Computer Related > "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 9

"Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - FocalPoint
The topic line is a direct quotation from FoxNews.com The article includes the following:

'Incidents were documented between December 23 and January 6 featuring "waves of malicious email, typically sent in bursts of 100,000, three times per day, targeting enterprises and individuals worldwide." More than a quarter of the emails were sent by things that were not conventional laptops, desktop computers or mobile devices.'

How does a thing that is not a computer send e-mails? In what way can a fridge be involved?

Please explain, somebody.
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - zippy
Fridge or TV has a simple computer with mail software or browser built in, presumably to order more milk or set the recording of Eastenders.
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 17:25
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - Slidingpillar
My router can email the log to any valid email address.
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - Zero
Unix and its derivatives has a built in email client as part of the base OS. Loads of things run an embedded version of (l)unix. Vending machines, Photocopiers, routers and switches, electricity meters, games consoles, televisions, cars, etc etc.
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - VxFan
It was probably the spam that was left in the fridge.
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - Kevin
>It was probably the spam that was left in the fridge.

Groan..!

Get yer damn coat.
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - Haywain
The default message at the bottom of an e-mail sent from an i-Pad is 'Sent from my i-Pad' - which is not only free advertising for Apple, but it enabled owners to brag about the fact that they'd got an i-Pad.

For the past couple of months, mine has signed off with the postscript "Sent from my slow-cooker"
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - Zero
I leave the default apple signature. It explains why the formatting is all screwed up and why there are strange words (chosen by the auto-correct) in the message.
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - Mapmaker
>> I leave the default apple signature. It explains why the formatting is all screwed up
>> and why there are strange words (chosen by the auto-correct) in the message.

And why I've written in note form. I've always imagined it to be a form of apology, rather than advertising for apple.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Tue 21 Jan 14 at 08:38
 "Hackers use refrigerator in cyber attack" - Haywain
Yes, the auto-correct is a real pain. The trouble, I find, is that it is more difficult to spot a real (but stupidly wrong) word than a glaring typo. Sometimes, when you re-read the piece later, you just wonder how such a senseless word could have crept in.

Can it be turned off, or would that screw up useful automatic processes as well?
Latest Forum Posts