Computer Related > Skype Computing Issues
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 9

Skype - maltrap
A friend of ours has just been posted to Lagos. She suggested we "Skype" each other.
I have a desk top computer & seperate HP monitor, i assume i need a webcam & microphone, can anyone recommend any particular makes to buy or avoid i don't anticipate using this a lot, it may end up as a 5 minute wonder ! Any advice greatly appreciated.
 Skype - Zero
this will do the job nicely

www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003R1O320/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

And you'll need to open a Skype account.

www.skype.com/en/
 Skype - bathtub tom
Zeddo's recommendation has a built-in microphone I see, but does the OP have speakers? If not they'll need some or headphones (speakers recommended so you can hear when someone calls).
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sat 11 Jan 14 at 16:58
 Skype - Zero
Its a good "tryout"

If you get into Skype, then next invest in a set of headphones with boom mic.
 Skype - maltrap
Thanks both, my system does have speakers, the Logitech C270 HD gets good reviews and looks a bargain at £10.
 Skype - Mike H
>> If you get into Skype, then next invest in a set of headphones with boom
>> mic.
>>
These are OK if there is only person in the call at maltrap's end, but my wife & I invariably skype friends and family and both take part in the conversation at the same time, so headphones would be no good in this case - speakers and mic are a must. Never used my headphones for skype, so best see how it goes.
Last edited by: Mike H on Sun 12 Jan 14 at 16:58
 Skype - Bromptonaut
>> These are OK if there is only person in the call at maltrap's end, but
>> my wife & I invariably skype friends and family and both take part in the
>> conversation at the same time, so headphones would be no good in this case -
>> speakers and mic are a must. Never used my headphones for skype, so best see
>> how it goes.

With The Lad and Miss B both at Uni we use Skype regularly. Usually on Mrs B's Win7 Packard Bell which has an integrated webcam and speakers. Occasionally it's my 2006 Fujitsu Siemens XP clunker with a logitech camera one of the kids bought yrs ago when the IP based home VC stuff first started. Maybe they hosted via MySpace?

Not sure if camera is miked or whether it uses the mic that's integrated into the laptop.

Headphones and boom are a bit cumbersome for family stuff but no doubt essential in an office.
 Skype - Haywain
If you'd been thinking of getting an i-pad, don't bother messing about with Skype - get the i-pad. From what I've seen, FaceTime is much better, and you don't have to mess about with further cameras and microphones. When my wife's SiL moved house in Australia, she was able to do the 'reverse-camera' thing and show my wife round the new house and garden.

Someone will be along shortly to explain that 'Skype is the best thing since sliced bread, and FaceTime is rubbish' - but that's not what we've found!
 Skype - CGNorwich
Facetime is great providing of course the person you are calling is also has an Apple machine and is also a Facetime user.

If you want to talk to the people who don't have an Apple machine (the majority) then it has to be Skype, which works across all platforms. Actually Skype on an Ipad is very easy to use and will do everything that Facetime does. Use it all the time. Very handy and cheap for making phone calls too when overseas
 Skype - R.P.
I wanted Facetime for my business needs in work. Its download demands are lower than Skype. IT guy only wants Microsoft...Skype works quite well considering.
Latest Forum Posts