Computer Related > Blocking Google Chrome Pop-Ups Computing Issues
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 10

Blocking Google Chrome Pop-Ups - Meldrew
I like Google Chrome but just recently I have been driven to distraction by really intrusive pop-ups. I know Google gets its money from advertising but it is too awful, I get very large jiggly things telling I have a message and I have been selected to win an iphone. I have deserted to Firefox to keep me sane! I have tried to follow the instructions for blocking but to no effect. Please will anybody give me a step-by-step guide to stoping Chrome driving me mad?
 Blocking Google Chrome Pop-Ups - No FM2R
I get no pop-ups. Not one, not ever, and I use Chrome. So you have an issue; Blocking will probably not sure it, because I suspect that something has already got in.

Have you agreed to install anything recently?

Have you seen a pop-up window telling you that you have malware, and you have clicked to agree to being cleaned?

Do you go to any "adult" websites, gaming websites, or telephone/ringtone websites? (You don't need to answer).

Do you use P2P networks? (if you don't know what they are, then you don't).

Do you share data/programs on a website?

Do you open any attachments from unknown sources, or indeed any emails which have then behaved strangely?

Yes to any of the above suggests you may be at risk of being infected with Malware.

Do you consider that you maybe at risk?

Which Malware or Anti-virus software do you run?

Do you keep it up-to-date?

Anything else on your computer misbehaving recently?

You will need to run some scans and stuff, but if you can answer some of the things above we can try and make it brief and easy.
 Blocking Google Chrome Pop-Ups - Duncan
AdBlock for Chrome works for me.

tinyurl.com/cz6vhjs
But he said he was getting pop-ups FROM Chrome. Not from websites while using Chrome.
 Blocking Google Chrome Pop-Ups - madf
Ghostery works for me

www.ghostery.com/
 Blocking Google Chrome Pop-Ups - lancara
+1 Ghostery, Adblock, and Adblock Plus
No FM2R - many thanks for your detailed reply. My terminology was confusing - sorry! I am getting pop-ups while using Chrome, not from it SFAIK. I used to use Zone Alarm package but the when the sub expired I moved to Windows Security Essentials and do a scan once a week which comes up with no nasties found
It is a little strange that Chrome is allowing so many pop-ups to be delivered whereas Firefox does not.

In Chrome go to..

-Click on Settings
-Scroll to the bottom and click on Advanced Settings
-Scroll down to Privacy, and click on the button just beneath it which is called Content Settings
-Scroll down almost to the bottom of that and you should find an option to block pop-ups.

If that's not ticked, then simply tick it. If it is ticked already, then I am surprised and thought is required.

That *should* stop 99% of the problem, the ad blocker software does more, but this fundamental level should be blocking most stuff.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 11 Feb 13 at 14:04
 Blocking Google Chrome Pop-Ups - Dog
A green thumb for that Martin (called Mark) as I couldn't find the pop blocker on Chrome when I looked for it earlier.
(Although mine is enabled)
Totally sorted and very many thanx. Would that Chrome Help was so lucid and clear!
 Blocking Google Chrome Pop-Ups - MD
Get rid of Chrome and install SwareIron. I've told ya soo many times b4. SwareIron is Chrome without the Crap and written by.........................The Chrome boys. Try it. You'll like it. Promise.
Latest Forum Posts