Computer Related > Screensaver Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 14

Screensaver - maltrap
My screensaver "kicks in" a bit too soon, can i increase the time before my screen goes blank ?
 Screensaver - rtj70
Yes. I assume it's Windows but you don't say which version.

On Windows Vista/7:

1. Right click on desktop and select Personalise
2. Click on Screensaver
3. Change timeout/wait time

On XP:

1. Right click on desktop and select Properties
2. Click on Screensaver tab
3. Change timeout/wait time

I am assuming you are talking about a screensaver that is making the screen go blank rather than a power setting that switches off the display. Which might be what you are really asking about.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 19 Feb 13 at 09:26
 Screensaver - VxFan
>> Yes.

Unless it's a company PC and you don't have admin rights to change things like the screen saver or when it appears - grrrr!!
 Screensaver - Gromit
In Windows 7, go to Control Panel > Display > Personalisation > Screen Saver.

Here, you can change the time before the screen saver kicks in, and whether or not you want to be made enter a password to access the PC again once it does.

The exact route to these options varies slightly depending on what version of Windows you run, and whether you use Control Panel in 'classic' mode or not, but the idea is the same.
 Screensaver - Robin O'Reliant
What's the point of a screensaver?

I've never used one and I've never seen what it would have saved if I had.
 Screensaver - RattleandSmoke
It was to stop screen burn on the old CRT displays. If you've ever been to an arcade you will see certain things burned into the screen usually "insert coins".

If you display the same static image on a CRT for long enough, it will burn into it. A screen saver solved that problem.
 Screensaver - Manatee
>> It was to stop screen burn on the old CRT displays. If you've ever been
>> to an arcade you will see certain things burned into the screen usually "insert coins".
>>
>>
>> If you display the same static image on a CRT for long enough, it will
>> burn into it. A screen saver solved that problem.

Spot on. And you don't want a CRT switching itself on and off all the time so a moving logo or whatever was a good idea.

I'd forgotten about screensavers because I have one on any of my computers - just the monitor time out which is a power setting, not the same thing. I think that is probably what your problem is maltrap, at a guess as RTJ says too I think.

Try ControlPanel/Power Options (I'm looking at a Windows 7 Starter system, yours might differ)
 Screensaver - VxFan
>> What's the point of a screensaver?

When everyone used to have CRT screens, it was to help prevent screen burn where a fixed image on the screen could end up leaving an imprint on the screen.

Doesn't really apply though to LCD screens, but operating systems still have the option available as they don't know what VDU you're hooking the PC up to.
 Screensaver - Bromptonaut
In an office environment it's also part of the process that ensures unattended PCs lockout and stop unauthorised access.

In a family/student environment its a process that locks out unnattended PC so as to stop Facebook 'frape' jokers.
 Screensaver - smokie
A mate acquired a large screen TV from Heathrow, it was def a flat screen, probably plasma not LED, but had very distinct patterns burnt into the screen.
 Screensaver - rtj70
Plasmas do suffer from screen burn in. So if you watch channels like Sky Sports, Sky News (or any news channel) then over time there will be burn in. One of the downsides of plasma. They make good heaters though.
 Screensaver - Slidingpillar
As above, plasmas do suffer and it is usually owners of such screens who complain about the logos some digital channels have, the so called DOGs (Digital Originated Graphics). When I worked for them, most complaints to the BBC about burn in, were owners of screens with the Cbeebies logo burnt in.

If you buy such a screen, never, ever run one at the full brightness, do not exceed 10 hours perday on the same channel, and be especially careful in the first 200 hours of operation as they are at most risk of burn at that time. Do not assume the settings as sold are the correct ones either.

A plasma screen does have a superior contrast ratio to LED types, but uses a shocking amount of electricity, hence the remark about them being good heaters.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 19 Feb 13 at 14:39
 Screensaver - maltrap
Thanks everyone for helpful & interesting advice.
 Screensaver - TeeCee
>> A plasma screen does have a superior contrast ratio to LED types, but uses a
>> shocking amount of electricity, hence the remark about them being good heaters.
>>

You're a bit out of date there. While my old 42" Sony Plasma chewed a fairly impressive 380 watts, I noted the other day that a new 50" Samsung plasma only drew a fairly modest 120 watts. That isn't that much more than my 46" Sony LCD with LED backlighting, which gets by on 90.

If you want a real horror story, go and look at what the old CRTs used to use....
 Screensaver - VxFan
>> So if you watch channels like Sky Sports, Sky News (or any news channel)

Even ITV1 has a stupid logo now.
Latest Forum Posts