Computer Related > USB stick broken Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 5

USB stick broken - Rudedog
My daughter has managed to break her USB stick that holds a lot of important work on it, the plug in part of the connector is still attached to the main body of the stick but her laptop doesn't register it even with a few careful wiggles.
Does anybody know if the data can be recovered like other forms of data storage or has it been lost forever?
 USB stick broken - Zero
by broken, I assume you mean its loose between the body and plug part?

You are probably going to need someone who is good with a soldering iron to reflow the (4) connections or someone with some skill can probably make up 4 temporary patch wires from the memory board part to a temporary plug. Unless you physically fix it (or get it fixed) yes the data is lost.
 USB stick broken - Rudedog
Yes Z that's what has happened, the metal connector is just about hanging onto the body, I always wondered what was inside the body maybe a small card that could have been put into a reader, as that's not the case I'll check the WWW to see if anybody's doing at a reasonable rate.
 USB stick broken - R.P.
Rattle ?
 USB stick broken - RattleandSmoke
Just needs somebody who is handy with a soldering iron. The important lesson though is not to keep the only copy of data on a memory stick. They fail a lot. I have one on the bench right now I am trying to recover but sometimes the actual memory itself fails in them.

USB stick broken - McP
I fixed one for a work colleague's daughter that she had snapped.
I cut up a USB cable and soldered the individual wires to the circuit board. One of the wires had to be soldered to the chip as the track had been pulled up.

You need someone with good soldering skills. They can be very fiddly depending on what damage has been done
First google result.....
trcdatarecovery.com/usb-memory-stick-recovery/snapped

Latest Forum Posts