Computer Related > YouTube video questions Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 5

YouTube video questions - Manatee
A couple of questions that I hope can be answered from the mine of information here -

1. An iphone 4s can apparently record 1080p HD video - is that what it does by default? I haven't stumbled across any options.

2. Can all videos be uploaded just as HD, for watching on fast or slow connections? e.g. does youtube automatically convert down for slow connections?

TIA

Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 14 Oct 12 at 10:29
 YouTube video questions - Zero
>> A couple of questions that I hope can be answered from the mine of information
>> here -
>>
>> 1. An iphone 4s can apparently record 1080p HD video - is that what it
>> does by default? I haven't stumbled across any options.

Yes thats what it records at but see below.

>> 2. Can all videos be uploaded just as HD, for watching on fast or slow
>> connections? e.g. does youtube automatically convert down for slow connections?
>>
>> TIA

You can dump your 1080 HD video on youtube straight from your phone, or you run it through a video editing package whereby you will have output options. 360, 480, 720, 1080. Note it can only offer the maximum that you loaded it at. Ie it can downscale but not upscale.

Once on youtube, regardless of what resolution you loaded it up as, youtube will offer the viewers 360, 480, 720 and 1080 as options . It defaults to 360 as standard for speedy downloads, but does not automatically choose resolution by line speed.

Check out my latest here, taken with the iPhone 4 (720 maximum)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RYOVDhb_zA

You will see its available for viewing at 360, 480 and 720.

Edit, you dont need a video editing package, you can dump from phone to you tube, and use the youtube editing tools onlline for cutting, transitions, titles, annotations etc.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 14 Oct 12 at 10:44
Very helpful, thanks.

Why would you not upload at maximum resolution? I think you have a 4S?
 YouTube video questions - Zero
I have a 4, not 4s so 720 is my maximum on the phone. When I use the Fuji camera that can record at 720 or 1080, so I record at 1080 and upload at that. Upload times are much longer of course.

Funnily I shot that scene last night with iPhone and Fuji, the iphone 720 source version came out better due to the horrifically difficult lighting conditions. The sound recorded on Iphones is horrid in comparison tho.
Cheers. Will have a look at your video.
 YouTube video questions - Dog
Re minds mi ov: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yKVhbIBgso
Latest Forum Posts