Computer Related > Sky broadband. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 4

Sky broadband. - maltrap
My broadband provider is Sky. I'm on their free package which is 2gb a month. I use my computer daily but only to check bank /credit card accounts, checking e-mails & using this forum. What i don't do is download music or video's. I check my usage frequently and it seems to be creeping nearer and nearer my monthly limit. Me being a "cynical old sceptic"
wonder if Sky can somehow increase my usage in order to get me on their £7.50 a month Sky
Unlimited deal. As i'm not computer proficient the thoughts of those of you that are would be much appreciated.
 Sky broadband. - Bromptonaut
My first thoughts would be (1) do other members of the household use your bb and (2) are you sure you've not been hi-jacked.

Go into your router's settings and check how many IP addresses are allocated and if you recognise the users.
 Sky broadband. - No FM2R
Sky would not increase your usage artificially;

However, you do need to check what's doing it; 100mb a day tough, is not *that* much in the scheme of things, although its quite a lot to be "unknown" if you see what I mean.

Automatic updates to something or other -
News pages with video reports?
Youtube.
Emails with attachments
iPlayer
Another user

When I was looking at a similar problem I found this free tool very useful

Dead easy to use, and you can't cause any harm with it.

www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

I'm quite happy to run you through setting it up if you're interested, but you may wish to just try yourself. It is simple.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 13 Oct 12 at 13:30
 Sky broadband. - Zero
Windows update, AV updates they too are constantly chuntering up broadband. 2 gb a month is not much. I get through 3gb a day.
 Sky broadband. - TeeCee
Presumably if your broadband is from SKY, you also have a SKY box?

Is that hooked to the router and do you use their new VOD "anytime" services.............?!!?
Latest Forum Posts