Computer Related > Changing your ISP. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 13

Changing your ISP. - L'escargot
What's involved in changing your ISP? How do you ensure that you won't go through a period when you have no internet?
 Changing your ISP. - Robin O'Reliant
Simple enough in most cases. You get a code from your current ISP (a MAC code I believe) and give it to your intended new one. My last switchover was seamless.
 Changing your ISP. - VxFan
>> Simple enough in most cases.

You might even be lucky enough to keep your email address if it's one with your current providers domain name.
Obviously if you've got a yahoo, Hotmail, or one of the many other online email accounts then it doesn't apply.

As yours is the same as one of mine L'escargot, you don't even have to remember to reactivate it every so often (every 180 days, IIRC). They've finally done away with that caper.
 Changing your ISP. - smokie
Best and cheap option for email is to get your own domain e.g. lescargot.co.uk - for £2.99 a year or .com for £9.99 a year, then you can have as many email addresses as you like, and forward them to wherever you want (usually your ISP). I've had mine for years,a s has the Mrs (she got offered a few thousand dollars for hers a year or so back but declined!!).

So when signing up for stuff where I don't want to hear from them again I can use junk@domainame.com or whatever I want, and either redirect (or junk) the mail at the domain name provider.

And when you change ISP you don't have to tell all your friends your new email address.... and you might get something more memorable than they allocate you.

Prices were from www.1and1.co.uk, which is who I use, and are plus VAT but could be better out there.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 10 Aug 13 at 18:59
 Changing your ISP. - bathtub tom
Many ISPs will transfer you to their disconnections department who are able to offer better terms.

Well worth threatening to leave now and then.
 Changing your ISP. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Many ISPs will transfer you to their disconnections department who are able to offer better
>> terms.
>>

To the customers they're called Disconnections, in house they're known as Retentions.
 Changing your ISP. - L'escargot
>> Many ISPs will transfer you to their disconnections department who are able to offer better
>> terms.
>>
>> Well worth threatening to leave now and then.
>>

Thanks bathtub tom, I'll try it.
 Changing your ISP. - Zero
Today, while I was out on the coast, my ISP changed from TT (tiscali) to BT.

Arrived home to find a Home Hub 4 in the hall (posted through the letter box).

Tried to log on with the old router, got a BT holding test page. Unplugged old router, plugged in new router, it set itself up and I was back on line in about 3 minutes flat.

Ping times are half that of TT (was 31ms now 15ms), downloads are now 13.1mb (was 12.1) uploads are now 1mb (was .85mb)

So in answer to the question posted, there is no loss of internet when changing ISP. I didnt even find out what the mac code was, it was all handled in the background.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Aug 13 at 18:59
 Changing your ISP. - Falkirk Bairn
>>Today, while I was out on the coast, my ISP changed from TT (tiscali) to BT.

12 mths of free footie - well 38 x Premiership for free!

Son swapped from TT to BT the other week - we watched arsenal win last Saturday on his Ipad.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Aug 13 at 21:01
 Changing your ISP. - Pat
Well, I refuse to be railroaded back to BT, I remember just how expensive they were last time I was with them.

I will be watching MotoGP next year too...I'm just not quite sure how yet.

At least the Wii now connects to the internet....

Pat
 Changing your ISP. - AnotherJohnH
>> 12 mths of free footie - well 38 x Premiership for free!

I'm not sure BT bog standard Broadband gets you the footie, AIUI you need one of the Infinity (FTC) options, but I'm sure somebody else will be along with a different opinion before long.
 Changing your ISP. - Zero
>>but I'm sure somebody else will be along with a different opinion before long.

Helooooo < waves >

>>I'm not sure BT bog standard Broadband gets you the footie

It does, you watch it online through a web browser, or an iphone/android app.

Its nice as a freebie, but not worth paying for.
 Changing your ISP. - AnotherJohnH
It had to be you..

Stands corrected -

either my memory has completely gone, or BT have changed their offering (presumably to get as many on board as possible and irritate $ky).

Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Wed 28 Aug 13 at 12:48
 Changing your ISP. - VxFan
sport.bt.com/pages/sport/

Says BT Sport is Free with BT Infinity and BT Broadband.

Latest Forum Posts