Computer Related > Wireless repeater/booster? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 12

Wireless repeater/booster? - Mapmaker
My iphone is inclined to go onto 3G when upstairs - my wifi transmitter is in the basement. What's the best way to repeat/boost the signal? Thanks.
 Wireless repeater/booster? - L'escargot
I thought this was going to be a thread about radio wireless aerials.
;-)
 Wireless repeater/booster? - Zero
It is.
>> My iphone is inclined to go onto 3G when upstairs - my wifi transmitter is
>> in the basement. What's the best way to repeat/boost the signal? Thanks.

If you want it reliable, you need a repeater, and you want it from the same make as your primary router.

So, for example, if you have a netgear router you buy a www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx

Curries have it at £39.99 on sale.

You have one hour to get this bargain.

Or Move your router.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 10:21
 Wireless repeater/booster? - VxFan
Could you not move the Wi-Fi box to the ground floor so it's inbetween the basement and upstairs?

edit - beaten to it. On a slooowww connection at the moment.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 10:26
Move it = poorer reception in basement. Thanks.
 Wireless repeater/booster? - Mike H
I'm not sure whether they will be available in the UK from Aldi, but our local Hofer (Aldi under a different name, same company) here in Austria have a wireless repeater/booster for 29.99 euros this coming week (c. £25). Might be worth keeping an eye open there.
 Wireless repeater/booster? - No FM2R
Powerline plugs from existing router to new and additional access point upstairs.

It'll give you two different wireless networks, but any device should always automatically attach to the stronger one.

Cheap and easy.
So the powerline plug is a wireless device, or do I need something else as well?
No its not, and yes you would need an access point as well. That would double your cost as opposed to the repeater link I gave.
www.amazon.co.uk/Create-Hotpsot-powerline-HomePlug-network/dp/B00719CBHS

It is a little more expensive, but its dead simple (you just plug it in) and its easy to move around to the best place by simply unplugging from one socket and plugging elsewhere.

I will pay for both ease and flexibility.

Your call.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 26 Sep 12 at 13:06
 Wireless repeater/booster? - TeeCee
>> its dead simple (you just plug it in)

Like a repeater. Yes, you have to configure it to your network, but the powerline AP also has to be configured to provide the wanted SSID / security / etc, so no difference there.

>> its easy to move around to the best place by simply unplugging from one socket and plugging elsewhere.

Like a repeater.

The big plus with a repeater is you only need one of 'em, whereas you need a powerline unit at the router end as well. Also the repeater is not subject to the vagaries of your house wiring. In this case it's entirely possible, indeed quite probable, that the basement is fed off a seperate distribution unit for power, in which case powerline adaptors will not work at all (they have to be on feeds from the same distribution unit).
Its not a competition, I have simply had better experiences with the Powerline stuff. Matter of choice, I guess.

However;

"In this case it's entirely possible, indeed quite probable, that the basement is fed off a seperate distribution unit "

I would be amazed if there were different distribution units. Perhaps you mean consumer units? But even then, whilst possible it is not common. And even if it were common, there is no specific reason why a powerline connection would not work across them; they do in my house.

Although distance does eventually become an issue.
Latest Forum Posts