Computer Related > Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 19

Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - Roger.
I watch a LOT of videos on my Acer 7540 laptop. I am pretty hard of hearing and whilst fot TV use I have a good set of Sennheiser wireless earphones, I need something better than the PC headset (inc unused microphone) which I currently use.
I need the volume high and my wife is constantly complaining that the sound from these headphones is so loud that it drowns out the sound from our TV. She also says she can hear it upstairs!
So - I think I need a set of headphones, without a microphone, which completely cover my ears and also a closed system which does not allow sound to escape.
They also need to be capable of being driven from the audio output of the laptop.
Obviously I have looked on-line, but I would welcome advice from forum members.
I do not listen to music, so bass response is not important, although treble is, although I have set VLC player mixer to allow for this.
Budget, I guess is no more than fifty quid absolute tops and less while meeting requirements would be better.
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - Zero
You wont like this, but all your requirements point to a pair of active noise cancelling headphones. You'll like the headphones, in fact you will love they headphones, they do just what you want. You'll hate the price tho.

www.amazon.co.uk/Bose®-QuietComfort®-Acoustic-Cancelling®-Headphones/dp/B007WQ9KQ0
Eeek!
Too good for what I want.
Last edited by: Roger on Sun 30 Sep 12 at 21:51
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - Bromptonaut
Closed back and ear canal sealed devices such as Creative EP630.

Available from Amazon and other suppliers for under a tenner.
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - Kevin
>Eeek! Too good for what I want.

I bought a couple of sets of Creative over-ear noise cancelling phones for Mrs K and myself. They work very well, as good as the old Bose set I left hanging from a seat pocket, and considerably cheaper.
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - Dog
These are what I use on my PC when the ole woman is watching Judge Judy or Come Dine Wiv Me:

www.thomann.de/gb/sony_mdrv500dj.htm
Do your lugs get covered completely, Dog?
Err, I've had them over a year now, and I had to put them on to answer your question :)

My ear lobes are sort-of level with the outside rim of the headphones.

Here's a few reviews:
www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/755354/Sony-MDR-V500DJ-Headphones/Product.html

Might be an idea to go to a shoppe and try on a selection Dodger.
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 30 Sep 12 at 22:20
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - WillDeBeest
I think ear canal headphones are great for travel but a bit of a faff at home, especially when you're more interested in keeping noise in than out. I've got the predecessor (HD418) to these Sennheisers (HD419)
www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_wired-headphones_504761
which didn't grab me initially (partly because of the silly decoration that is absent from the new model) but which have grown on me since. I keep them on my work-at-home desk for online training and the occasional Youtube video and they're comfortable and adequately musical.
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - smokie
I'm a bit mutton. I bought these for use with the computer, they are pretty good and very lightweight - nice range, incl bass. www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-Porta-Pro-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349042478&sr=8-1

I have these for travelling, noise cancelling and very little leakage apparently but more pricey www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PXC-Closed-Back-Headphones-Cancellation/dp/B00375MWE2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349042559&sr=1-3

I also have two sets of Sennheiser remotes www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-RS110-RF-Wireless-Headphone/dp/B0009PXEEU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349042658&sr=1-3 but they are quite heavy - nice though.

And on the train/tube I use in-ear buds - currently these, until I lose them. They kill enough outside sound that I can't hear any train announcements. Because of an ear infection I had to use the Koss the other week and was surprised how much noise I could still hear. They come with different size buds for all ears...www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-200-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0044GMA4A/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349042838&sr=1-3
Well, today we went into John Lewis in Sheffield to look for three new cushion covers - as you do.
Purely by chance we parked on the level which led into the store's electronics department.
Now cushions, as we all know, are a girly thing, so while my style guru was doing HER thing, I just happened to browse the headphone section.
I finished up with a pair of Sennheiser HD65 TV phones at £49.95.
These (surprise) are designed for TV output, so are pretty good for my laptop video viewing. A modest impedance of 32 ohms mean the laptop drives them very well.
There is a separate, very long, lead complete with a L/R volume control should I need it, but for ordinary laptop use the direct short lead of about 90cm is just fine.
I've tested them on "The Mentalist", Series 5, Episode 01, downloaded this morning and the sound is good. Even better SWMBO cannot hear any sound bleeding out.
Result, but thanks for all your suggestions.
Good choice!
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - CGNorwich
What, these ones that are £9 cheaper on Amazon. Unlike you to be so free with your money Roger ;-)

www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-65-TV-Independent/dp/B004DOX70O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349106646&sr=8-1
Spoilsport!
I could have earned Nectar points too, via Amazon.
You have completely ruined my day!
(Sobs)
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - Clk Sec
>> I could have earned Nectar points too, via Amazon.

I've not seen Nectar points mentioned when ordering from Amazon. Am I missing the obvious?
Yes - you are!
If you have a Nectar card, go to their site and register for on-line access to your points tally etc.
As part of the site, they have "eShops", one of which is Amazon. (There are others, as well)
Providing you go to Amazon using the Amazon eShop link, you will earn Nectar points on your purchase.
You have to enter Amazon via this route each time you visit Amazon if you want points, but you can make several point earning purchases each time, until you log out of your Amazon account.
It's a little more trouble, remembering to go to Amazon via Nectar eShops, but it's a good way to earn a few points.

tinyurl.com/cdl5xov
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 1 Oct 12 at 19:47
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - VxFan
>> I've not seen Nectar points mentioned when ordering from Amazon.

I wasn't aware either.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200217150
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - Clk Sec
Curses! We buy a lot from Amazon and I was totally unaware that Nectar points were available. I ordered a new printer yesterday and the wife has one or two items delivered most weeks.

Thanks for the links Roger and VxF.
¡ De nada !
 Headphones for laptop use - recommendations? - VxFan
Just found out you can also get Nectar points from ebay too.

www.nectar.com/shop-at/ebay.co.uk.eshops

As well as quite a few other shops

www.nectar.com/a-z.eshops

Latest Forum Posts