Computer Related > Small Tablet Advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 17

Small Tablet Advice - Bromptonaut
Contemplating some Xmas lolly into a tablet computer. Main use is likely to be web, email and possibly e-books. Don't think I need mobile data, even French campsites now have WiFi.

Recharging is presumably USB as in modern phones, Kindle etc so I can charge it in the car when off mains leccy.

No intention of spending Apple type money, max would be around £200. Happy with android as an OS - The Lad has a nexus phone and can teach me to drive it.

Which recommend the Hudl as good value/entry level kit.

Any reason why I should spend more on say Samsung or Nexus kit or any other suggestions?

TIA!!

Simon.
 Small Tablet Advice - Zero
If you want to spend up to 200 pounds, then the Google Nexus 7 is the beast to go for. Nicole has one and it really is a a nice piece of kit.
 Small Tablet Advice - RattleandSmoke
Samsung or Nexus, or possibly one of the Lenovo units. What ever you do avoid the cheap £50 ones but they are just a waste of precious metals.
 Small Tablet Advice - Robin O'Reliant
>> Samsung or Nexus, or possibly one of the Lenovo units. What ever you do avoid
>> the cheap £50 ones but they are just a waste of precious metals.
>>

+1.

I went one better than that, £30 :-(
>> If you want to spend up to 200 pounds, then the Google Nexus 7 is
>> the beast to go for. Nicole has one and it really is a a nice
>> piece of kit.

Not so much I wanted to spend £200 as wondering what the extra £80 over the Hudl gets me.
It gets you an all round better device. Sharper brighter screen, better build quality, more responsive, faster, better (longer) battery life, thinner, lighter. If you handled one side by by side with the huddle you would see and appreciate what the extra 80 quid gets you.

>> Not so much I wanted to spend £200

Sorry I thought..

>>No intention of spending Apple type money, max would be around £200

Meant you wanted to spend up to £200 max.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 28 Dec 13 at 14:00
 Small Tablet Advice - CGNorwich
"Meant you wanted to spend up to £200 max."

Another £18 will buy you and IPad mini which in my opinion are head and shoulders above the rest.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A6QA4MM/ref=s9_hps_bw_g147_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-right-3&pf_rd_r=1DA3WFJ2Y19XS5SQCQRW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=434166827&pf_rd_i=3437658031
 Small Tablet Advice - No FM2R
No 2 daughter got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" from Father Christmas. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

I can't off hand think of anything that it doesn't do, although the battery life seems a bit limited, although she is somewhat full on at the moment.

I think its about £120 in the UK.

Small Tablet Advice - No FM2R
>>If you handled one side by by side with the huddle you would see and appreciate what the extra 80 quid gets you.

Undoubtedly true. However, whether you would ever pick up on it if you were just using one device is doubtful.

As with so many of these devices you can drive yourself mad with comparisons and worry about every last pixel, whereas it very rarely matters in real life.
 Small Tablet Advice - sherlock47
The Hudl also provides 1080p hdmi connection, and memory card support not sure that any of the others provides both.

Will be interesting to see what hudl2 will offer when released?
 Small Tablet Advice - rtj70
If you have Tesco Clubcard points, the doubling up (if still on) means it can be had for almost half of that. A decent tablet for the money. But the Apple iPad's are slicker but I prefer Android personally.
 Small Tablet Advice - BobbyG
Would recommend the Hudl - I have a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 which is good but a friend got the Hudl at Christmas there and I am very impressed with it.

I did quite a bit of research on tablets a while back and I think the key areas to look at are

RAM
Processor
Pixels
inputs

I do not like ipads as not only are they much dearer, but they do not allow for micro sd cards to be added in. This, in my opinion, is a must, especially if you are planning to use it for travelling and maybe have some cards pre filled with films etc.

However the ipad is good at what it does and is pretty simple to use.

If you have clubcard points to use up the Hudl is a no brainer!

>> Undoubtedly true. However, whether you would ever pick up on it if you were just
>> using one device is doubtful.

Yes but when you are going out to buy one, and you are in a shop full of them, that is exactly what you do.
 Small Tablet Advice - BobbyG
Buying in a shop??????

How retro !
well you don't buy in the shop, you go out and view and touch stuff, have a coffee and then go home and buy it on-line.
Got the Hudl in the end, £105.50 after we'd rounded up the few clubcard vouchers we own. Mrs B doesn't like Tesco so apart from the odd fill of fuel we don't get many of them.

Handled a Nexus as well and while it looks/feels better and is lighter it's worth £100 more for sort of thing I want. Neither does it have a memory expansion slot.

Hudl's set up was pretty easy, still need to sort the email out but Demon mail is always fiddly. Ab blocker needed manual configuration too. Beginning to get idea of using touch screen and apps/widgets.

Not intuitive yet but getting there.

Off to apps store next for Kindle app and possibly those for National Rail and London Midland. While I'm not commuting any more I've been touted to family and beyond as a travel advisor....
 Small Tablet Advice - rtj70
From what little I've seen of the Huddle (locked down demo mode) it looks an okay Android tablet. Better than the Nook HD* I got but I wanted a cheap tablet for holidays and use as an eReader. We also have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. And then the computers as well.

Got so many gadgets the cat could be using the Nook HD!

Any Android questions then start a new thread and ask.

* My NookHD runs stock Android 4.3 (not upgraded to 4.4 yet) as does the Hudl. Another good thing about the Hudl or Nexus 7.... vanilla Android without skins like on a Samsung or Sony tablet.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 30 Dec 13 at 17:22
 Small Tablet Advice - sherlock47
If you jave not yet discovered that you can set it into 'Developer mode' by going to the Settings menu . Explained here www.hudlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=175

You can then set some useful options on
eg
touch tracking whilst you are a Touch screen newbie,
and permanently on when charging.

2 very useful apps /widgets

are a screen orientation lock for when using in bed to stop it flipping when held at 45 degrees!

a blutooth switch and indicator.

If you are using it for keyboard input a BT keyboard is useful, the tinyurl.com/o99fy3n is extremely well made and looks good! It was on on Amazon for less tha £20 at one time. Altho you can find cheaper look alikes.

Latest Forum Posts