Computer Related > Email contacts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 11

Email contacts - Pat
We've just changed over from Tiscali to BT for broadband, TV and phone only to allow us to watch MotoGP on BT Sport (don't I remember something called the Monopolies Commission year ago?)

The reason we'd been with Tiscali all those years was because of my email address being a contact point for the charity and my small business.

I tried to set up BT Mail and found it would receive but not send emails, a problem I always had with Tiscali when staying in a hotel and using their wifi, so this made me think the time was right to take the plunge and transfer to an independent email programme.

I managed to migrate all my folders to gmail yesterday, although it took ages, and transferred my contacts as well but can't seem to find an easy way to notify everyone in one go of my new email address.

Any ideas please?

Pat

Email contacts - smokie
You're doing it wrong Pat, get a domain (e.g. www.pat.co.uk) for peanuts per year, then you get a fully portable email address (e.g. pat@pat.com) which you just point at wherever happens to be your ISP and your mail will be redirected there. it really is simple.

Then, once you've done it once, you do not have to notify anyone again. Plus you get free unlimited email addresses - so I have junk ones, special ones for special stuff which I manage using Outlook rules etc.

I use www.1and1.co.uk, domain costs £2.39 for 1st year for .co.uk (£4.19 subsequent years) or £9.59 for first year for .com (£14.13 thereafter)
 Email contacts - MD
Don't use gmail. Not very secure.
 Email contacts - Pat
I've got one, fenlandtraining.co.uk, but I've forgotten my log in details to the control panel!

And I'm not sure how to direct that mail to WLM.

I had Tiscali set to collect it...or fenland training set to send it but I hate mail setting up anyway!

Pat

.....and looking at the replies so far this is exactly the reason I lost interest in cooking before I was 12 years old. You're doing it all wrong Pat...brings back memories so I didn't bother doing it at all:)
 Email contacts - VxFan
I'm with the same ISP who took over Tiscali (Talk Talk), IIRC within the online email settings there is a mail forwarding option.

I was with Pipex, who merged initially with Tiscali, (before Talk Talk). Any emails to my Pipex address get forwarded to another address.

>> can't seem to find an easy way to notify everyone in one go of my new email address.

The only way would be to "bcc" each contact. That way no one else would see anyone else's email address you notify.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 10:18
 Email contacts - RattleandSmoke
The setting should be within the domain name settings rather than the hosting. You could either use forwarding (more simple) or a mailbox (better). Sometimes you have to pay for a mailbox but it usually comes free with hosting.

It would solve a lot of problems and it means you can keep your email address for ever, which ever ISP you change to.

Email contacts - VxFan
>> and it means you can keep your email address for ever, which ever ISP you change to.

I still use my freeserve email address on a daily basis, and I haven't been with them for something like 10 years.
 Email contacts - Zero
>> I've got one, fenlandtraining.co.uk, but I've forgotten my log in details to the control panel!
>>
>> And I'm not sure how to direct that mail to WLM.
>>
>> I had Tiscali set to collect it...or fenland training set to send it but I
>> hate mail setting up anyway!
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> .....and looking at the replies so far this is exactly the reason I lost interest
>> in cooking before I was 12 years old. You're doing it all wrong Pat...brings back
>> memories so I didn't bother doing it at all:)

Assuming you are using your Webmail client (thats www.gmail.com on the browser to you)

Sending to a group of people
You can easily send a message to multiple people at once, from a few friends to a large group of people. Here are a few options.

Choose a few recipients

Click Compose to start writing your message.
In the "To" text field, write each person's email address, separated by commas. As you type each address, you may see an auto-complete suggestion that you can click to add that address.
Tip: Everyone in the "To" field will be able to see who else you send this message to. If you'd rather be more discreet, add people to the "Bcc" field so that they can't see who else received this message.

Write your message and click Send. That message will be sent to everyone you added.
If you need to edit or select multiple contacts, hold down the Ctrl key or the Cmd key on your keyboard and select multiple contacts.

When you’re composing or replying to a message, hover over a contact’s name to see the email address associated with it, and double-click a contact’s name to edit it. If you have multiple email addresses linked to a contact, you’ll see your contact’s email address as well as name (e.g. John Smith (johnsmith@gmail.com).

You can also select people from your Contacts page by checking the box next to each person then clicking Email in the group details pane.
Create a group of recipients

If you often send messages to the same set of people, consider creating a contact group to make it easier to email that entire set of people. For example, when you're writing an email, you can choose your contact group "Soccer club" as your recipient rather than entering in each person's email address separately.
 Email contacts - Pat
Thanks Z, I'll start again with it on Monday with a clear head!

Pat
 Email contacts - Manatee
>> Don't use gmail. Not very secure.

In what way, MD?

It would be a concern to me as I rely on it and find it very convenient.
 Email contacts - Crankcase
I was assuming MD meant that Google "read" every mail, and gather information from it. As in

news.yahoo.com/google-argues-continue-scanning-gmail-083912032.html

for example.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 23 Jan 14 at 14:58
 Email contacts - Manatee
Thanks Cranks :)
Latest Forum Posts