Computer Related > Routers Computing Issues
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 9

Routers - bathtub tom
Looks like I'll be moving from BT to Plusnet.

Do I need a new router?

I've currently got a BT home hub 3 with the wifi switched off (no wireless connections in the house, so I reckon it improves security).

I might need some guidance.
 Routers - Zero
Depends how techy you are, you might have to do a firmware downgrade.
 Routers - ....
As Z says, you can make your homehub3 work with other networks but depending on the firmware you may have to downgrade it.
I read somewhere about an open port on these so not as secure as you might think.
 Routers - Haywain
When I changed to Plusnet a few years ago, they supplied me with a new (I think 'Thompson') router, but I carried on with my old Netgear and things seem to work OK.
 Routers - bathtub tom
Firmware downgrade sounds like a Manchester screwdriver job to me.

If I change my ISP and the router's not compatible how the hell do I get advice?
 Routers - Manatee
Don't Plusnet give you a router? Auntie got a Technicolor branded one - very strange. If you get stuck I think I have a spare that will work - you aren't too far away.
 Routers - Zero

>> If I change my ISP and the router's not compatible how the hell do I
>> get advice?

You will have to get another router. The BT one really isn't suitable for moving to another ISP.
 Routers - Dog
>>If I change my ISP and the router's not compatible how the hell do I get advice?

Yule get awl the help yew kneed from Plusnet = 10/10
 Routers - Bromptonaut
Isn't plusnet a BT brand?
 Routers - Haywain
"Isn't plusnet a BT brand?"

Yes, Plusnet is owned by BT.

I was originally with totalise, who were taken over by madasafish, but my e-address retained the totalise name. When I moved to Plusnet, I learned that BT owned all of them!
Latest Forum Posts