computer to factory settings) that it was the phone's home computer.

Thanks.
Latest Forum Posts