Computer Related > VMware/Ubuntu/DNS problem Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 16

VMware/Ubuntu/DNS problem - Focusless
I'm working from home with a VPN connection to the company network. In a Windows 7 command prompt I can ping a company server using both "name" and "name.x.y" to identify the server.

But in Ubuntu running under VMplayer, I can only ping "name", and someone suggested it's a DNS issue. Any ideas what I can do to resolve it?

(I've raised the issue with company IT but it won't be high priority.)
BTW VMplayer Network Adapter setting is 'NAT: Used to share the host's IP address'.
 VMware/Ubuntu/DNS problem - rtj70
I assume your Ubuntu VM is not setup to have DNS configured to use the company DNS servers?

In this instance using NAT is not the issue - it would be the same if you had the VM bridged to your home or work network. Actually if as I suspect DNS is not setup, then I am surprised you can ping by the short hostname - unless there's an entry for that in your local host file on the Ubuntu VM.

What happens if you run nslookup on the VM? i.e. start nslookup in a shell and then type in the fully qualified domain name of something on your company network.

If you don't want to mess with DNS settings, and it's only one or two servers you need to connect to, you could always put in entries in the local host file on the Ubuntu VM including both the short and fully qualified domain names, e.g.

10.20.1.3 myserver myserver.company.com
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 4 Dec 12 at 12:46
>> I assume your Ubuntu VM is not setup to have DNS configured to use the
>> company DNS servers?

How would I find that out?
 VMware/Ubuntu/DNS problem - car4play
In Ubuntu launch terminal and at the prompt key in :
nslookup apple.com

What does it say?

>> What does it say?

Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: apple.com
Address: 17.149.160.49
Name: apple.com
Address: 17.172.224.47
So 127.0.0.1 (localhost) is doing the name resolution.

you can also try
cat /etc/resolv.conf

Edit that file to be the name server you need to use. i.e. look up what Windows is using and put that address in there.
i.e. edit the file /etc/resolv.conf
line
nameserver x.x.x.x

I haven't used Ubuntu but it probably has a graphical editor to allow you to do this easily.
>> you can also try
>> cat /etc/resolv.conf

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search localdomain

>> Edit that file

doh :)

I'll try to find out what I need to do to change it; thanks.
Use Network Manager to change the DNS Settings.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 4 Dec 12 at 14:17
>> Use Network Manager to change the DNS Settings.

There's a 'Network Connections', but can't see anything about DNS in there.
I googled for changing DNS entries for Ubuntu and found mention of Network Manager.

If it was only one machine I wanted it to resolve the FQDN to an IP, I'd just edit the host file ;-)
oops - yes - the perils of a desktop linux.
This is where I graciously bow out. ;-(

This might be useful though:

www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/
>> www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/

Sorry c4p - thanks for that, but that stuff is a bit beyond my limited linux knowledge. It's not urgent, so for now I'm going to wait for IT.
If it's only one or two servers then add their entries to your /etc/hosts file.
Thanks, but as it's not urgent I'd like IT to find out what's 'wrong' with my setup and hopefully do a proper fix.
You already know what's wrong with it. It is not using the company's DNS servers and therefore cannot resolve a host name to an IP address. The fix is to configure it to use the correct DNS servers.
But as mentioned above I don't know how to do that - I might be able to work it out given enough time, but I've got more important things to do. So better to leave it to someone who (hopefully) knows what they're doing, and it is their job after all. But if you want to provide step-by-step instructions, I'll give it a go.
Latest Forum Posts