Computer Related > Hard disk image Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 3

Hard disk image - FocalPoint
Sorry to trespass on the good will of those who helped before, but I have some points which I can't find answers to - despite extensive Googling.

Following advice when I had a virus infection a few days back, I bought another external hard drive; I now have two - on the larger of which I have copied as a back-up all my valuable data - documents, photos etc.

I downloaded the Macrium program and after running that I have a CD Rescue Disk (which I assume is useful only if the PC won't boot by itself) and I was then prompted to to install WAIK (Windows Automatic Installation Kit), which I put on my smaller external hard drive, and then to make an image of my Drive C:, which again I put on the same external hard drive. My thinking was, that if I am having trouble with my internal hard drive, there's not much point in having too much recovery stuff on it.

My question is, what do I actually do if my Drive C: fails? The Macrium program is on Drive C:, so presumably I wouldn't be able to access it and in fact if Drive C: isn't working how can I even access my external hard drive?

Sorry to ask what is probably a very basic question, but I feel I've just invested time and money in something which I don't know how to use.
 Hard disk image - Zero
You answered your own question, You boot the recovery cd that you created earlier. That gets you access to your recovery hard drive and the images thereon.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Dec 12 at 12:37
 Hard disk image - John H
>> My question is, what do I actually do if my Drive C: fails? The Macrium
>> program is on Drive C:, so presumably I wouldn't be able to access it and
>> in fact if Drive C: isn't working how can I even access my external hard
>> drive?
>>
>> Sorry to ask what is probably a very basic question, but I feel I've just
>> invested time and money in something which I don't know how to use.
>>

In the earlier thread, I pointed you to video tutorials by Macrium.

They are also on Youtube. www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

The one which relates to your question is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfQ6xB3pCh4

"Restore an image using Windows PE in Macrium Reflect v5
This tutorial shows how it is easy to recover your system using the Macrium Reflect Windows PE rescue disk."

Hard disk image - FocalPoint
Thank you both and sorry to John H for not having followed his links; I must admit to being resistant to "hold-your-hand" things and, for example, do not read flat-pack instructions. Make of that what you will, but it's probably that I want to understand basically what I'm doing and then suss it out the detail as I go along.

However, with the complexity (and sometimes lack of intuitiveness) of computers I probably don't stand much chance!
Latest Forum Posts