Computer Related > Extension Leads. Computing Issues
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 9

Extension Leads. - maltrap
I'm looking for an extension lead to connect my Sky box to my router, can someone tell me the name of the plug so i know what to search for, many thanks.
 Extension Leads. - CGNorwich
Just search for Skybox router cable.

www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Broadband-Extension-Router-Internet/dp/B005DDP8EW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354461201&sr=8-1

Extension Leads. - maltrap
Thanks CG.
 Extension Leads. - rtj70
Aren't you looking for a means of connecting the Ethernet connection of the Sky+ HD box to your router to access on demand. Then if so forget the above.

If the router is close enough then you can run an Ethernet cable between the two. Probably not an option for most.

So other options leave a Wifi connection or a Home Plug setup.

For Wifi Sky do their own box: www.sky.com/products/kit/wireless-connector/

But options on Amazon etc. for less.

Or lots of options for Homeplug, e.g.

www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354481762&sr=8-1

The link posted by CG is a phone extension lead you could use with Sky ADSL routers.
 Extension Leads. - devonite
Am I being a bit "Slow" this morning? do you still need a telephone line to receive sky broadband through a sky box?
A chap asked me last night what laptop to get for around £400, and how to get internet, I told him the first thing would be to get his telephone line BB enabled. He said he hadn`t got one,(phone line) but was going to do it through his Sky box like his mate had.
 Extension Leads. - rtj70
You're being slow this morning.

Sky broadband, as in their ADSL service, comes down a phone line to the Sky supplied ADSL router/modem. It has nothing to do with the Sky set-top box at all.

Now you're also meant to plug in the Sky set-top box to a phone line for the first 12 months - it occasionally phones Sky.

And until recently, to get on demand programs on a Sky HD box you had to have it connected by Ethernet to Sky's broadband service. But now you can use any broadband provider for this. I have mine connected to by BT broadband connection and on-demand programmes work fine (e.g. iPlayer).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 12:13
Ah! - Wasn`t being that slow after all! - he will need a phone-line installing as I thought! That`ll cost him! - Dongles are absolutely u/s around this area.

Thanks!
 Extension Leads. - rtj70
Or if Virgin Media are in the area, he can get cable broadband which doesn't need a phone line. But then he'd be better off ditching Sky and getting a Virgin Media package if he went down the VM broadband route.

I meant you were being slow in not thinking "hang on how do you get broadband via a set-top box?". Was the friend thinking Sky do satellite broadband?! And you'd need a return channel, e.g. phone line for the requests. This is how satellite broadband from the providers often works. High latencies with satellite broadband too.

Another option is to approach a neighbour who's willing for them to use their wifi. And then get an adapter for Ethernet to wifi for use on the Sky box.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 15:52
No cable within 26miles! - got a feeling once he gets an installation quote, option 3 will be his choice ;-) approaching a neighbor may or may not be part of it tho` ;-(
 Extension Leads. - TeeCee
Any Ethernet / network cable. Plug is RJ45 at each end.
Latest Forum Posts