Computer Related > Need Laptop. Baffled. Computing Issues
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 47

Need Laptop. Baffled. - Manatee
Too much choice.

I can't manage without a laptop. I'm using the desktop at home but my little netbook isn't up to it when I'm out with clients (well, the client).

I need a reasonable sized screen, and something robust. I hate glossy screens having owned one (I think the Sony below might have one but I'm not sure). I don't need gigantic storage or gamesworthy graphics.

Here are four in the same price range -

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E520 Core i3 2350M 4GB 320GB DVD 15.6" Wide Win 7 Professional 64-Bit goo.gl/7gcPd

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15.6" Core i3-380M (4GB 500GB, W7Pro 64-bit)
goo.gl/UPb81

Dell Inspiron 15R Windows 8 64bit, 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i3-3110M processor (2.40 GHz, 3M cache) 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD goo.gl/9hKhd

SONY VAIO E Series SVE1512B1EW 15.5” Intel® Core™ i3-3110M processor Genuine Windows® 8 Memory: 4 GB Hard drive: 750 GB goo.gl/KQhFI

The Lenovo are supposed to be business machines, so presumably lower spec but sturdier. The Dell is a similar price and a better spec. The SOny is similar but a bit dearer. I had a VAIO a while back and it packed up inside of three years and the graphics went funny when it got hot for a while before that.

Should I spend more, or less? Or is one of the above a decent buy? I'm aware that consumer laptops in general are fragile things.

Comments welcome :-)

Need Laptop. Baffled. - Zero
Either of the thinkpads - you wont be disappointed. Dont rate Dell on reliability front (based on several thousand I managed a few years back) and wouldn't touch the Sony with a barge pole (unreliable, non standard drivers, too much crap loaded on them)
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - No FM2R
Agree on the thinkpad, agree on the Sony.

My Dell experience has been different (better) though.
Thank you both.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - Focusless
Couple of ThinkPad Edges with similar or better spec for less money (I think):
www.ebuyer.com/407067-lenovo-ideapad-g580-laptop-maagpuk
www.ebuyer.com/407066-lenovo-ideapad-g580-laptop-maap2uk
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - Bromptonaut
To me the 15.5" screen is too large for a SoHo machine but alternatives with optical drive etc at a reasonable price are few and far between.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - legacylad
For what its worth, I wanted a decent allrounder which I could use at home, in addition to my older desk top, and take with me on my travels.
After much consideration, the Samsung Q330 has proved an excellent choice.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - TeeCee
Personally I reckon 15" is the sweet spot, providing the smallest really usable display in a sensibly sized and easily portable package. 13 is somewhat on the small side.

Then again, my eyesight isn't quite what it once was.

+1 for Thinkpads. Bulletproof they are. Lenovo seem to be doing a sterling job of maintaining the reputation for solid engineering built by IBM, despite misgivings over the buyout at the time.

Of the few I have, the Thinkpad is the only one that I've never had to fix and a quick polish will make look as if it just came out of the box.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - Dog
I find my 13.whatever Ideapad more-than usable - I zoom in on IE & Chrome, and use a cordless mouse.

My main machine (desktop) has a 22" widescreen which I sit 3ft away from, I'd go bigger next time, monitor wise,
but stick with a 13.3 lap job.
>> Couple of ThinkPad Edges with similar or better spec for less money (I think):
>> www.ebuyer.com/407067-lenovo-ideapad-g580-laptop-maagpuk
>> www.ebuyer.com/407066-lenovo-ideapad-g580-laptop-maap2uk

Ah...thanks. Those links are for "Ideapads"? I think they are a consumer rather than business machine? So more comparable with the Dell but less of a known quantity perhaps.

The Thinkpad Edge is the low end of the business range.

Bromp, it's the spreadsheets y'see. Fit more numbers on. I like numbers.

Actually I used to get fed up with carting a 15" laptop around when I was travelling, but smaller ones do seem generally dearer.
>> Ah...thanks. Those links are for "Ideapads"?

Apologies Manatee - I was looking at a list with Edges in it, but failed to spot that the ones I picked weren't. Time for bed I think.
No apology needed, thanks!

Legacylad's suggestion looks nice, but they are £600 ish. It seems to cost about 30% more to get the same same in a 13" as a comparable 15".
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - Dog
I've a Lenovo Z370 and it's a blinder m8.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - Mike H
You could consider an Asus, although I'm not sure whether all the laptops come with glossy screens. I have had mine for over two years with absolutely no problems, they normally come top, or near top, of the reliability stakes which would be key for a business machine. Unfortunately it has a glossy screen, and like you I wouldn't have had one from choice.

I also have an Asus netbook with a matt screen, which has a truly fantastic display. No problems with that either.
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 10 Nov 12 at 12:51
I always specify AUSUS motherboards in any of my own or paid for builds, they usually work 100% first time without annoying glitches, have good updates and support. We have two Asus laptops in the house, my old laptop which is rugged and well built but way to flashy and loaded up with useless bling and rubbish features, and Nicoles netbook which is well built but again was loaded with rubbish software which I had to sort out. Someone did buy an Asus netbook on my recommendation but it broke within seconds of powering it on.

They tend not to be on the "good value for money" side now tho.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - RattleandSmoke
The Intel Core i3-380M is an antique now. It came out in 2010, it is the first generation of the I3 chips. We are now in the 3rd generation.
What does that mean in practice Rattle? Will it use more power and have poorer battery life than more up to date ones?

Any recommendations?
As a chip set its fine, the Intel I's are the best they ever made. For you the only difference the newer chip set will make is higher price. Put it like this it wouldn't make me reject those two Lenovos you mentioned.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - RattleandSmoke
But the new generation chips run that bit cooler, which should help the laptop last longer. I would just question how old the laptop itself is, it could be over a year old and old stock.
which is why it is cheaper.

The I's are inherently much cooler than previous cpus, heat is not an issue with any of them.
There's what sounds like a similar chassis with a "2nd gen" chip here and the 500GB HDD. Better? It seems to lack the eSATA port, whatever that is.

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 3259 - Core i3 2328M / 2.2 GHz - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - DVD-Writer - 15.6" wide 1366 x 768 / HD - Intel HD Graphics 3000
goo.gl/d68CK
That will do the job just as well as the first two lenovos you mentioned. an E-sata port is a physical standard for an external cable to an external Serial ATA hard disk drive.

You are just now starting to tip into the "chase the, meaningless in real life, numbers game" There is no way back from there.
Thanks. I think I'll just find the best price and buy it. At £400 the price is at par with all but the cheapest consumer ones so if if gets the thumbs up here it should do for me.

I'm trying not to look up processor benchmarks etc, though I did get a warm glow from the 7200rpm disk ...
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - spamcan61
>>
>> Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 3259 - Core i3 2328M / 2.2 GHz - Windows 7
>> Professional 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - DVD-Writer - 15.6" wide
>> 1366 x 768 / HD - Intel HD Graphics 3000
>> goo.gl/d68CK
>>
That's a very similar specification to my IdeaPad Z570, which copes with everything I throw at it including video editing. I did up the RAM to 8GB for an extra 15 quid.
>> I did up the RAM to 8GB for an extra 15 quid.

I'll do likewise, as I see the E530 comes with 1 x 4GB. Can't hurt ;-)
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - spamcan61
It was a pleasant surprise to find the machine had a spare RAM slot when bought, I was expecting to find 2x2GB lurking in there, the extra 4GB did seem to speed some apps. up a fair bit, including Office 2003 for some bizarre reason.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 10 Nov 12 at 20:25
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - sajid
i just ordered a ASUS K55VD-SX234V 15.5 inch intel i5 2310 6 gb ram 750gb hd and nvidia gt610 m for the sum of £550 at scan computers for my sister.

Mainly pick the i5 series, cpu are hyper threaded, 3rd generation ivy bridge, better battery life, and its windows 8 machine.

Need Laptop. Baffled. - BobbyG
I bought a Lenovo G580 a couple of months ago and very happy with it.

My only comment would be this is the third Lenovo in the family and I don't feel that the cases are that robust. They may well be as good as you get now but don't think its as robust as my old Acer Travelmate. especially the hinges.

Both of the other Lenovos have had to have their screens replaced due to accidental damage. OK, they are not supposed to have a remote control dropped on the top or being knowcked off a stool onto a carpet but other laptops I have had I am sure would have survived these intact.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - rtj70
>> i just ordered a ASUS K55VD-SX234V 15.5 inch intel

Check in the box when it arrives to see if the missing 0.1" is in there. :-)

I'd upgrade the RAM to 8GB too by chucking out the 2GB DIMM. The processor has dual channels and you'll be trying to run it asymmetrically. 6GB is an off amount to have. The dual channel memory controller cannot interleave with one channel with half the capacity.

EDIT: By the time they have this in stock next month... perhaps the spec will improve.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 11 Nov 12 at 22:35
>> >> i just ordered a ASUS K55VD-SX234V 15.5 inch intel
>>
>> Check in the box when it arrives to see if the missing 0.1" is in
>> there. :-)
>>
>> I'd upgrade the RAM to 8GB too by chucking out the 2GB DIMM. The processor
>> has dual channels and you'll be trying to run it asymmetrically. 6GB is an off
>> amount to have. The dual channel memory controller cannot interleave with one channel with half
>> the capacity.
>>
>>
>> EDIT: By the time they have this in stock next month... perhaps the spec will
>> improve.
>>

That quite a coincidence, i ordered for my sister a similar laptop to yours but still waiting for her stock at scan computers.

here the link

www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-k55vd-sx234v-laptop-intel-core-i5-2310-29ghz-6gb-mem-750gb-hdd-dvdrw-windows-8
Who said I ordered one? I replied to your post to ask where the missing 0.1" of display went for starters. And commented the 2/4GB memory modules were asymmetric and better to replace the 2GB one with a matching 4GB one.

I did add a comment as I wondered if you'd ordered from Scan :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 16 Nov 12 at 23:15
Thank you to those who gave advice.

I have ordered the Lenovo with the Core i3 2328M / 2.2 GHz goo.gl/d68CK

It was £396 and the 3 year on site parts and labour was an extra £57 with £50 cash back. I have looked for the catch in that and can't find it. I should also get another £22 odd back from topcashback who helpfully directed me to the PCWB website ;-) so £380 net after cashbacks.

There's also a free upgrade available to Win 8 pro (from Win 7 pro 64) if I want it (buy for £14.99 and cashback again).

This seems like a good deal to me as I am spending pretty much the minimum on a new laptop. I'll check that the installed memory is one stick before I order the extra 4GB.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - Skip
My 7 year old Dell laptop is dying and needs replacing. It is only used for internet browsing and emailing so am only looking for something basic and inexpensive. Any recommendations ?
>> My 7 year old Dell laptop is dying and needs replacing. It is only used
>> for internet browsing and emailing so am only looking for something basic and inexpensive. Any
>> recommendations ?

If its only email and browsing, you need one of the android tablets, or even better an Ipad.
Just what I was about to say.

My techie mate nudged somebody away from a Kindle Fire to Nexus 7 a few weeks ago and they are very pleased with it.
I had thought about a tablet but find them awkward to hold for long periods and prefer a keyboard over touch screen. I have got a netbook which is great, but the 10" screen is a bit small.
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - VxFan
>> I have got a netbook which is great, but the 10" screen is a bit small.

Is there a socket outlet so it can be connected to a bigger monitor?
>> Is there a socket outlet so it can be connected to a bigger monitor?
>>

There probably is but it wouldn't be very practical to use.
Based on my purchase of the Thinkpad E530 a few weeks ago, I'd go for a similar core-i3 - it runs much cooler than any other laptop I've used and has decent battery life.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest that one unless the virtually free 3 year onsite warranty appeals to you (if purchased before 31/12, £50 cashback) though it's fine for me*. Must check I got my cashback...

*it still doesn't wifi very well with the TalkTalk D-Link DSL-2780 router (they sent me another which is just as bad) but it works with others I've tried so I'm blaming the router - since reverting to my BT 2110 I've decided the wireless performance on other computers, icluding the iPhone, is better as well.
Yes I did get the cash back.
>> It is only used
>> for internet browsing and emailing so am only looking for something basic and inexpensive.

If you're really looking to keep costs down then £250 gets you 4GB RAM, 320GB disk + Windows 7 Home Premium. Won't be quick though:
www.ebuyer.com/394399-asus-x401a-laptop-x401a-wx115v

Note it's only a 14" screen, but that's 2" bigger than mine :)
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - Stuartli
I bought a Lenovo B560 from dabs about 18 months ago for £430 (i5); this is the latest offer from them, again with an i5, for £400!:

tinyurl.com/bdw95sy

At the time I also bought an excellent carry case for £10.08...:-)
just bought a laptop from scan, here the link,
www.scan.co.uk/products/156-msi-ge60-0nd-285uk-i7-3630qm-8gb-ddr3-750gb-sata-hdd-dvdrw-gtx660m-2gb-gddr5-win-7-hp

For the money its good value for money, as i have a gaming pc i wanted a laptop that also allowed you to game
Not many on here will want to pay close to £1000 for a laptop. And those that do probably decide to go for something like a MacBook Pro or similar models from the likes of Sony.

You often refer to deals at Scan... one might wonder if you work there or have links (although I refer to them too occasionally). Maybe I'll pop in to Scan on Saturday when I'm at the footy and ask to see Sajid :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 2 Jan 13 at 21:36
lol rtj70, no i dont work there, i been going to them for many years now built my recent pc and now i have bought this laptop, you get what you pay for, i just wanted some similar features to what my desktop does

I been looking at laptops from other makes, sony do make good laptops but they are overpriced, especially if you want to upgrade hd or ram, and their graphics chip is a bit weedy for gaming needs

Last edited by: sajid on Wed 2 Jan 13 at 22:35
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - ....
Does anyone have a view of the Asus VivoBook S200/X202/S400 ?

I notice it's available as a 11.3" i3 and 14" i5 or an 11.3" with a lesser processor for about £50 less.
What's the difference between Win8 and Win8 Pro? I see the X202 is available with the same spec as the S200 bit with Win8 Pro vs Win8. All come with QWERTY keyboards and touch screens and are not country specific i.e. with QWERTZ keyboards.
>> Does anyone have a view of the Asus VivoBook S200/X202/S400 ?
>>
>> I notice it's available as a 11.3" i3 and 14" i5 or an 11.3" with
>> a lesser processor for about £50 less.
>> What's the difference between Win8 and Win8 Pro?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions
 Need Laptop. Baffled. - PeterS
I bought a Asus S200E last week when I realised that I didn't actually own a working Windows PC/laptop. The hard drive had packed up in the old Fujitsu laptop, and although it was quite good enough for my home needs I didn't see much point in trying to fix a 7 year old machine. I've got the company laptop of course, but its nice to have my own.

I just looked for a cheapish, small, locally available machine, and have to admit I didn't even realise that touchscreen laptops existed at this end of the market. Our work machines are HP Elitebooks, and I did like the look of the HP machine that has a detachable touchscreen so that it can be used as a tablet or a laptop. However we already have a couple of iPads in the house, so paying the £1k or so that it costs was not really sensible

The Asus was the one I went with (although there was also a non touchscreen small Samsung that I liked the look of), and I actually find Windows 8 and the combination of keyboard and touchscreen really good. I only wanted a small machine, really a glorified netbook in terms of size with its 11.6" screen, but its fine for the kind of spreadsheet work I'm likely to do at home. I paid £379 for it, though I expect you could get it for less if you shopped around. I just wanted to pick it up there and then!!
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 5 Jan 13 at 10:33
Latest Forum Posts