Computer Related > Travel router Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 16

Travel router - CGNorwich
I have recently booked a holiday apartment that has internet access but it's a wired connection although there is WIFI in the public areas.

Would like to use an ipad and ipod touch which of course have no wired connection capabilities.

If I understand correctly if I buy a travel router this should enable me to create a wifi zone in my room by connecting the router to the internet socket.

Can someone confirm that this is correct and whether it is just a matter of plugging the router in. Will it need to be configured in any way and any suggestions as to what I should buy (cheap as possible!).
 Travel router - No FM2R
I don't think so.

If you take a normal wireless access point with you, then you can plug that into an internet socket and it will give you WiFi. And any AP should work.

As I understand it, the travel routers are intended to be driven by 3G access, e.g. your mobile phone. Consequently the cost would depend on your mobile phone data roaming contract.

I guess there's no reason why it wouldn't plug into a wired router, but I haven't done it. And it seems like unnecessary expense - you could just take your AP from home, or buy a dirt cheap one. Dirt cheap as in £10/£15. The difference in cost is normally related to distance and penetration. Since you're in a single room or similar a more expensive one would just be wasting your money.

It should not need configuring in any way, but this is easy to test; plug into into your own router, then wander to a neighbour / friend / relative and plug it into theirs and see if it still has access - which it almost certainly will. There is no country dependency.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 03:05
 Travel router - Falkirk Bairn

>>
>> It should not need configuring in any way, but this is easy to test; plug
>> into into your own router, then wander to a neighbour / friend / relative and
>> plug it into theirs and see if it still has access - which it almost
>> certainly will. There is no country dependency.
>>

I do not think so!

Depends on the router.

Son's BT router is locked and cannot be configured for other than BT.

My Netgear can be configured by connecting cable to the router and vary settings which are different depending on whether it is BT/TalkTalk/Sky etc etc.

You can buy self configuring routers but the OP may have one locked by his ISP
This would seem to do the trick.

tinyurl.com/mwujdam
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 08:46
 Travel router - Zero
>> This would seem to do the trick.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/mwujdam

that will do just dandy.
Thanks. Now that I'm sure it's what I need I will pop into Maplin's later today.
Picked one up this afternoon. Amazingly small and light - about 5cm x5cm x 1.5 cm.

Thanks everyone.
Am in the Canaries at the moment and confirm that the travel router does the job I wanted. Gives rock solid wifi all around the apartment and outside on the terrace.

Big recommendation for FilmOn too. I didn't think would be a able to get BBC and other UK channels without VPN but FilmOn works a treat. All UK channels plus a zillion others! Not sure why BBC continue to make IPlayer unavailable abroad when you can just download the FilmOn App but there you go.

Can't remember who recommended FilmOn but thanks whoever you are.
 Travel router - No FM2R
>>Not sure why BBC continue to make IPlayer unavailable abroad

Rights management. If they do not make determined efforts to protect the rights themselves, then it is very difficult or impossible for them to sue anybody else for not respecting them.
Yes that seems logical. Looking on Google it's seems that FilmOn were indeed stopped by the BBC from re-broadcasting a year or so back but something seems to have changed. I guess the legalities are a minefield.
 Travel router - Stuartli
TVCatchUp has had some similar broadcasting rights problems, but is negotiating to return to the status quo. It's a very popular app or desktop facility.
 Travel router - Zero
>
>> Depends on the router.
>>
>> Son's BT router is locked and cannot be configured for other than BT.
>>
>> My Netgear can be configured by connecting cable to the router and vary settings which
>> are different depending on whether it is BT/TalkTalk/Sky etc etc.
>>
>> You can buy self configuring routers but the OP may have one locked by his
>> ISP

You don't need to worry about WAN side if you just plug one of your router lan ports into the neighbours router wan port. It should then broadcast wifi and connect to the wan via your neighbours router.

However your home router is too big, Wifi access ports are much smaller, and you have a use for it when you get home.

So to the OP you need a Wireless Access Point at a minimum, some come with a router (but with no ADSL wan) Like this

tinyurl.com/ocpxbko
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 08:54
 Travel router - smokie
Isn't this an ideal application for a Powerline wireless thingy. albeit a bit of a pricey solution if you can't re-use it at home?

Plug it into the ethernet and power sockets and it would become a zero-configuration wireless access point.

TP-Link have the WPA-271 and WP- 281 but there are others. You'd need one with an Ethernet socket, these look like they'd fit the bill, around £30 depending where you buy.

www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA281-Wireless-Powerline-Extender/dp/B0067GS0YO

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-150Mbps-AV200-Wireless-N-Powerline-Extender-Single-Adapter-TL-WPA271-UK-/281150988446?pt=UK_Computing_Powerline_Networking&hash=item4175e7a09e

It would be good if someone can confirm this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
 Travel router - Zero
>> It would be good if someone can confirm this but I don't see why it
>> wouldn't work.

It would work, and it would have a use when you got home, but while using it abroad you would be broadcasting your internet traffic around the hotels mains supply for anyone else to pick up.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 12:36
 Travel router - No FM2R
>>I do not think so!
>>Depends on the router.

So you think you cannot plug a wireless access point into your BT router?
 Travel router - Fursty Ferret
I use one of these since most hotels offer free cabled internet but charge for WiFi:

www.satechi.net/index.php/satechi-smart-travel-router

Works well though falls out of US-style sockets if you nudge it too hard. But then so do most things.
 Travel router - rtj70
Amazon have plenty to choose from too:

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+router
Latest Forum Posts