Computer Related > Download speeds Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 10

Download speeds - Dog
How come my download speed has been a pretty poor 1.2 bits of mega for more-than a few days but, when I tested it again just now it's gorn up to 5.70 Mbps.

I did reboot the router yesterday - do they need a kicking now and again (or do I need a new router?

I've got an Openreach man coming tomorrow to sort out the cracking (up) noise on my phone line.

Yes, I've plugged 2 different phones into the test socket, and the crackling is still a Pig!
 Download speeds - Dog
Eh, I'll have to get ze cracklin rosie sorted out - THEN see about these ere blimmin bits of meg.
 Download speeds - Dog
Yeah, so I waits in all morning, like, and the very very nice man from Openreach turns up at mid day.

Plugs all his paraphernalia into me socket, and that, half hour later reckons the prob is likely to be a tree brushing against the 2 miles of overhead copper AND aluminium wire between me owse and the exchange, like.

Says "you're lucky to get broadband at all where you live!

So that's it then, no doubt he'll report back to base, and then maybe (just maybe) a geezer with a ladder will do a few checks on the overhead wires one fine day but, I don't hold out much hope TBpurrfectlyH.

He liked the owse though ;)
 Download speeds - Zero
the noise wont help the speeds. Check if the noise has gone, they may have fixed it and your speed has gone up.

Yes routers need rebooting form time to time. But only if you notice the speed has dropped, do it too often and you'll never build up to a good speed (like those who turn it off overnight)
 Download speeds - Dog
Thanks Zed.
 Download speeds - Dog
Well, I had another Openreach engineer here all afternoon, this one was really on-the-ball.

Nice chap from Sale in Greater manchester, they are renting a place in N. Cornwall while they look for a property to buy, having sold their house oop North.

After dashing about between here, the cabinet, and the exchange, he finally found the fault at the exchange.

So from 1.20Mbps all week, we're now up to 6.70Mbps - more than enough for what I want ... yeehaw!
 Download speeds - Ambo
Mine was about 1 or 2. I complained to BT and it turned out my router was not fully compatible with new kit installed the nearest post office or wherever. You'd think they would fix this without my asking. Anyway, a new router gives me 12 to 13.
 Download speeds - Dog
I very much doubt whether my 6.70Mb could be improved on being I am 2 miles from the exchange and the cables are overhead jobbies - unless I went down the fibre route.

10/10 for Plusnet though, I reckon they are the tops, and the freephone tech help is UK based.
 Download speeds - Focusless
>> 10/10 for Plusnet though, I reckon they are the tops, and the freephone tech help
>> is UK based.

O2 have also been very good for us - not sure what their replacements will be like when Sky take over...
 Download speeds - rtj70
>> unless I went down the fibre route

Are there enough houses to justify installing a BT Openreach cabinet that supports FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) which is what BT Infinity is (and the products offered by Plusnet, Sky etc). Or are you saying FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) which would be a lot more expensive. If indeed it's available to you.
 Download speeds - Dog
FTTC is available 'out here' but that still leaves one mile of overhead copper/aluminium cable from the cabinet to my owse.

No-chance of FTTP obviously, I've been with Plusnet for quite a few years now and I threaten em with a MAC now and again, so my 60GB allowance bb + evening/weekend call package costs very lttle money, it does what I want it to do (at last!) so I'm not interested in having a faster connection at the mo.
Latest Forum Posts