Computer Related > Mirror/backup software Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 17

Mirror/backup software - Dave
I'm looking for something for my main computer that has all my accounts, website, email contacts etc. It's an old one running XP, and doesn't have huge amounts of data on it.

I was looking at something like Norton Ghost, as a quick and easy way to copy the whole lot, data, settings, etc. Is it good stuff? And where do I back it on to, a flash drive stick?
 Mirror/backup software - Zero
Ghost is overkill - that replicates the whole drive, you just need a backup program something like Comodo backup is a good place to start. Other on here, will of course have their own preferences.

You could look at backing up your data on the cloud, like dropbox for example.
 Mirror/backup software - lancara
Presumably you've rejected the backup facility built-in (or available) for XP:

support.microsoft.com/kb/308422
 Mirror/backup software - movilogo
Since you said not huge amount of data, to have automatic backup of your data files, you can use free Dropbox or Sugarsync.

Mirror/backup software - Dave
I had a look at the XP thing, but it seems it's only for files and stuff. In the event of a hard drive failure, I want to be able to stick a new one in (or buy a new computer), hit a few buttons, and be back to where I was - emails, files, pictures, favourites, modem etc. all in the correct places. I don't really want to be configuring stuff, reinstalling drivers, finding long lost discs etc. as I'm not terribly computer literate and want an easy life!

And I was trying to avoid the internet storage also, as without a computer it's difficult to access the web. It's ok if there's friends and neighbours with internet and support, but there aint!
 Mirror/backup software - John H
>> In the event of a hard drive failure, I want to be able
>> to stick a new one in (or buy a new computer), hit a few buttons,
>> and be back to where I was - emails, files, pictures, favourites, modem etc. all
>> in the correct places. I don't really want to be configuring stuff, reinstalling drivers, finding
>> long lost discs etc. as I'm not terribly computer literate and want an easy life!
>>

In that case, read this and then decide whether you are up to it:
www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=262885

Mirror/backup software - smokie
In my experience, the thread which John H links to might well be valid but restoring a computer from a Ghost disk is not that painful at all - even to a different size disk. It was a bit trickier restoring to a different computer, so if that's the intent then maybe that'd be one step too far. But Ghost does a good job - it's a mature product so has few bugs that "ordinary"users are likely to hit.

I've also used some Freeware to take an image but not yet had to re-apply the image so can't vouch for it's abilities. Clonezilla - clonezilla.org/
>> It was a bit trickier restoring to a different computer,
>> so if that's the intent then maybe that'd be one step too far.
>>

That is the point I was hoping the OP would glean from reading the link I posted.

Official MS advice on this subject:
"How to move a Windows installation to different hardware"
support.microsoft.com/kb/249694

Mirror/backup software - Zero
>> I had a look at the XP thing, but it seems it's only for files
>> and stuff. In the event of a hard drive failure, I want to be able
>> to stick a new one in (or buy a new computer),

Wont work with a new computer. An average computer user cant move one installed windows disk to another machine unless the machines are exactly the same.
 Mirror/backup software - rtj70
I've used Clonezilla to backup and restore a machine before now. It's fairly easy to use but not sure what someone saying they are computer illiterate would make of it.
>> I've used Clonezilla to backup and restore a machine
>>

.... identical or different hardware to original machine?

Mirror/backup software - rtj70
I was trying to rid someone computer of a virus or something that was making it crash. It took ages and in the end I decided it better the clone it before I did much tinkering. Then I decided to convert the clonezilla backup in virtual machine inside VMware to troubleshoot.

And then I tried fixing the real thing when I thought I'd figured out the cause.... and at some point things got messed up enough I decided to risk restoring the backup to the original machine and it worked fine.

No I didn't try moving Windows to another machine - too much on XP was installed during setup that means it's difficult to move and not worth the risk or hassle.
 Mirror/backup software - No FM2R
Ghost will do what you want.

However, if that is your chosen route then you still need to decide where you're going to store your copy, how often you will recreate it, etc. etc.

I would think you would be better to simply go and buy an external drive and do an image copy (copy the entire disk) and then frequent data/file copies.

Then use your favourite backup software. The one Zero recommends is as good as any, but as he says there are others.

That way you will be able to restore to the same machine with a new hard disk, or a different computer.
 Windows Backup Failed - Duncan
Dave, I hope you don't mind if I tack my query onto your thread.

I have tried to carry out a backup using the Windows utility. It fails.

I am trying to backup to a Seagate external hard disk drive. I get the message "Windows Backup skipped backing up system because one of the critical volumes is not having enough free space. Free up some space by deleting unnecessary files and try again". The Error code is 0x81000033.

Any ideas please what is wrong? there are 524 GB free out of 698GB.
 Windows Backup Failed - John H
>> I am trying to backup to a Seagate external hard disk drive. I get the
>> message "Windows Backup skipped backing up system because one of the critical volumes is not
>> having enough free space. Free up some space by deleting unnecessary files and try again".
>> The Error code is 0x81000033.
>>
>> Any ideas please what is wrong? there are 524 GB free out of 698GB.
>>

You've asked that question before.

If you're PC literate, one explanation of what is wrong and the suggested solution (three pages) is here:
www.pagestart.com/win7br0x8100003301.html
www.pagestart.com/win7br0x8100003302.html
www.pagestart.com/win7br0x8100003303.html

or do as Zero told you:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=9160&m=203433&v=e
Last edited by: John H on Thu 17 Jan 13 at 16:46
 Windows Backup Failed - busbee
If you have a Seagate drive connected you can use a free version of Acronis called DiscWizard from the Seagate site. I did that in August 2009, but then bought 'Acronis True Image Home' to use with other disks as well.

It has proved very reliable in producing a disk image onto another drive, whether that drive was installed as a second drive in the PC or hung on the front via USB and was tolerant of the use of a USB adapter to connect both serial and parallel drives, SATA, PATA.

Macrium Reflect is now favoured over Acronis, on some websites, due to unfavourable Acronis updates. Try googling. DiscWizard may still be the early one which was OK?
 Windows Backup Failed - Duncan
>> If you have a Seagate drive connected you can use a free version of Acronis
>> called DiscWizard from the Seagate site.

Thanks busbee.

I have done that and copied my C disk to the Seagate (I think).

Can I schedule regular incremental backups? I have looked, but can't see anything to that effect.
 Windows Backup Failed - busbee
I doubt it but I have not tried. My guess is not, as they are mostly about providing disk utilities like partitioning etc. for their drives. You can do that with the more complete Acronis program that you pay for.

I don't use the incremental backup facility myself. I just take drive images. But I also have a usb plug-in drive to hold my data (my C drive is partitioned to be a a C and D -- D for my data).

I synchronise my data on my USB one with the D partition on a fairly regular basis using a program. Complete images less frequently.

You can test your copy by disconnecting your existing drive and using your copy.
Last edited by: busbee on Sun 20 Jan 13 at 15:58
Latest Forum Posts