Computer Related > Pandigital Novel ereader type thingy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 6

Pandigital Novel ereader type thingy - BobbyG
Colleague has one of these that he got free on a newspaper coupon collection thingy to use for reading books.
It seems to be a pile of poo and the installed ereader doesnt work and can't seem to download a kindle app from Amazon apps.

Googling shows a lot of info on this, some updates seem to make it run Android, others don't etc etc.

Does anyone on here have one and can share some info? Failing that, I am launching it out the window!!
 Pandigital Novel ereader type thingy - rtj70
So this is an eReader supporting (presumably) ePUB files? I assume it handles those. And it is not a tablet of some sort? If it's not a tablet able to run a Kindle App then why expect it to support Kindle?

Are we to assume the friend has assumed a lot? If it support ePUB books it is a useful eReader I suppose. Just not going to support Amazon's bookstore.

I hope they didn't assume Amazon selling it made a difference when it comes to Amazon's eBook support?

www.amazon.com/Sourcing-Network-PRD06E20WWH8-EREADER-WHITE/dp/B004EKEF0S
 Pandigital Novel ereader type thingy - lancara
The Calibre e-book management program has the following reference in its help files:

"6 days ago ... from calibre.devices.usbms.driver import USBMS class PDNOVEL(USBMS): name = 'Pandigital Novel device interface' gui_name = 'PD Novel' .."

So at a guess, it may be useful to connect the eReader to an updated version of this
program as it appears to now support it.
 Pandigital Novel ereader type thingy - BobbyG
As mentioned, he got it free with some newspaper collect a coupon type thingy but it has never actually been able to read the book files that he has, which his last ebook reader (which wasn't a kindle or a tablet) could read.

I will try and find out more info.
If these ePub files have been purchased they will have DRM in them. The device used to read these will need to be associated with his (Adobe) account to read them. I know my old Sony eReader had to be registered to access DRM'd ePub files.
 Pandigital Novel ereader type thingy - CGNorwich
Pandigital Novel readers are designed for books purchased from Barnes and Noble in the same way that Kindle are linked to Amazon.

You won't be able to read a Kindle file on a Pandigital NR or vice versa. You won't be able to read an epub file either. Didn't think they were marketed in the UK - aimed at the US/Canadian market
Well if it's only going to support B&N then you could buy new titles in the UK then. But any existing media would need converting and that's not going to be totally legal is it. I've put some of my previous ePub purchases on my Kindle before now (you have to remove DRM and convert ePub to MOBI format.... so whilst I purchased the ePub version this is not strictly legal).

EDIT: And with a quick search I see the Pandigital Novel does support ePub. But it would need to have been authorised to use the ePub files I guess.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 16 Mar 13 at 15:30
Latest Forum Posts