Computer Related > New Laptop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 11

New Laptop - Pat
I need a new laptop but I want one with a full size VGA port.

I've spent most of the afternoon searching for one but to buy it online, the descriptions don't really tell you whether it has one or not.

I'd like a Lenovo too.

Any ideas?

Pat
 New Laptop - Manatee
The one I bought recently is still here Pat.

www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/buy-rent/P145213P?from=bundle-component

and the £50 cash back when you buy the 3 year onsite cover for an extra £57.50 has been extended to 31/1/13. That was what sold it to me.

www.lenovo-promotions.com/notebook

It does have an old style 15 pin VGA port. and HDMI + 4 x USB.

You can up the memory to 8GB fairly cheaply

www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=BAA69B99A5CA7304
 New Laptop - Pat
That sounds like the one I want Manatee, and it's still on Windows 7 too.

I also need a newer copy of Microsoft Office...mine is the 2002 version!

Pat
 New Laptop - Zero

>> I also need a newer copy of Microsoft Office...mine is the 2002 version!
>>
>> Pat

no you don't. You dont need it and you wont like it.
 New Laptop - spamcan61
>>
>> >> I also need a newer copy of Microsoft Office...mine is the 2002 version!
>> >>
>> >> Pat
>>
>> no you don't. You dont need it and you wont like it.
>>

Agreed, as a long term Office user (from Word 6 IIRC) it's taken me a year to learn to drive Office 2010 as fast as I can drive Office 2003, and that's using it pretty much every working day.

OpenOffice / Libre Office would be a much easier transition, assuming you're not worried about docx comaptability - which is becoming more of an issue as more people transition to Office 2007 onwards.
 New Laptop - VxFan
>> it's still on Windows 7 too.

*if* you did want to upgrade to Windows 8 then MS are currently offering an upgrade for £14.99 (offer applies if you buy a Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013)

windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/upgrade-offer
 New Laptop - Pat
Thanks VX, but I'd like all of them running on the same OS if possible!

Pat
 New Laptop - John H
>> The one I bought recently is still here Pat.
>>
>> www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/buy-rent/P145213P?from=bundle-component
>>

Grab it while you can if you want Windows 7, as those versions are being phased out.
For your business, you could get it VAT free.

For example John Lewis have only Win8 Lenovos now, and their equivalent to the above E530 is the G850
www.johnlewis.com/231740078/Product.aspx

Last edited by: John H on Wed 9 Jan 13 at 17:27
 New Laptop - Pat
Thanks John and Manatee, it's ordered online and should be here early next week!

Pat
 New Laptop - Manatee
I take it you went for the 3 year onsite Pat? Mine came through OK, credited to bank account.

The registration site for the cover wasn't so straightforward - I just emailed them in the end and they did it. I should be able to find the details if you get stuck.

The other thing was that the laptop "knows" the amount of remaining warranty but mine said 270 days, not a year. After registration of the cover, this corrected itself and it now expires on the third birthday of the purchase.
 New Laptop - Pat
No, I didn't Manatee!

I expect to get some flak for not foing so on here but I have a dislike of both PC World and onsite extended warranty deals.

For the use my laptop gets I would expect it to last at least 4 years, after all my old Dell is still going strong after 10 years...even if it is a bit slow now:)

Pat
 New Laptop - Manatee
No flak from me, your choice. I never buy extended warranty, but a net cost of £7.50 changed my mind.

It's a Lenovo one not a PCW one.
Latest Forum Posts