Computer Related > A spot of nostalgia Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

A spot of nostalgia - Crankcase
We've talked before about various old computers, mostly of the C64/Acorn/Amstrad variety.

I'd forgotten about the Lynx. There's a little article about it just published here - at the very least the table on page two comparing the home machines about at the time is, I think, interesting.

Never had one myself, and can't really remember craving one - anyone ever see/play with one?

www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/20/feature_the_story_of_the_camputers_lynx/
 A spot of nostalgia - Robin O'Reliant
One on ebay -

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-RARE-VINTAGE-CAMPUTERS-LYNX-COMPUTER-GC-/290749495313?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item43b2053811
 A spot of nostalgia - Zero
And at that price, it wont be going anywhere soon.
I always fancied a Memotech, from memory it came with a brushed aluminium case.
 A spot of nostalgia - Stuartli
Still have an Oric. Had the original first, which went wrong and was replaced by the follow up model with a proper keyboard...:-)

Unfortunately some of the more important tapes were thrown away during a Spring cleaning session by someone who I will not name, but called that person a few...:-( :-)
 A spot of nostalgia - TeeCee
Hmm. I know for a fact that the manuals, tapes and such for my Dragon 32 are still lurking in my father's attic.
Can't find them though.

The Dragon still fires up when I try it.
 A spot of nostalgia - Crankcase
A colleague has just got hold of a Raspberry Pi, and the very first thing he intends to do with it is stick RISC OS on it with a view to turning it into a BBC emulator.

Some old machines never seem to die.
 A spot of nostalgia - RattleandSmoke
I keep meaning to get an old C64 breadbin to turn into a Pi64. Not sure if it is possible to run Wine under the Pi though in order to run Vice64.

I have often been tempted to buy a Spectrum, there are many on ebay in good condition with box and all the leads and manuals. I would never use it and would soon get bored with it if I did, but I want to have one just for the sake of having one, if you know what I mean.

PC's are a zillion times better than those old home computers, but those of us who got into them in the early eighties can still remember the heady excitement of using these new fangled wonders that got better and cheaper by the month. Now one beige box is pretty much like any other.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Wed 27 Mar 13 at 17:20
 A spot of nostalgia - TeeCee
>> Not sure if it is possible to run Wine under the Pi though in order to run Vice64.

Even if Wine were ported to ARM, you'd still be faced with the slight snag that your Windows application would be x86 and not run.

If they ever bring out a port of Vice64 to Windows RT and there's ever an ARM "Wine RT", you might be in luck.
 A spot of nostalgia - rtj70
Why not run a C64 emulator on Android? There's probably a few, one of which is Frodo 64.
 A spot of nostalgia - rtj70
You can run a BBC emulator on most devices these days without needing to back to RISC OS. You can run it on Windows, Mac, Android, .... list goes on

Most of this stuff is derived what Dave Gilbert did in his spare time at Manchester University in the early 90s. Nice enough chap but a little eccentric ;-)

www.treblig.org (not updated in years)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 27 Mar 13 at 17:23
Latest Forum Posts