Computer Related > Parallel to USB Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 5

Parallel to USB - Rudedog
This is sort of work related but comes under computers I think, I have a medical monitor that's basically a PC inside, but it still uses a parallel output for the printer, unfortunately we have just bought a new laser printer but somehow along the line we have received one that only has a USB input (we've always managed to find lasers with a parallel input up until now).

I looked on the WWW and found loads of cables that convert from Parallel to USB, so my question would be as long as I match the parallel connector (25pin or 36pin) should it work ok?
 Parallel to USB - No FM2R
Not necessarily, although it may. In my case, it did not.

It can be more complex than simply an adapter, and an interface and/or converter may be required.

Equally, even if the connection can be made, the appropriate driver may not be available. This would prevent the printer understanding what it is being sent.

If the medical monitor is networked, then perhaps network printing is an approach rather than direct connection?

Failing that, can the medical monitor / PC take an USB expansion board?
 Parallel to USB - madf
I have used parallel to USB convertor OK on a local printer.. cable length less than 2 m.
 Parallel to USB - No FM2R
It may be that Computer USB to Printer Parallel is easier, I had no luck with Computer Parallel to Printer USB. Ultimately I failed because of the lack of driver support.
 Parallel to USB - McP
Unusual situation.
Normally it is a newer desktop/laptop without a parallel port that needs to be connected to an older printer.

Be very careful connecting cables even if they appear to fit.

Oki have Laser Printers with parallel ports.
What printer make and model have you bought? Some have optional interfaces available.
 Parallel to USB - Rudedog
I suspect it's probably going to be easier to find another use for these printers (£80 each) and make sure my supplies department pick the correct printers that we've had before that have a parallel port built in (we had cheap Brother printers before that worked ok).
Latest Forum Posts