Computer Related > Parents and technology Miscellaneous
Thread Author: .... Replies: 9

Parents and technology - ....
I found this on my wanders around the internet. It made me laugh:

tinyurl.com/bqr3l3j
 Parents and technology - Robin O'Reliant
I got a phone upgrade on Wednesday, a Samsung Galaxy Ace. Thursday I got four calls while I was out and had to phone them all back as I couldn't figure out how to answers a call, frantically pressing every button and symbol in sight with no joy. Turns out you have to drag the little green telephone thingy to the centre of the screen to connect.

Why? Just touching the bleedy thing would be the obvious choice.
 Parents and technology - TeeCee
>>Turns out you have to drag the little green telephone thingy to the centre of the screen to connect.

Yup. That's the bog-standard way of doing it on Android. Drag green to answer (left to right) red to reject (right to left).
It's actually the swipe gesture that's important, the icons and animation are just eye-candy.

The problem with "just touching it" on a touchscreen phone is that you end up accidently answering or rejecting calls while fishing the thing out of your pocket. The answer/reject options require a deliberate action to avoid this.

I take it that you haven't got around to reading the manual yet............(!!)
Last edited by: TeeCee on Thu 28 Feb 13 at 08:20
 Parents and technology - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> I take it that you haven't got around to reading the manual yet............(!!)
>>

The "Manual" is a tiny little booklet that tells you little more than how to put the battery in and turn it on. For the real meat you have to go online - I have and I can't understand most of it.
Linked to the original video above is one Zero's laptop weapon of choice:
tinyurl.com/avc8zvd

RR, I don't about Samsung products, HTC have a simple red or green button appear which you slide depending if you want to answer or ignore.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 23 Feb 13 at 17:58
 Parents and technology - spamcan61
>>
>> RR, I don't about Samsung products, HTC have a simple red or green button appear
>> which you slide depending if you want to answer or ignore.
>>
One slides down to answer the call and up to reject it on a HTC.....which is fine until you accidentally put your phone in your pocket upside down and then reject the next call. Done this half a dozen times now!

What I do find irritating, although not surprising, is the level of customisation/branding the manufacturers stick on top of Android, so that swapping between HTC and Samsung phones, for example, is not as easy as I'd expect.
Agree, Apple might be for folks who just want a device which works but they control it.

Android is the car manufacturer of mobile phones. Ford you need to two thumbs for cruise control, Volvo one thumb, Citroen you use wheels on the steering wheel....the same for the phone controls. Find a manufacturer you're happy with and stick to them.
 Parents and technology - NortonES2
Addressed to OP but it goes whither it will it seems. Very apt!
Last edited by: NIL on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 21:55
 Parents and technology - Runfer D'Hills
I was given an ipad thingy about a year ago by a very nice supplier. Only just got around to using it a couple of weeks ago. I had tried before but got fed up with lashing things up. Anyway, I've persevered now and got used to it. Good aren't they?
 Parents and technology - madf
I tried Windows 8.. Three times.

Nothing is intuitive... Even those much younger than me struggle.

No wonder Microsoft are rumoured to be bringing out an upgrade # in July this year .

# upgrade means major changes to fix the mess.

Cannot see how Microsoft can do any consumer testing with that junk.. well they claim that most users don't use the START command!!
Latest Forum Posts