Computer Related > Trouble with Clicking? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 21

Trouble with Clicking? - Duncan
I didn't know what else to call it.

If I am looking at, say, Autotrader, I used to select the make or model of a car by putting the pointer in the vertical box/window on the right hand side of the list of makes, click and the list would whizz down, alternatively, I could put the pointer in the little box in the bottom right hand corner and the list would move down rather more slowly.

Now, it seems the only way to move the list down is to put the pointer in the list and use the scroll wheel on the mouse.

I hope this makes sense.

TIA
 Trouble with Clicking? - Focusless
Not sure how it was before, but yes, I would expect to be able to move down the list by sliding the vertical slider, or clicking on the gap underneath it to 'page' down. But trying to do either just results in selecting the item level with the cursor (although it isn't highlighted).

I'm using Chrome.
 Trouble with Clicking? - Mike H
Funny you should mention it, I've been having a similar problem in the last 2-3 days, it suddenly started to happen. I use Chrome, and haven't tried it on other browsers. I think a Chrome update has upset something.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 10:15
 Trouble with Clicking? - Mike H
>> Funny you should mention it, I've been having a similar problem in the last 2-3
>> days, it suddenly started to happen. I use Chrome, and haven't tried it on other
>> browsers. I think a Chrome update has upset something.
>>
Just tried it on Firefox, and everything behaves as it used to, so definitely a problem manifested in Chrome.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 10:15
 Trouble with Clicking? - Duncan
Ah!

Perhaps that's it. I too am using Chrome.

Not the end of the world, but an irritation all the same.
 Trouble with Clicking? - bathtub tom
I type the first letter of the make or model after the one I want.

If I'm looking for Vauxhall, type 'W'.
 Trouble with Clicking? - smokie
There must have been some update somewhere which caused this issue, as I'm seeing it too.

ISTR a JAVA update and a Flash player update recently, didn't think they used that for drop downs though.

EDIT: This is some kind of Chrome developers blog where they talk about this issue. code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=334522 - seems to be due to a new Chrome release (it must update itself, I don't recall updating it). It's mentioned elsewhere too.

They seem keen to get a quick fix as it is losing them customers...
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 10:27
 Trouble with Clicking? - rtj70
On IE it has the scroll bar. On Safari on the Mac it does not. But I'm used to using drop down boxes like that on Safari anyway. Maybe Chrome has re-worked drop down boxes to work more like Safari?

EDIT: And it won't just be Autotrader that is effected. It will be drop down boxes in all websites - this one included.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 11:02
 Trouble with Clicking? - hjd
I have been having problems too - didn't think of it being Chrome. Had problems with the log in for internet banking.
 Trouble with Clicking? - Robin O'Reliant
I thought it was just me.

I'm on Chrome too.
One of the symptoms of this problem I'm seeing (assuming it's the same one) is in this site's forum selector drop-down, the one that starts with Non-motoring. Although Computer Related is there at the bottom and can be selected, it doesn't highlight if you hover the mouse over it, unlike the other entries. It does highlight if you press the down arrow key enough times.

Surprised this hasn't been fixed yet, and that it got through regression testing in the first place.
Dunno if any of you Chrome users also use SkyDrive but that seems to be broken in the current Chrome too, I can get onto it fine with IE though.
I've just got so fed up with the damn thing I've switched to Firefox.
 Trouble with Clicking? - Stuartli
>> I've just got so fed up with the damn thing I've switched to Firefox.>>

Used it for years, but now with Waterfox since getting Windows7 64bit. If you have a 64bit operating system, why not try Waterfox?..:-)

www.waterfoxproject.org/

Trouble with Clicking? - No FM2R
>>why not try Waterfox?..:-)

I've switched. I'll let you know how it goes.

So far installation of Waterfox and my extensions, together with importing bookmarks & favourites was all very quick and easy.
It does seem to have a bit more zip, cheers Dave.
 Trouble with Clicking? - No FM2R
So far it has been a complete fsdfds getting flash player working properly, but that may have been my own issue rather than Waterfox.

Other than that browser start up seems no different, but then it zips along pretty well. And everything seems to work. It also seems far less of a memory hog than Chrome.

Unless something unexpected goes wrong I guess I'll be sticking with Waterfox for the time being.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 02:09
It's a damn sight better than IE11 anyway. Every time MS bring a new version out I think I'll give it a try, I've never lasted more than a day with any of them.
Chrome issue fixed.
Agree - still can't access Skydrive, must be a different issue
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 29 Jan 14 at 11:03
>> still can't access Skydrive

I can - didn't try previously so don't know if anything's changed.
Just had a look, it was nothing to do with Chrome and is OK now, please ignore me. :-)
Latest Forum Posts