Computer Related > What happened to my iphone data allowance? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 28

What happened to my iphone data allowance? - Mapmaker
First two months I used a bit over half of my 1GB allowance. Never really paid any attention to how it was being used, other than noting that I had enough to bottle it and sell it.

This month, twenty days through the month, I have over-run and am being charged at a stonking 83p per MB over the 'free' i.e. pre-paid allowance. I have turned off mobile data.

But where did it all go to? What have I done differently this month? I have listened to 10 minutes on Spotify. I have listened to 45 minutes of internet radio through WiFi. I left the voice memo recorder on for 8 hours, and have listened to voice memos, but they're all on the phone, aren't they?

I'm utterly bemused.
Should I upgrade to iOS6? I have read of certain people claiming to have used WiFi abroad who have been charged as if it was 3G. Apple deny a problem, but suggest upgrading.

If I look at the 'Mobile Network Data' in settings, it informs me I have sent and received 1.3GB each. I cannot really think what I have sent.

If you assume 0.7 for each of the first two months, then that leaves 1.2 for the current month, so I guess it adds up. But does 'Mobile Network Data' include data sent over WiFi?
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - No FM2R
I'm guessing that your phone is checking its location, checking and potentially updating apps, and checking for new data such as e-mail frequently.

You need to work your way through and see what's happening. Although, depending on how you use it, 1GB isn't that high.
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - VxFan
>> First two months I used a bit over half of my 1GB allowance.

Download the App Onavo Extend.

www.onavo.com/apps/iphone_extend

itunes.apple.com/gb/app/onavo-extend-data-usage-get/id423545287?mt=8

It makes your 3G data allowance go further, and also shows how much you would have used had you not had the App.

Also, if you download the App Onavo Count it gives you a breakdown of what Apps are using your mobile data.

www.onavo.com/

itunes.apple.com/gb/app/onavo-count-data-usage-manager/id543547474?mt=8
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 12:29
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - Manatee
You didn't turn off wifi and forget to turn it back on at some point?

Mine runs to the 3rd of each month. Just looked and I have used 68MB of my 1GB this month, with three days to go.

Mysteriously I have £1.13 of charges, 88p for 'messages' (I have unlimited) and 25p for 'other' I'll now have to look into that.
>> Mysteriously I have £1.13 of charges, 88p for 'messages' (I have unlimited) and 25p for
>> 'other' I'll now have to look into that.

Some of it was "media messages" which turn out to be two sets of contact details I "shared" with my son, so I won't be doing that again.

Some more was 3 "premium texts" at 8.33p each to my credit card company for recent transaction details, a service the card issuer describes as a "free text message response".

Now I know what not to do.
Well, I have downloaded Onavo. It has turned on the VPN. Should I expect this? Should I worry about this? And what does it mean?
I'll confess that I don't use Onavo (I rarely use 3G so won't go anywhere near my 1GB limit) but I know others that do, and it's basically plug and play. Install the App, then launch it and it should automatically configure itself, along with the necessary settings, for you.
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - Zero
Where did your data get used? Almost certainly one of the location services apps that was constantly updating its location and downloading map data

Dont worry about the VPN, its a secure network through your existing network, (think of it as a lead screen pipe through your data connection)

Upgrade to 6? up to you, I haven't because its of no use to me and the maps are crap. It wont cause you any more usage problems than 5 tho.

>> Where did your data get used? Almost certainly one of the location services apps that
>> was constantly updating its location and downloading map data

I think you might be onto something with the map data. I have location services on and it doesn't seem to cause a problem - google latitude works all the time even when the app isn't open, and I have iPhone Friends going too (I'm hoping to get some). Still don't use beyond 100MB a month unless I'm away and without wifi.

I'm never really sure which apps are actually doing stuff when you aren't looking at them If I had used maps, but not 'closed' it when I went on to something else, would it continue to update?

I tend to close apps at least once a day. I'm sure most among the iPhone/pad users I know don't know the concept or ever close any. My aunt was having trouble with her ipad (she'd moved the lock button) and the first thing I found was that every app was open - including those she didn't know she had, that her grandchildren had installed.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 14:08
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - John H
>> the maps are crap.
>>

itunes.apple.com/us/app/here-maps/id577430143?mt=8

".... provides a "rich mapping experience" complete with free turn-based navigation and real-time data.

Based on the same NAVTEQ mapping data used by most in-car navigation systems, ...
.... covers almost 200 countries and even features community maps in selected territories, created and edited by other users. With the return of Google Maps to the App Store currently uncertain, this is an essential download for anyone who wants to avoid getting lost. "

YMMV
Last edited by: John H on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 14:47
Raikkonen and Apple Maps

www.youtube.com/watch?&v=stPzkJCbMKE

Be quick, before Bernie & FOM take it down.

>> itunes.apple.com/us/app/here-maps/id577430143?mt=8
>>
>> ".... provides a "rich mapping experience" complete with free turn-based navigation and real-time data.
>>
>> Based on the same NAVTEQ mapping data used by most in-car navigation systems, ...
>> .... covers almost 200 countries and even features community maps in selected territories, created and
>> edited by other users. With the return of Google Maps to the App Store currently
>> uncertain, this is an essential download for anyone who wants to avoid getting lost. "
>>
>> YMMV

MM wont vary, seen the reviews? Crap, rubbish and Garbage seem to predominate.
>> MM wont vary,
>>

I take it that you actually tried it and tested it without bias?

>> seen the reviews? Crap, rubbish and Garbage seem to predominate.
>>

crap reviews are from Apple fanboys.

Independent reviewers rate "Here Maps" as miles better than Apple maps. Anthing has got to be better than that crap Apple stuff, for which Richard Williamson got fired earlier this week.

>> >> MM wont vary,
>> >>
>>
>> I take it that you actually tried it and tested it without bias?
>>
>> >> seen the reviews? Crap, rubbish and Garbage seem to predominate.
>> >>
>>
>> crap reviews are from Apple fanboys.
>>
>> Independent reviewers rate "Here Maps" as miles better than Apple maps. Anthing has got to
>> be better than that crap Apple stuff, for which Richard Williamson got fired earlier this
>> week.

So you suggest that I dump the existing good map app by upgrading to a system with a crap map app, and then compensating by adding a not quite so crap map app.

Heres my finger - Swivel.
The maps app is dreadful. My village doesn't get a caption, though you can find it by searching; but the butchers shop that closed 15 years ago is clearly marked - as a restaurant, which it never was.

At least Tring has now been moved about 3 miles to its actual location.

I don't really use maps on the iphone, but if I need a street map I use Outside or Googlemaps on the Chrome browser, which works much faster for me than the Safari one.
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - TeeCee
>> I don't really use maps on the iphone, but if I need a street map
>> I use Outside or Googlemaps on the Chrome browser, which works much faster for me
>> than the Safari one.
>>

You do realise that Apple do not permit third-party browsers on the iPhone? The iPhone version of Chrome is a skin over the, er, Safari engine.
>> Where did your data get used? Almost certainly one of the location services apps that
>> was constantly updating its location and downloading map data

IF it is a location service that's draining your data allowance, you should be able to see the location services icon on all the time in the top RH corner of the screen, just left of the battery icon.

In the setting menu > privacy > Location Services; it'll tell you what Apps have recently accessed location services. A purple icon for recently used your location, a grey icon that has used your location in the last 24 hours.
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - No FM2R
Your battery usage/life may well be an indicator of unseen activity.

Is the battery running down faster than you would expect?
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - rtj70
I assume you can install an app on the iPhone that monitors what application has used how much mobile data? Not going to be 100%.

I've got 3G Watchdog on Android and it's accurate enough. You can see usage for the 'plan' (so you set start/end dates), day, week or month. Works well and it will alert you on defined thresholds. And tracks roaming usage too. Wifi for that matter.

I know Android 4.x.x also monitors this stuff. I find 3G Watchdog better and I've already bought a copy whilst using Android 2.x.x so it's free.

EDIT: Should have said/clarified it breaks down usage by applications for plan, day, week, month.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 17:56
>> I assume you can install an app on the iPhone that monitors what application has used how much mobile data?

I mentioned it above (Onavo) and Mapmaker says he's now installed it.
You need Onavo Count as well if you want to see where it goes. Looks good.
Well, BBC Radio iPlayer is a thirsty app if left on and running in the background. 2-3 MB per day at least. I might just delete this.

Otherwise I think it must have either (1) been a bit of video I watched at home when perhaps I was out of range of the WiFi, or (2) maps when in a car if I was zoomed in too close.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I have just been pointed in the direction of an iphone app called "My Data Manager". It counts mobile data very accurately (matches the O2 usage count), also wifi data. You can set up your monthly allowance and bill date so it can show an unused balance. It also draw a few graphs and shows usage by location.
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - rtj70
Sounds like it does what 3G Watchdog does on Android. And Android 4.x.x (Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean) does this too but 3G Watchdog is better. It predicts based on usage and will alert. I'd recommend it to anyone on an Android phone.
Yes it does extrapolate to forecast usage too, and shows a daily "budget".
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - Meldrew
I on a contract with Voda and an iphone and I have 500mb a month. I travel a lot and use it to check train and flight departures. When I am not logged onto wi-fi thru a hotspot I assume that I am doing it thru 3G. I have use 100MB in three weeks. I don't watch any live news or streamed stuff and I have never got close to using my 500b
I have 500mb with O2, I use data a lot, and in 3 years I have busted my allowance once.
 What happened to my iphone data allowance? - smokie
1gb here, on a £5 pm sim only with Virgin (also has 100 mins, unlimited texts - bit of a bargain actually).

I do all sorts regularly except streaming stuff and have never come close to the data limit
Latest Forum Posts