Computer Related > Time and place of computer repair Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 21

Time and place of computer repair - L'escargot
The USB ports at the back of my desktop computer stopped working, so I took it to a PC World store for repair. Previously they had carried out repairs on the premises and were very quick. Now, however, they send ailing computers to a large distribution and repair depot ~ mine went to Newark ~ and they are far from quick. I took it to the store on Monday 5th, and because I'd heard nothing by Saturday 9th I went to the store to ask about progress. After searching their computer system they said that my computer would be returning to them on Saturday 23rd. That makes a total time 19 days. I can only assume that the repair depot serves a large area of the country and hence my computer is in a long queue.

I'm now suffering from computer withdrawal symptoms! This is coming from a computer at our local council library.
 Time and place of computer repair - BiggerBadderDave
"I'm now suffering from computer withdrawal symptoms!"

Just pick up a copy of Razzle from the newsagent.
 Time and place of computer repair - Pat
I'd missed you L'es:)

Pat
>> I'd missed you L'es:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Awwww. That's sweet of you. I've missed you too.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 15 Mar 13 at 13:30
 Time and place of computer repair - Dog
More fool you for taking it to PC World.
>> More fool you for taking it to PC World.
>>

Thanks a bunch, Dog. Typical dog in the manger attitude. Couldn't you think of something constructive and helpful to say?
Sorry.
 Time and place of computer repair - bathtub tom
I'm with doggie. I also avoid main dealers and Halfords as much as possible, for the same reasons, but then I know you'd disagree with me on that.
 Time and place of computer repair - VxFan
Presumably the PC is still under warranty for you to take it to PCW for repair?

Did you not ask for an estimated repair time before agreeing for them to repair it?

Why not in the meantime buy a cheap PC from ebay/gumtree/an other location as a make do?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 14 Mar 13 at 13:56
 Time and place of computer repair - swiss tony
>> Why not in the meantime buy a cheap PC from ebay/gumtree/an other location as a
>> make do?
>>

For instance www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/587/Dell-PCs/

Time and place of computer repair - Gromit
The Dell GX620s from Morgan would do just fine - they were standard issue lab PCs at work for quite some time, and most are still giving good service (even with 1GB RAM) provided they run Windows XP and not newer versions of Windows.

Alternatively, would you consider putting the price of a refurb GX620 towards a tablet, Chromebook or entry-level smartphone that might be of continued use to you when you get your own PC back?

Also, if the USB ports have failed on your PC, and they are mounted on the motherboard (most are), PCW will almost certainly tell you either it needs a new motherboard or its beyond economic repair. In that case, I'd try disable the USB ports on the motherboard and add a USB card instead. Just price the cost of parts first, and weigh it against the age and condition of your PC - sometimes add-on cards can be surprisingly expensive!
 Time and place of computer repair - Bromptonaut
I would avoid PCW if at all possible but have yet to encounter an out of warranty issue I cannot resolve myself.

Bearing in mind the choice round home is PCW or assorted places in 'secondary shopping' streets who may or may not be dodgy* I might still use PCW.

* Actually there's a guy in the village who's advertised in the parish mag for a decade or more.
I'd rather call in a mobile chap than take a sick computer anywhere let alone PC World, but then I'd get stuck in and have a go at it myself, with help from 'you lot'.

:)
 Time and place of computer repair - RattleandSmoke
Depends what the problem is. If its hardware related then ideally a new USB ports need to be soldered on, or the motherboard replaced. If an exact replacement motherboard can't be sourced then licensing issues might be a problem.

Got a PC which won't boot on my bench now, the problem is a shorting USB port simply solution is to cut USB connector of and replace it with a PCI card which cost around £10.00.

Time and place of computer repair - TeeCee
>> If an exact replacement motherboard can't be sourced then licensing issues might be a problem.

Why? I've replaced more than a few over the years and that's never been an issue. There is the FUD[1] about MS and OEM licensing that you see from the usual internet trolls, but that's all it is. FUD.

[1] Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. The term that used to be used for IBM's marketing tactics in the bad old days.
As a registered Microsoft Partner I can confirm that it is not internet trolling. It is technically against the OEM rules to replace or upgrade a motherboard with anything other than an identical board or one of the same spec and keep the same OEM licence.

Now what I say down the pub might be different. I just have to be official on here :wink.
 Time and place of computer repair - No FM2R
>>As a registered Microsoft Partner

As am I, not exactly difficult, is it.

And as a registered Microsoft Partner I can tell you that I have no idea whether or not you can change a motherboard without getting a new EUL, nor has it ever cropped up in any dealings I've had with them.
This is from Microsoft's own website

Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the licence for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the licence of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software Licence Terms and the support of the software covered by those terms. The End User Software Licence Terms are a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the computer manufacturer, and relate only to rights for that software as installed on that particular computer. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=wXW5rsdSV_4

What appears to be changed is the word "defect" but in any case none of this has been tested in a UK court of law as I am as I am aware.
>> I'd rather call in a mobile chap than take a sick computer anywhere let alone
>> PC World, .............

I've only ever had someone come to my house once to fix a computer problem ~ I can't remember what the problem was ~ and all he actually did was to cover up the problem (not cure it) by reducing the security level. Once bitten, twice shy.
Just one bad experience, but certainly ask around for recommendations. The problem with the sheds (e.g PCWORLD) is not only are they expensive but they often want tot sell you a new computer. Also their solution to most problems seem to be to just do a nuke and pave (e.g start again) something I only do if there is a rootkit.

I will say one thing though, if the problem is with the computer itself, then most times I have to take the machine away to my workshop. This thread certainly highlights a lot of the problems I have come against.

Probably not helped by the fact the nearest PCWORLD is just 5 minute drive away.
>> I'm with doggie. I also avoid main dealers and Halfords as much as possible, ..........

I've just been to Halfords to buy a scissor jack.
 Time and place of computer repair - madf
"This is coming from a computer at our local council library."

I wondered about the smell...:-)

Latest Forum Posts