Computer Related > Mouse with a ball! Computing Issues
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 24

Mouse with a ball! - maltrap
Is there such a thing as a wireless mouse with an old fashioned ball + scroll wheel.
I like the wireless bit on my existing mouse its the laser bit underneath that makes it less responsive than my old corded one with a ball.
 Mouse with a ball! - Zero
>> Is there such a thing as a wireless mouse with an old fashioned ball +
>> scroll wheel.
>> I like the wireless bit on my existing mouse its the laser bit underneath that
>> makes it less responsive than my old corded one with a ball.

Shouldnt be, led mice are very good, beat mice balls hands down. Have you adjusted the sensitivity?]

As for standard ball type mouse - cordless - the answer is no.

But there is this type of thing www.extak.com/catalog/16065/Kensington-Orbit-72352-Trackball---Wirel?ppc=google_shopping

I didn't realise how unresponsive my Microsoft Wireless Mouuse 700 was until it stopped working and i plugged in an old corded mouse with ball but without scroll wheel. Perhaps there's acorded one with ball & scroll wheel ? As to adjusting the sensitivity i wouldn' know where to start !
Click - Start button ,Control Panel, Hardware, Mouse.
Thanks Zero, the wireless one seems to have given up the ghost altogether so i'm using the corded one. I've decided to go on the hunt for a corded, non optical with scroll wheel, if such a thing exists !
 Mouse with a ball! - VxFan
>> As for standard ball type mouse - cordless - the answer is no.

Ever, or just recently?

I used to have a logitech cordless one with a ball. Up in the loft somewhere.
Well of course not never. I mean now.
 Mouse with a ball! - rtj70
The first mouse I used on a regular basis was on a BBC Micro circa 1986/87. Unlike the mice with balls I remember after that the ball/mouse had to be pushed to rotate the ball. There was real resistance.

Jump forward a bit to 1989 and I used my first optical based mouse - connected to a SUN3 workstation.... Worked well but needed the accompanying mouse mat to track movement (lines on the mat).

Any optical mouse now is really good and why you'd want to use one with a ball I have no idea! I have a pretty old Microsoft (corded) optical mouse I find very good. But the left mouse button might be starting to play up. I've had it for a while and you don't seem to get a mouse similar to it from anyone now. Too many small mice for laptops. Probably need to get a gaming mouse.
 Mouse with a ball! - henry k
>> The first mouse I used on a regular basis was on a BBC Micro circa 1986/87.
>> Unlike the mice with balls I remember after that the ball/mouse had to be pushed to rotate the ball.
>> There was real resistance.
>>
I remember having to" service " my mouse by removing the ball and cleaning the little rollers to get all the crud off.
 Mouse with a ball! - Kevin
Not true but:

w2.eff.org/Net_culture/Folklore/Humor/mouse_balls_ibm.memo
Indeed not true, those were inaccurate part numbers. What might amuse you (and is true) is that engineering part number 0000001 was "the wheel"
 Mouse with a ball! - bathtub tom
Brought to mind the probably apocryphal crossword clue of 'ball bearing mouse trap 3-3'.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Wed 31 Jul 13 at 23:59
 Mouse with a ball! - Manatee
tom-cat?
 Mouse with a ball! - bathtub tom
>> tom-cat?

Correct.
 Mouse with a ball! - Manatee
I'm using a folding cordless optical MS Arc mouse and it's at least as good as any ball mouse I've used.

New batteries and adjust the sensitivity.

The only problem I've had is recently, if I plug the dongle into a different USB port in the laptop goes through the rigmarole of wanting to download the MS mouse software to "install" it. I'm not the only one apparently.
 Mouse with a ball! - ....
When I read the thread title I got the complete wrong end of the stick:
tinyurl.com/qd6oqnz
 Mouse with a ball! - Victorbox
I think it's the wireless bit not the lack of a ball that makes it unresponsive.
 Mouse with a ball! - The Nut
Why do people want wireless mice anyway? I've never found the wire to be a problem even on a messy desk and you save on batteries.

Wireless makes sense for some things, games console controllers and cordless phones for example, but unless it's a home theater pc you have the mouse right next to the computer.

Do people actually want wireless mice or is it just whats available? I bought an Asda smartprice mouse last week, £3.50, they had 7 or 8 different wireless mice but the smartprice one was the only corded mouse they had.
Last edited by: The Nut on Sat 3 Aug 13 at 12:25
 Mouse with a ball! - L'escargot
>> Why do people want wireless mice anyway?

One-upmanship on us lesser mortals.
 Mouse with a ball! - Slidingpillar
Only use for a wireless mouse I've found is doing a presentation. Powerpoint can give a presentation with a mouse click being the new page or new bit command. So you can be at the front addressing your audience and the PC and projector can be further down the table.

But as a regular thing, a mouse with a wire is more reliable.
 Mouse with a ball! - VxFan
>> Why do people want wireless mice anyway?

My workstation has a pull out shelf where the keyboard and mouse sit. Nearly every time I pulled the shelf out the mouse fell off the back of the shelf and down behind the computer somewhere because the mouse was light enough to be dragged off the shelf by its tail. Never happened with the keybaord because it was a lot heavier.

>> and you save on batteries.

The 2 AAs in my cordless mouse tend to last at least 6 months with daily usage. The 2AAAs in my cordless keyboard last well over a year before Logitechs program tell me they require changing. I'd much sooner buy a couple of batteries from time to time than have the inconvenience of scurring around behind the PC to look for a corded mouse that's fallen off the shelf again.
Just recieved my corded mouse with ball, it's a Dell, got it on E-Bay, cost £1.46 + £2.60 P&P. Bargain, works a treat !
cleaning the crud from the little shafts inside for the rest of its miserable life starts now.
Takes me back to when i used to grease the ball joints & radius arms on my Mini, happy days, this will be much easier & far less messy. i think i'll draw up a service schedule!
 Mouse with a ball! - Fursty Ferret
>> cleaning the crud from the little shafts inside for the rest of its miserable life
>> starts now.
>>

^^ Wot he said.
Latest Forum Posts