Computer Related > Ipad Air deals Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 60

Ipad Air deals - legacylad
Does anyone know of any please?
I am happy with my Samsung 14" laptop, but anticipate lots of travelling in the next 12 months with hand baggage only. The Samsung seriously eats into my 10kg allowance, and I am impressed with the Air. Doubtless I shall end up buying the 32Gb model from J Lewis who give a 3 year guarantee, although they do 'price match'.
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
I don't think it's possible to get any sort of deal on Apple kit - they seem very adept at maintaining the retail price - activities that I thought were against the law but, hey-ho, they're 'Apple'. Last year, I managed to get a discount off my i-Pad, but that's only because my daughter bought it for me from a supermarket with her staff discount card, at that time, running at 15%.

I suspect that the best offer is the John Lewis one because of the guarantee. In fact, my wife is considering getting an i-Pad from John Lewis because of the guarantee rather than use our daughter's discount. Actually, my wife is awaiting the arrival of the new i-Pad mini which she reckons is neater for travelling, putting in hand-baggage etc.
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
The iPad Air is no new you're unlikely to get a deal. If you had Tesco Clubcard points, you might get a deal on tablets soon - only the Hudl is included in the doubling up of vouchers.

You could get £30 off with a promo code at Tesco but they are out of stock (Enter code TDX-KW3Q to save £30 when you spend over £300 on tablets and cases. Exp. 27/11/13. Excl. Sellers)
 Ipad Air deals - smokie
You missed a one day deal at Play yesterday for the base model at £329.

I am buying one now, want the 16Gb with 3G which went out of stock in Tesco yesterday. Their voucher (as above) expires on 27 Nov. Apparently John Lewis will price match, and you get the 3 year warranty.
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
>> Apparently John Lewis will price match, and you get the 3 year warranty

They will price match another high street shop (nothing that is just online) and they will send someone to that store to verify the price before they will match it. Obviously not just going to take our word for the price in another shop :-)
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
For travelling, I'd prefer the iPad Mini with Retina Display. A lot lighter again. And with a high res screen able to display sharp images and text.
 Ipad Air deals - Zero
Nicole has just got a Nexus 7. (the 2013 model) using her JLP vouchers.

Really don't see the point on lashing out hundreds more in dosh, the Nexus is a gorgeous piece of kit.
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
Zero, I agree - I'd go for an Android 7" tablet like the Nexus 7 over an iPad Mini. But legacylad was after an iPad and that's his choice.

There's also still rumours of a Nexus 8 also made by ASUS. The Nexus 10 is out later this week and there might even be a Nexus 12. All linked with Black Friday....

.... which means Apple might reduce prices for Black Friday for the iPad.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 19 Nov 13 at 09:03
Thanks for the feedback..
A friend has a Nexus 7 and I agree it is a nice piece of kit.
However, I really like the Ipad Air for several reasons, can afford it over a cheaper, and lesser, alternative, so shall see if prices move slightly downwards later this month. If not will shell out £479 for the 32Gb model.
With grateful thanks to HMG for selling off RM. Much appreciated ta!
 Ipad Air deals - commerdriver
>> Really don't see the point on lashing out hundreds more in dosh, the Nexus is
>> a gorgeous piece of kit.
>>
seconded I have been using one for the last 6 weeks, a replacement for the previous model which went faulty on me, really nice device.
 Ipad Air deals - Crankcase

>> Obviously not just going to take our word for the price in another shop :-)

As you say. And last time I asked about it, on an electrical item, they told me that you have to wait for them to get to the other shop to compare, and even then they only do it if you have already bought the product from John Lewis at that moment. Then, if they verify the price is actually lower somewhere else, they will send you a cheque for the extra amount they charged.

It's also supposed to be absolutely like for like. So what happens on products where they routinely give an extra year's warranty over everyone else I don't know. Perhaps they argue that makes the comparison invalid, perhaps they don't.

Makes sense but there's a couple of weeks waiting about to see if they will refund after all, and of course you've already bought from them.
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
When we bought our TV some time ago the price was reduced in John Lewis to price match another shop's price on that item. Maybe they've changed the way they do it? Or it's not consistent.
 Ipad Air deals - Dulwich Estate
Last year I bought a Panasonic telly from John Lewis. They price matched Richer Sounds by phoning the branch I gave them details of.

I suspect a bad deal for JL though: Richer Sounds did not do free delivery, nor did they do a free 5-year guarantee. I got both from JL.

Ssh ...! Don't tell anyone.
J Lewis price matched me an Ipad Retina a few weeks ago, with a Tesco promo code deal. I was about to go for it until I had a fiddle with the new Air. Shall wait now until 29th to see if there are any deals to coincide with the septics Black Friday. I return from a few days away on Lanzagrotty the 28th so fingers crossed.
 Ipad Air deals - mikeyb

>> As you say. And last time I asked about it, on an electrical item, they
>> told me that you have to wait for them to get to the other shop
>> to compare, and even then they only do it if you have already bought the
>> product from John Lewis at that moment. Then, if they verify the price is actually
>> lower somewhere else, they will send you a cheque for the extra amount they charged.

No need to buy the item first. Last time I did it was on a fridge freezer. They took the details, and then called me later to advise it was in stock so would match the price.
 Ipad Air deals - smokie
Just had the opposite on the Air - out of stock at Tesco so they won't match.
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
Mrs H spotted that John Lewis on-line was showing 'i-pad mini with retina display' (i.e. Mk11) in stock, so she's just ordered one (32GB) before heading off to work with a spring in her step. I'd do anything to keep her happy!

Reviews that we've read seem to be of the opinion that the iPad Air and the latest Mini are virtually identical except for size and Mrs H wants hers to travel with.
 Ipad Air deals - zippy
If you have enough Tesco Club Card vouchers, the IPad Air is now in their Boost promotion.

I have just ordered a 64gb Wifi and Cell in silver for £420 in vouchers. Not as good a deal as some of their other offers but not bad either.

I have been told the Airs have better colour saturation than the Mini.
 Ipad Air deals - VxFan
>> If you have enough Tesco Club Card vouchers, the IPad Air is now in their Boost promotion.

Not according to their website. Still only the Hudl that you can double up clubcard vouchers on.

Ipad Air deals - zippy
Not on the Tesco Direct voucher exchange but on the Boost exchange where you can also get Pizza Express vouchers etc.

www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=4044&

Its not as good as 2 for 1, nearer 1.5 for 1 but still a saving.
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 22 Nov 13 at 13:01
 Ipad Air deals - VxFan
Hmmm, very tempting. I have something like £125 in vouchers. Not sure how much that'll reduce it by.
Shame it has to be the iPad with wifi & simcard. Just wifi on its own would have made it cheaper. I don't need the simcard option as I have a mifi device that I use for my iPhone.
 Ipad Air deals - zippy
They do quite a range of them with and without cell.

But I don't think you can apply cash and vouchers for this offer.

www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/browse.aspx?N=4294960042+4294960032
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 22 Nov 13 at 16:32
 Ipad Air deals - VxFan
>> But I don't think you can apply cash and vouchers for this offer.

It's not that clear (well to me anyway) whether you can or not.

I don't want to enter a whole load of vouchers and find that I'm 'x' amount short and I can't make up the difference in money, then find I can't undo the transaction and lose my vouchers in cyberspace.

Might have to give Tesco a call to see what the score is.

edited typo
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Nov 13 at 01:28
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
Some cash back deals in PC World on tablets. Cash back claimable weeks after paying the full price.

I still think Apple might cut prices on Friday. I know these items are selling but is's Black Friday and Apple.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 26 Nov 13 at 00:37
 Ipad Air deals - Duncan
>> I still think Apple might cut prices on Friday. I know these items are selling
>> but is's Black Friday and Apple.
>>

Is this what you are referring to?

store.apple.com/au/browse/holiday/shopping_event
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
It's Black Friday this coming Friday - Apple usually cut prices like so many other American retailers on the last Friday of November. Amazon have deals all week.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 26 Nov 13 at 08:38
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
Having ordered an i-Pad mini (Retina Display) 32Gb from John Lewis, we were able to conveniently pick it up from the local Waitrose store on Saturday afternoon. This was supposed to be a Christmas present but, having made the mistake of letting her register it online etc, I can't prise it off her. She loves it - it makes her old Sony S1 tablet look like a horse and cart!
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
For anyone that can hold on until Friday, it's not unusual for Apple to knock 10% off on Black Friday. Even on new items like iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina Display, iPhone 5S. Obviously I don't know their plans, just what they've done before.
I'm waiting to see if that happens, and if so will J Lewis knock £47.90 off the 32Gb Air ?....that's the equivalent of 16 pints of Goose Eye 'Chinook' at my local, so a couple of free nights boozing! And a few packets of pig rind.
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
>> and if so will J Lewis knock £47.90 off the 32Gb Air

Who knows. In theory any price reduction at Apple would be in store too and JL might match it. On the other hand they might not. Apple themselves have more scope to cut prices because of their better margins.
 Ipad Air deals - smokie
John Lewis today refunded me £30 on the Air I bought last week as Tesco.com now have the same model in stock with £30 off code, valid till tomorrow. So if you have already bought at John Lewis go to this link www.johnlewis.com/never-knowingly-undersold and tell them that Tesco.com are giving £30 off with this code TDX-KW3Q.

But be quick!
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 26 Nov 13 at 21:24
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
"But be quick!"

I was quick ………… and just received a mail to say that £30 is being re-credited to our account!

So, MANY THANKS for the heads-up, Smokie! I offer you a virtual pint and Mrs H offers you a peck on the cheek [which is more than I get these days!].
 Ipad Air deals - smokie
... and me :-)
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
I see Currys are now doing a £30 cash back as well.

I must admit, I value the reliability and the 3-year guarantee offered by John Lewis. When the Samsung t.v. we bought turned out to have awful sound, they invited us to change it for a different model; when the HD failed in Mr's H's laptop, they dealt with it - and no messing. When our 13month old cordless phone packed up, Currys didn't want to know - hence, I've never been back there.
Last edited by: Haywain on Wed 27 Nov 13 at 18:40
 Ipad Air deals - CGNorwich
>> I see Currys are now doing a £30 cash back as well.
>>
>> I must admit, I value the reliability and the 3-year guarantee.

Two years I believe , except for their own brand stuff when they give three.
And 5 years on all TVs
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
"Two years I believe ,"

Three years I know.

Unless you are saying 1 year manufacturer + 2 years JL. = 3 years
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
For iPads the website says 2 years. 3 years if you pay £75.
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
"For iPads the website says 2 years. 3 years if you pay £75."

Blimey ……. it does as well!

We ordered ours last Friday, picked it up on Saturday. At that time, it came with a 3-year guarantee (now apparently worth £75!) and it's printed on our receipt; and thanks to the tip-off from Smokie, we got a £30 'price-match' rebate.

The website also says that they are now out of stock …….. not surprising, really!

If they knock off more than £105 for black Friday, I will spit!
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
I was sure it said 3 years only a few days ago as I had looked. And in fact was about to post as such when I checked and found it had seemed to change.

Then again in 2 years these will be worthless old technology.
These are the standard JLP terms.

The 3 year guarantee on Apple computers was a limited offer and has now expired.

www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/electricals/archive/john-lewis-inclusive-guarantees
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
"Then again in 2 years these will be worthless old technology."

Old technology, yes; but I'm amazed at what iPad 2s are still being sold at.

We really are going to have to take good care of that piece of paper that says "3-year guarantee". Did your 'Air' come with that. Smokie?

Ipad Air deals - smokie
Haven't opened it yet, Crimbo pressie for SWMBO! I suppose I should get it out of JL packaging...
Hope you ordered a case for it. In my opinion the Apple one's are best but expensive.
 Ipad Air deals - rtj70
For anyone wondering about 3 year warranties on tablets.... that ended yesterday apparently. Now it's 2 years. Still better than Apple.

Today, JL are also matching prices for iPads etc in the Apple Store. To be expected but not huge discounts. All you have to do is ask when you're paying for them to adjust the price.

Edit: In fact the online prices now also price matched - probably only for today though.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 29 Nov 13 at 15:39
 Ipad Air deals - smokie
She knows she's getting the iPad and her pal has a case which she bought at an airport, and she wants the same so we've been trying to find it online, no success yet.

For a woman, the case is something I wouldn't like to buy - very personal choice.

Also she wanted the grey iPad, not the white, which surprised me.

Must remember to get the 3G card before Christmas too. Probably Virgin £5 pm 30 day 500mb contract - should be ample as she'll mostly only use it on wireless anyway, and will mostly be for browsing and Facebook. Virgin have been good to me and may do me a deal on that price.
 Ipad Air deals - Zero

>> For a woman, the case is something I wouldn't like to buy - very personal
>> choice.

Oh yes, you don't buy a woman an iPhone or fondle-slab case, any more than you would choose their handbag or shoes.
 Ipad Air deals - smokie
Just called Virgin, getting a PAYG SIM, unlimited data and texts for £5 pm. Not bad!
If you buy an non Apple case make sure the magnetic switch works. Some of the cheaper cases don,t always work.
 Ipad Air deals - smokie
Will do. I doubt the airport case was cheap though!!
I started the thread, and at the moment I just CBA'd to spend the money. The 32Gb model I wanted at JL is out of stock, and the warranty period is reduced. The 64Gb model is available, but at the same price as a 2 week S/C ski holiday, which I prefer.
...looks like I'm sticking with the 14" Samsung Q330 for the time being..
 Ipad Air deals - Bill Payer
I know this thread is a few days old but Costco online are doing the 32Gb for £445 - they've got other memory sizes too. If you're not a member you can still buy online bit +5%.

The blurb with the listing indicates that as they're not official Apple resellers then Costco's standard terms apply, which effectively means it's guaranteed for as long as you feel hard-faced enough to return it. Would be worth checking that with them if that's vital to you.
 Ipad Air deals - zippy
Now I Have 2!

Ordered a 64gb version, changed my mind and cancelled the first order and went for the 128gb model (I like having all my music with me).

They have delivered both, but as it is based on reward points they cannot take payment twice.

Better give them a call to collect the wrong one!

Ipad Air deals - rtj70
>> Better give them a call to collect the wrong one!

That would be the honest and right thing to do - they clearly didn't really cancel the first order and therefore might pursue you for payment. They might not if their systems are poor.
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
I see John Lewis is doing the i-Pad Air with a 'free' 3-year guarantee again until 24th Dec.

I don't know if anyone is doing a better deal that could be quoted for a price-match discount.
I missed out on the 'Black Friday' 10% off, and Tesco's £30 voucher code off. At least J Lewis have reinstated the free 3 year warranty, so they currently look the best option. I would like (not need) one before early March if possibly, so might take the plunge soon!
 Ipad Air deals - smokie
Hafta say, while it's a nice piece of kit I am a bit disappointed with SWMBOs iPad. Nothing really I can put my finger on, but she was set on one. I suppose for me it's cos it's not Windows or Android. She wouldn't say it but I'm not sure it really is meeting her expectation either. She seems to be to be still using the old laptop most of the time... maybe it's just unfamiliarity.
 Ipad Air deals - Alanovich
>> Nothing really I can put my finger on

That really is a massive drawback for a touch screen device.
I finally stopped procrastinating and have had one delivered to my CA friends address + a Logitech Ultrathin keyboard. They bought an Air in the Black Friday sales, so they each have an Ipad now. We have similar tastes in music & film so I might be able to 'piggy back' their downloads & apps. At least I shall have plenty of time on our forthcoming road trip to get used to it.
Finally I would like to say what a great piece of kit it is. Primarily because technology and I don't mix, but using it is quite easy. Taking vids on the recent road trip, then sending photos to friends, face timing, and the compactness when travelling make it money well spent.
 Ipad Air deals - Haywain
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the i-Pad. I enjoy mine (the one before the 'Air'), though I fear that I am only using a fraction of its capabilities.

My daughter has the 'Air', and my wife the latest 'Mini'; they've taken them on a trip to visit SiL in Australia. I find FaceTime pretty amazing considering that, when I was a kid, a phone call to Australia was a Christmas luxury costing £x per minute.
Latest Forum Posts