Computer Related > Is this Kindle dead? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 15

Is this Kindle dead? - Haywain
My wife's two-year old Kindle is showing a series of fine vertical lines down the screen which make it impossible to read. I suspect that this condition is terminal, but does anyone know of a re-set or any other procedure that I could try to bring it back to a full and useful life?

Thanks, H
 Is this Kindle dead? - Zero
Its dead, well known issue.
 Is this Kindle dead? - VxFan
>> well known issue.

Is this the same issue as was mentioned on the last series of Watchdog?

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/kindle
 Is this Kindle dead? - CGNorwich
You could try a re-start

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200841400

but I suspect the condition is terminal. Google search reveals similar problems with two year old Kindles
Thanks for the replies; I'll get my wife to have a look at the Amazon link when she gets back from work - I'm afraid I've paid no attention at all to the Kindle and wouldn't have the first idea about how it is supposed to work.

I'll let you know the end result.
I've just read VxF's newly arrived post, and the problem appears to be exactly the same as described in the Watchdog programme. I'm afraid we've largely stopped watching Watchdog thanks to the over-dumbing production efforts to make it 'entertaining'.

I hope my wife has had a good day at work, I suspect that things will be thrown when she gets back. She will be googling for instructions on making a Molotov cocktail and searching the maps for Amazon's premises. I'll try and think of something nice to make for her tea!
 Is this Kindle dead? - Ambo
I wish I hadn't read these posts since I use my second Kindle daily. Still, I can console myself with the idea that the person who stole my first one can't use it any longer.
My wife was remarkably philosophical about the dead Kindle, saying that it was some 2 years old and therefore not worth pursuing. Whilst my attitude to Amazon's e-readers is "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me", she is a junkie for literature and is now considering a 'Kindle Paperwhite'.

Anyone able to pass on any experience of the 'Paperwhite'?

Cheers H
 Is this Kindle dead? - MJM
A friend's wife has one. I have the older type. Comparing notes, the paperwhite screen is better to view but the battery life between charges is nowhere near as long as my older model.
 Is this Kindle dead? - Ambo
>> A friend's wife has one. I have the older type. Comparing notes, the paperwhite screen
>> is better to view but the battery life between charges is nowhere near as long
>> as my older model.
>>

Agreed. Also, the virtual keyboard is harder to use than the physical one although this does make for a cheaper, smaller machine. The dictionaries are not as good and give just part of a defintion from a selection in the text being read. The old one gave the whole page of the dictionary, including anything else on that page. I get the impression that the dictionaries are smaller, too. If cost and size are not issues, I would buy the older version.
 Is this Kindle dead? - R.P.
Get an iPad with a free Kindle App.
 Is this Kindle dead? - Stuartli
>> Get an iPad with a free Kindle App.>>

Or probably even better, the Samsung Galaxy Tablet with the Kindle app...:-)
 Is this Kindle dead? - Stuartli
Don't forget the Nexus 7 either (about £159)
 Is this Kindle dead? - rtj70
Yes the Nexus 7 is very good value. And with an OTG USB cable you can get extra media on/off it easily. I don't particularly like what Amazon did with the Kindle Fire's in terms of user interface. I prefer stock Android (or even Android with a Samsung/HTC overlay).

But for cheap e-book readers when travelling the Kindle's and other e-Ink based devices make a lot of sense. They are cheap enough that you won't worry about them. The battery has a good life and you can read them in bright sunlight without cranking up brightness (which really saps batteries on tablets).
"But for cheap e-book readers when travelling the Kindle's and other e-Ink based devices make a lot of sense. They are cheap enough that you won't worry about them. The battery has a good life and you can read them in bright sunlight without cranking up brightness (which really saps batteries on tablets)."

My wife reckons this just about sums up why she preferred to use a Kindle rather than a tablet. I've got an i-pad, and she's got a Sony (Android) S1 (?) - both of which have Kindle apps installed, though she says that the Kindle screen is definitely easier on her eyes.

It seems that the 'Paperwhite' has a few issues and several reviewers have speculated on "........... improvements when the mk2 comes along". I think my wife will probably make do with the Sony or the i-pad and wait a few months to see what develops.
 Is this Kindle dead? - Dog
My wife reads a lot, she's always had her nose stuck in a book, even when we lived in Tenerife.

She's toyed with the idea of getting a Kindle for quite some time and being Amazon offered her a financial inducement recently, she asked me to check-out the critters for her.

I looked at the Kindle Paperwhite / Fire / Fire HD / Nook glo touch / Kobo Touch / Android jobbies with apps etc.

I decided on the Paperwhite being as it's a dedicated e reader and she owns a notebook anyway.

If you check out the reviews on www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B007OZO03M/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 you'll see there are 86 one star entries, compare that with the 912 five star entries, which is what mine would be.

I've had a fiddle about with the Paperwhite and it's quite easy to use but, the ole woman loves it apparently.

I also got her one of these in Purple to go with it:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Leather-Case-Cover-for-New-Amazon-Kindle-Paperwhite-5-/251170098302?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123
Latest Forum Posts