Computer Related > Wireless Router Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 12

Wireless Router - Robin O'Reliant
I've been with Talk Talk for about six years now, and quite happy with them am I too. Following the demise of my DVD recorder, rather than buy another I have signed up for their You View service at only a fiver a month extra, which will actually be nothing a month extra as I've finally got round to paying the line rental 12 months in advance, the discount cancelling out the extra dosh. I've opted for the free installation and setup as I can't be arrised doing it myself and their magician is coming on Wednesday to get me running.

Anyway, A wireless router arrived in the post just now, presumably because the wired gadget I have at the moment isn't up to scratch for all this new technocrappery. What does a wireless one do that my old one won't, is it any better, is it slower or faster, more secure or less so? It's still in the box where it will remain till Gadget Mechanic turns up with a cheery grin and an insatiable appetite for tea on the appointed day.
 Wireless Router - Zero

>>What
>> does a wireless one do that my old one won't,

Wireless.
 Wireless Router - Slidingpillar
A lot of 'free' one are pretty basic, and often come with limiting software. In other words, work fine with supplying ISP, but change to a different one and it may not work.

I used one I borrowed from my brother's shop when I had problems last year and although I figured out how make it go, the pre-programmed settings were such that I was obviously not meant to do it, and downloading the instructions was no help at all since the software functionality was quite different.
 Wireless Router - RattleandSmoke
I hate the free routers you get with ISPs, they are horrible to work with and difficult to tweak. However if you're a novice then they are far easier to setup and I would recommend getting one from the ISP.

If you have a big house in a dense area then you might find the basic ISP one struggles. I live in a large three bed terrace (it is a big house for a 3 bed terrace) and I have to use a very powerful router, even then it struggles. A freebie one would be useless.
 Wireless Router - madf
I bought a router s/h from ebay after my own died of old age and boredom and it works beter and stronger than before... For £12 worth a try..A Belkin summat.
 Wireless Router - VxFan
The one that TalkTalk recently sent me is a Huawei wireless N.
My current router is a Thomson wireless G.

I tried the TT one, but all I got was approx another 3 foot range out of it down the drive than my wireless G one does. The wireless G range covers the whole house and when I'm tinkering out in the shed.

Sticking with the Thomson G one as it's wall moutable and out the way. The TT one has to sit on a desk, or I'll have to cable tie it somewhere out the way if I ever end up using it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 May 13 at 17:26
>> The one that TalkTalk recently sent me is a Huawei wireless N.

>>
That's what they've sent me, Dave. So it was better than your current one, but not by much?

I'll only be using mine downstairs, obviously in the office for the PC and I presume it will connect to the TV across the hall in the lounge to get iplayer and the like.
 Wireless Router - Zero
is your TV wireless?
>> is your TV wireless?
>>
Aha!!

Having now broken the habit of a lifetime I decided to read the instructions. I gather I can plug the router into the power and phone sockets in the lounge where it will magically send a signal through the wall to my PC.

Will it also connect wirelessly to the You View thingy or does that need a cable? My computer skills only ever reached the level of writing a simple cashbook programme for the PCW in Locomotive Basic. After that my brain gave up.
 Wireless Router - Zero
>> >> is your TV wireless?
>> >>
>> Aha!!
>>
>> Having now broken the habit of a lifetime I decided to read the instructions. I
>> gather I can plug the router into the power and phone sockets in the lounge
>> where it will magically send a signal through the wall to my PC.

Is your PC wireless?

>> Will it also connect wirelessly to the You View thingy

I dont think it does. The Talk Talk help video talks of ethernet cables.

>> I dont think it does. The Talk Talk help video talks of ethernet cables.
>>

So it does.

Luckily the router will be near the TV as Mrs RR wouldn't want yet another cable trailing round the place.
 Wireless Router - VxFan
>> So it does.

Is it not like the Skybox whereby you can connect a wireless adapter to the youview box?
 Wireless Router - Zero
>> >> So it does.
>>
>> Is it not like the Skybox whereby you can connect a wireless adapter to the
>> youview box?

No.
Latest Forum Posts