Computer Related > Kodak Printer Woes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 26

Kodak Printer Woes - Bromptonaut
Miss B is a student in second year of her degree course. Needs access to printer at all times.

We bought her a Kodak all in one (ESP 310 I think) last year when she started. By Christmas it had failed; would not print black correctly. PC World replaced under warranty. The replacement is now displaying same fault. She's tried obvious - new cartridge, head clean/align etc to no avail and we're assuming it's a failure.

Doubt PCW will be interested and anyway she's 100 miles away and has no car nor the assertiveness that comes with age.

I'm minded to tell her to order a replacement on my Amazon account. Not, I think another Kodak in spite of cheap ink.

Views or recommendations please for a cheapish printer/scanner with reasonable ink costs?
 Kodak Printer Woes - Duncan
I think you will find a number of threads on printers.

I had a Kodak ESP(?) which although cheap, with cheap ink cartridges, wasn't much cop, in my opinion.

Against the advice of a number of posters on C4P, I bought an Epson Stylus Office BX635FWD - a Which? Best Buy IIRC. It has served me very well.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10356&v=f
 Kodak Printer Woes - Clk Sec
>> I think you will find a number of threads on printers.
>> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10356&v=f
>>

I bought my latest printer following positive comment by Dog. Well, actually, he has the previous model:

www.amazon.co.uk/MG3150-Wireless-Colour-Inkjet-Printer/dp/B005IUUX0E/r
ef=dp_ob_title_ce

I much prefer it to the Dell all-in-one printer that I had previously, although it's a tad noisier.
 Kodak Printer Woes - Clk Sec
>> I bought my latest printer following positive comment by Dog. Well, actually, he has the
>> previous model:
>> www.amazon.co.uk/MG3150-Wireless-Colour-Inkjet-Printer/dp/B005IUUX0E/r
>> ef=dp_ob_title_ce

Too late to edit. This is the clickable version:

tinyurl.com/c7fxuja
 Kodak Printer Woes - Manatee
They get a lot of those Kodak printers back.

I just ordered one of these, Brother DCP-J315W www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0041X9NQ4 for my aunt on the basis of my experience with my DCP-J715W. About £70 for the 315.

My 715 has never jammed, even on the transparent thin Tesco value paper my wife bought, and the compatible inks are about £1 a cart. www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0045R72F0

We print loads of stuff for my work, the WI, Village Hall, Horticultural Society. The wireless print works every time (install the software on the PCs and link the printer to the AP) and I can even print pics from the iphone with the Brother iprint app.

The only thing I expect at some point is that the ink absorber pad will fill up, but as I saved at least £100 in ink vs. the HP it replaced I'm not too worried about that.

Kodak Printer Woes - Pat
Another vote for Canon.

I use the Pixma 4150 all in one and that has just replaced a 6 year old Canon Pixma.

The old one did all my business printing handouts for weeky training and a charity Newsletter 3 times a year. The new one does the same but is far more economical on ink so that's good enough for me.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 25 Nov 12 at 04:24
 Kodak Printer Woes - -
Canon MP970 all in one has been reliable enough, SWM does a lot of colour printing, reasonably cheap for aftermarket inks which it seems quite happy to use though colours maybe not as sharp as originals, must be 4+ years old now.

She would happily have another when needed.
 Kodak Printer Woes - Victorbox
>> Views or recommendations please for a cheapish printer/scanner with reasonable ink costs?

Any of the Canon range even the cheap ones. My son is also in his second year of university and his three-in-one £28 Canon printer is still going strong even though other students without printers borrow it as well!
Last edited by: Victorbox on Sun 25 Nov 12 at 12:00
 Kodak Printer Woes - Zero
Yup Canon.
 Kodak Printer Woes - bathtub tom
>> The replacement is now displaying same fault.

Someone's got to do this:

To have one faulty Kodak printer is unfortunate, to have two, seems like carelessness.

;>)
 Kodak Printer Woes - Bromptonaut
Thanks for suggestions so far.

Having had a panic about it on Friday- need to print NOW Dad - she's concluded she can manage three weeks until Christmas vac with uni/mates printers. This (a) gives time to think and (b) allows me to get the thing on the bench at leisure and examine it carefully for dirt, congealed ink etc. with access to decent tools and solvents.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 25 Nov 12 at 15:16
 Kodak Printer Woes - rtj70
>> allows me to get the thing on the bench at leisure and examine it carefully for dirt,
>> congealed ink etc. with access to decent tools and solvents.

Your time is cheap. You might sort it and might not. It might go wrong again. These things are fairly cheap.

Personally, I'd have a quick look and then decide on buying a replacement (Canon). Part of my decision on time spent investigating and fixing would be on the level of ink in the cartridges. Are you losing lots of ink. I tend to think of my time in how much I'd earn if working although you'd be looking at this in your own time. You do the maths....

... different maths to if a PC/laptop/Mac had problems. You'd want to sort that if it was easy to fix. But a printer is cheap to buy.

And the last computer I agreed to look at to resolve a lockup took me weeks on and off (as a favour) but real time would mean I should have charged a lot. It was a favour and so I charged nothing but elapsed time was weeks.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 25 Nov 12 at 20:37
 Kodak Printer Woes - Kevin
As bathtub tom alluded to:

The first one failed under warranty.

The replacement has failed with the same fault less than a year later.

How many times a year do you want to "get the thing on the bench"?

Bin it and buy her a new one, preferably Canon.
 Kodak Printer Woes - CGNorwich
Printers are almost given away. It is the razor blade model of marketing. They are often sold for little more than the price of a set of ink cartridges. For example a basic Canon IP2702 is sold on Amazon for £32. It contains a set of ink cartridges that will cost £23 to replace. They are not simply not worth fixing.
 Kodak Printer Woes - Manatee
Get a Canon. It you buy a Brother and it goes wrong, I'll have to take the blame on my own.
Get a brother, when it goes wrong we can all then gloat and say "I told you so"
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 26 Nov 12 at 08:25
 Kodak Printer Woes - PhilW
"To have one faulty Kodak printer is unfortunate, to have two, seems like carelessness"

We're on our third (free) replacement in just over a year- never again!!
Trouble is as well, that the cheap cartridges are a bargain - except that in order to return printer for replacement you have to leave cartridges in - and so far have left 4 nearly full cartridges in returned printers!!
Ironically, the original Kodak printer was for an Epson which had served us well for many years - until I tried some cheap replacement cartridges.
 Kodak Printer Woes - rtj70
Never again... well they are bankrupt so not likely to happen again.
 Kodak Printer Woes - PhilW
"We're on our third (free) replacement in just over a year"

Well, that didn't last long did it? (2 months)
Think it's the power supply thing this time - and once again just replaced cartridges.
I guess they will offer another replacement rather than money back but I can't be bothered.
Went out and bought a Canon MG4150 - don't know how good they are but at £40 (at WHS with a 20% discount) it should serve the purpose.
Having had an Epson and 3 Kodaks that said they were wireless but I couldn't get the wireless to work, I was pleasantly surprised that I loaded the sofware on desktop and laptop and wireless connection worked!
 Kodak Printer Woes - TeeCee
I have to vote Epson.

The only inkjets I've found where the cleaning routine will consistantly bring a well-clogged cartridge back to life and thus the only ones where you can guarantee to get your money's worth[1] out of the ink cartridges.

My last three inkjet printers have been Epsons and all of 'em were binned due to upgrade rather than failure (first going from a four to six ink system for photos and the second when I went for wireless and an integrated scanner over wires and seperate devices).

Also the only wireless printer/scanner/copier systems I know of that have fully-functional wireless drivers/utilities for Linux and Android available.

[1] You have to factor in that the cleaning routine chews ink though.
>> I have to vote Epson.
>>
>> The only inkjets I've found where the cleaning routine will consistantly bring a well-clogged cartridge
>> back to life and thus the only ones where you can guarantee to get your
>> money's worth[1] out of the ink cartridges.

My loft was full of dead clogged epsons at one time. Once the head is clogged its a dead box. At least with the cheaper canons a new cartridge means a new head.
 Kodak Printer Woes - Duncan
>> My loft was full of dead clogged epsons at one time. Once the head is
>> clogged its a dead box. At least with the cheaper canons a new cartridge means
>> a new head.
>>

If they were dead, why put them in the loft?

It does beg the question - what else have you got up there?

Still, there are some funny folk in your neck of the woods!
 Kodak Printer Woes - bathtub tom
>> My loft was full of dead clogged epsons

>>what else have you got up there?

Nothing, it's full.

;>)
 Kodak Printer Woes - devonite
HP Laserjet 4L - had mine Donkey`s years, printed tens of thousands of pages and it`s still on only it`s second Toner cartridge!
 Kodak Printer Woes - madf
Any Samsung will be cheap and last years.. And the ink is quite cheap. PCW have deals at times..
tinyurl.com/cue35ys
>> HP Laserjet 4L - had mine Donkey`s years, printed tens of thousands of BLACK AND WHITE pages and
>> it`s still on only it`s second Toner cartridge!

I agree with you tho, fabulous printers.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 26 Nov 12 at 15:21
 Kodak Printer Woes - Aretas
Some years ago I had an inkjet printer failure, had a hard think about whether I really needed colour, decided I didn't and bought an HP Laserjet 1020. Never regretted the decision. Printer has been 100% reliable, is fast and I suspect much cheaper than an inkjet to run.

If you need the odd colour photo use an online service such as Snapfish. Couldn't believe the recent offer of up to 75 prints for 1p each.
Latest Forum Posts