Computer Related > Magic memory stick Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Aretas Replies: 6

Magic memory stick - Aretas
Couldn't find my memory stick this morning. Thought back to last use and remembered putting it in my shirt pocket yesterday morning. "Margaret - have you washed my shirt yet?". "Yes! Machine spinning now".

Retrieved a washed and spun stick. Works as if nothing had happened - files all okay. And its nylon hanging loop is pristine.
 Magic memory stick - No FM2R
Reasonably frequently I wash the childrens' keyboards as a result of coca cola, crumbs, spaghetti, goodness knows what. They work just fine, as long as they're dried properly before use.
 Magic memory stick - rtj70
The Gadget Show once did a test to destruction test of some memory sticks. They went through worse than a wash.

Without power to the USB stick, it won't have got damaged. Plugging it in when still wet probably not advisable though.

Step son once knocked a phone off his bed... and it landed in a pint glass of water. I dried it out naturally over a few days and it worked for years afterwards.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 23:11
 Magic memory stick - TeeCee
Some phones are better than others. As an example, the iPhone is well known for being seriously allergic to wetness, to the extent that Apple fit three moisture sensors and refuse to honour the warranty if any of 'em have tripped. Top tip: Never use an iPhone outdoors in the rain. It's expensive, as one of my colleagues found out the hard way.

I once took an old Samsung A300 swimming while on holiday. When I finally noticed, it was possible to see the water sloshing around inside it through the screen.
I dismantled it[1], left the bits to dry in the Croatian sunshine, reassembled and it all worked perfectly.

[1] While it may be considered a tad geeky to take a set of miniature screwdrivers on holiday, the smug satisfaction to be gained from actually needing them cannot be overstated.
 Magic memory stick - Focusless
>> Reasonably frequently I wash the childrens' keyboards as a result of coca cola

IIRC many years ago someone in IT told me that diet coke is ok; it's the sugar in ordinary coke that causes problems.
 Magic memory stick - devonite
>> it was possible to see the water sloshing around inside it through the screen.

We regularly fill our washer with water, and that works just fine as well! ;-)
 Magic memory stick - Zero
Dont get a picture on it tho do you, so it must be broke.
Latest Forum Posts