Computer Related > Office 2013 - Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 11

Office 2013 - - BobbyG
I currently run Office 2003 on my laptop at home which runs Win 7. Daughter also runs it on her laptop which runs Vista.

At work we use 2010 and through our virtual desktop I can access work form home and do whats needed that way. However daughter is at uni and this year has found a few documents etc that have needed 2010 on - have downloaded some free software from net to try and overcome this but not ideal solution.

However, through a friend's work's loyalty scheme, I can get a legit Office 2013 Pro for the grand sum of £8.95.

Question is, should I bother? More than likely daughter would need it more than me but her laptop runs Vista - would this be an issue? At home I use Word occasionally, Outlook all the time and excel quite often.

Part of me saying that for £9 then I might as well as it will "future proof" me for a while.

Thoughts?
 Office 2013 - - No FM2R
Buy it.

The Open office stuff works, but there are limitations. Few, to be sure, but typically damned annoying when they happen.

It will make no odds that she uses Vista.

£9 is clearly a bargain. Check the licencing arrangements - specifically can you use it on more than one machine? - if you wish to you may need to buy two copies. Still a bargain.
 Office 2013 - - Crankcase

>> It will make no odds that she uses Vista.

I believe Office Pro 2013 can't be installed on Vista - Windows 7/8 and on only.
 Office 2013 - - BobbyG
Crankcase, you are correct.
Would need to try and install Win 7 first of all to work on her laptop.
Looks like it might need to be mine then and let her use it as and when!
 Office 2013 - - No FM2R
>>I believe Office Pro 2013 can't be installed on Vista

Oooo, didn't know that.
 Office 2013 - - rtj70
I got a full copy of Office 2011 for the Mac for £8.95 through a scheme with work. Terms and conditions say it can be used providing you continue to work for the same employer. So going this way you won't really be legit - the offer is for your friend. But then Microsoft won't know.

Can't you get cheap copy of Office as your daughter is in higher education?
 Office 2013 - - Bromptonaut
We got a home/student edition of 2010 cheaply with one of offspring's laptops. Licence for three machines so Mrs B, Miss B and The Lad all use it. I'm still using 2003 (which was what we used at work) and never find it limiting.

Does occasionally give warnings about loss of features opening documents in docx format or the 2010 vessions of Excel or PP. Never stopped me reading or using the files concerned.
 Office 2013 - - BobbyG
Sounds like a similar scheme rtj, blinking good price.

Looking at getting the student discount still keeps it at around the £100 mark.
 Office 2013 - - Zero
at 9 quid its a no brainer.
 Office 2013 - - Fursty Ferret
It's not actually legit (in the legal sense) but it will activate. Annoyingly my employer has moved away from Office so we no longer get access to the deal.
 Office 2013 - - Victorbox
Agree it's not legit as it's for the employee's home use only and only while they work for that company. I doubt that many uninstall the software! They must get the download approved by Microsoft against their work e-mail which then allows them to download on their home PC. They can fork out another £9 for the DVD. tinyurl.com/ozsr9jf
Last edited by: Victorbox on Wed 22 Jan 14 at 20:08
 Office 2013 - - Aretas
I agree that at £9 you should bite their hand off. I paid about £60 several years ago for Office 2010 and don't regret it for an instant. I did find that on my elderly desktop that opening documents was a little slower than 2003.
Latest Forum Posts