Computer Related > Microsoft Essentials - 'File is corrupt' Computing Issues
Thread Author: JohnM{P} Replies: 11

Microsoft Essentials - 'File is corrupt' - JohnM{P}
Had to replace my 5 year old Asus today - graphics failed, plus when closing screen to take to repairers, there was a loud crack and the case broke, screen hinge flopping around (reminded me of Colin Chapman's observation that the ideal racing car would fall apart just after it crossed the finishing line...).
Anyway, now have a Lenovo Windows7 i5 replacement - I have updated all the Windows files, downloaded MSE and de-installed the pre-installed McAffee. (as per my previous post of 18 months ago...).
When I try to run the MSE install file, I get an error 'File is corrupt'.
I have tried downloading the file (from Microsoft site) several times (including from another laptop using Firefox so I have to specify the operating system) but I still get the same error (with Windows Defender on or off - MSE should disable it anyway, according to MS forums).

Is it me or is it a genuine corrupt file on MS server?

Thanks, John

Microsoft Essentials - 'File is corrupt' - Zero
Sounds a bit like insufficient user privileges, have you tried running it in admin?
 Microsoft Essentials - 'File is corrupt' - smokie
It is possible that the file is corrupt at their end, or something (not on your own PC) is causing premature termination of the download. I've had this in the past, normally seems to sort itself out after a few days trying. Is there an alternative download source (a mirror server?)?
After a bit of Googling, I've found a Microsoft page on their site indicting that there have been problems with a link to try downloading from an alternative MS site. This gives me a choice of 2 files, amd64/MSEInstall.exe or x86/MSEInstall. Looking at the file sizes, it appears the amd64 version is the one that has downloaded in my previous attempts (when there have been no choices offered), but pc has i5 processor, so I would have expected the x86 version?!
"pc has i5 processor, so I would have expected the x86 version?!"

Depends on Operating System, not processor. Windows 7 32 bit or Windows 7 64 bit.
Good point - There is just the one user at the moment, 'User', which is shows as administrator.
I have tried right clicking the downloaded mseinstall.exe file and 'Run as administrator'; the 'Extracting files' window opens, files start extracting then 3/4 way through 'Extraction Failed' pops up with 'File is corrupt' message. Thanks
 Microsoft Essentials - 'File is corrupt' - sherlock47
I believe there is a diffent version for 32 bit or 64 bit Windows7 - are you installing the correct version? Although normally MS software will self check and give a coherent error message.
Update - file from alternative site give same error, I am getting the correct 64bit version, have raised ticket on MS Support. Thanks for all your suggestions, John
As you say, seems there is a known problem their end...

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/file-corrupt-x64-mse-english-corrupt-download/960e0d76-499b-41d0-b904-08bd619c6dc3
Thank you, Smokie, my various searches hadn't turned up that thread but that's the exact problem. Just have to be patient now... Cheers!
 Microsoft Essentials - 'File is corrupt' - lancara
Had the same problem - solved by suggested method in the Microsoft forum - downloaded via Windows Update:

"--[In the meantime, you can install MSE (if you do not have other antivirus software installed) by running Microsoft Update and looking for the optional update – Microsoft Security Essentials. We apologize for any inconvenience.]--"

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/microsoft-security-essentials-corrupted-file-x64/6ff59a5b-9022-41a2-b199-78de71210446?page=1

Under "Most Helpful Reply"
Indeed, sorted after MSE appeared in Windows Update - it was not appearing when I had processed the updates beforehand, but turned up later when I did a simple recheck for updates (perhaps Windows Update only reveals a few updates at a time, so you have to do many update cycles to check all products).
Anyway, thanks again, folks!
Latest Forum Posts