Computer Related > New rules on IP addresses? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 8

New rules on IP addresses? - Rudedog
I've just been listening to the radio this morning and I've heard a firm proposal from the government that they will somehow implement the rule that ALL equipment capable of accessing the internet will have to have it's own unique IP address, apparently this is so the security/police forces can identify individual users and will be part of the new Telecommunications Bill.

I'm not up on this sort of thing, so can the experts on here shed any more info on this?
 New rules on IP addresses? - Zero
If all you say is true and accurate its simply not possible and if it were, its not practical - it would break "the net" in an instant, and its completely unenforceable as the IP address is not hard wired. Besides there is already a hard wired address in every device, its called the MAC address.

New rules on IP addresses? - Rudedog
Thanks, it was mentioned by the Deputy Prime Minister this morning on a phone in show and was in response to the new 'Snoopers Charter' bill proposals. Apparently he (the government) had been in talks with the ISPs and it was something they were adamant would be setup.

I did have my doubts as to the feasibility of what seems like a massive project.
 New rules on IP addresses? - TeeCee
>> If all you say is true and accurate its simply not possible
>>

It is with IPv6.
Using IPv6, every device has a unique IP. NAT goes out of the window. As each device is assigned an individual IP at connection time, it is possible to say with certainty exactly which device used which IP at a given time.

Under the IPv4 / NAT scheme, the MAC is useless, as the only MAC that is seen exposed to the world is that of your NAT router or, more usually these days, that of your ISPs NAT router which has NAT'd your NAT'd address.
There are multiple layers of obfuscation already present in a typical IPv4 setup which make it pretty much impossible to say with any certainty which device on a given network actually did whatever it was.
 New rules on IP addresses? - TeeCee
Nuts. Out of edit time.

>> it is possible to say with certainty exactly which device used which IP at a given time.

should read:

"it is possible to say with certainty exactly which MAC address used which IP at a given time."

MAC addresses can be reconfigured so that what is presented as a physical address is not that burned into the chipset of the device.
>> >> If all you say is true and accurate its simply not possible
>> >>
>>
>> It is with IPv6.

Everyone is not using IPv6, IPv6 and IPv4 will coexist. Few home networks will be using IPv6, nor will EVER use IPv6, so every device at home will not have a unique IP address EVER.

So as I said its simply not possible. I guess the key word is *devices*
that access the internet. That can only mean devices that are physically hard wired to the net, like routers. Not all routers have IPv6 capability.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 30 May 13 at 11:38
 New rules on IP addresses? - Fursty Ferret
What is far more likely is that at some point in the future every router will need to be able to accept an IPv6 address, but will provide a translation service to the LAN on the other side which remains IPv4.

Need to check but I think mine is already doing that with Be.
 New rules on IP addresses? - MD
OK. Far too technical for a mere Bricklayer like I, but what happens if one routes ones work through the likes of Tor etc. Can 'they' read the ISP then??
trouble is, to get anywhere on the net, you have to go through your ISP first. And thats where the surveillance links are in. But you can leave a false trail of where you are going or have been by using TOR or any other form of Proxy.

Tiscali blocks access to Pirate Bay for example, but its the work of moments to proxy round block.

So for a thick ass non techy bricky, you seem remarkably clued up on anonymising your net use. What you up to?

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 30 May 13 at 21:36
Latest Forum Posts