Computer Related > Garmin Downloads Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 4

Garmin Downloads - maltrap
I'm thinking of buying a Garmin sat-nav, the one with "free lifetime updates". Can anyone tell me how many megabytes these updates use. The reason i ask is i'm on Sky, free broadband with a monthly limit of 2 Gb.
 Garmin Downloads - rtj70
If you go for a sat nav with European maps, then the update is likely to be around 2GB... possibly more. Map updates will mean downloading a new map and not just updates to the existing map data.

So for the month when you're updating your Garmin you're going to use all your monthly allowance. So do it at someone's house without such a low limit for broadband.

I can only comment on TomTom for maps, but the size depends on device and the actual map coverage. So for example:

- TomTom GO Live 1005 Western European maps are 2.7GB but the European map is over 3GB
- TomTom GO 720 Western European map is only about 1.8GB with the European map 2.5GB
 Garmin Downloads - maltrap
Thanks rtj, i'll have to start chatting up the neighbours !
 Garmin Downloads - rtj70
As I say I can only comment on TomTom for map size as I have one of those - and they show the size of map downloads on the website. I am assuming/guessing the Garmin will be similar.
 Garmin Downloads - Fullchat
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 for the motorcycle. The 2113 City Navigator NT Europe Maps were 3.51 Gb. This will not go on the internal memory of the Zumo so is loaded onto an SD card.

If you use something like Basecamp or Mapinstall you can select which areas you wish to install but you have to download the lot first

I download everything onto the PC (external drive) and transfer to the sat nav. Then you have a backup.

Lots of info here but is more tailored towards the motorcycle units.

www.zumoforums.com/index.php?board=45.0
Latest Forum Posts