Computer Related > "Resolving Host" Computing Issues
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 22

"Resolving Host" - Fursty Ferret
Recently, C4P has been taking ages to load with Chrome stuck on "Resolving Host" in the status bar. About 25% of the time it'll fail to load completely on the first go.

Whoever you use for your name server isn't doing a particularly good job, though, of course, it could just be me.
 "Resolving Host" - Zero
>> Recently, C4P has been taking ages to load with Chrome stuck on "Resolving Host" in
>> the status bar. About 25% of the time it'll fail to load completely on the
>> first go.
>>
>> Whoever you use for your name server isn't doing a particularly good job, though, of
>> course, it could just be me.

It is. Its your ISP who provide the Domain Name Server, not C4P. or it could be your Chrome - clear its DNS cache

Type in URL "chrome://net-internals/#dns" in your Chrome browser.
Click "Clear host cache" button in "Host resolver cache" section or select "Clear cache" option from the drop-down.

"Resolving Host" - Mapmaker
Chrome and car4play don't work together. Use IE for it.
 "Resolving Host" - Zero
So why am I looking at, and typing this on chrome?
 "Resolving Host" - Bromptonaut
Works OK for me and did on my old Centrino chipped Fujitsu too.

My router is playing up ATM but that's for another thread.
 "Resolving Host" - Focusless
Chrome works fine for me here to.

You can usually(?) change the DNS provider in the router settings - I remember changing mine to OpenDNS in a previous router (I think the Sky Hub is locked down).
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 6 Feb 14 at 10:16
 "Resolving Host" - Dog
Bin using Opera for a few days after someone gave it a mench, used to use it some years ago.

All's good so far.
Sorry to drag this up... but it's definitely not me.

www.intodns.com/car4play.com

There's a problem with the Car4play DNS configuration. So there.

ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
The ones that did not respond are:
 "Resolving Host" - No FM2R
Not doubting your difficulties, but no symptoms here.
 "Resolving Host" - Focusless
>> ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:

Don't understand this stuff, but is that definitely 'your' as in c4p, not Fursty Ferret's ISP?
 "Resolving Host" - smokie
Name servers are used by a machine to locate the destination of traffic, they do not handle inbound stuff. So maybe browsing FROM the c4p web server could be impacted, but not your access to it. (DNS servers in a nutshell take a website name e.g. www.car4play.com and translate it to the address e.g. 234.567.890.1, which is what all routing depends on).
>> but it's definitely not me.

What led you to this thought? Have you found a pattern to the behaviour?

Any clues you can give might help. because right now it kind of looks like it *is* you.
 "Resolving Host" - hjd
I have been having exactly the same problems for some time, so it's definitely not just you.
On Chrome, and ISP is sky.
Not happening on any other site.
Can I suggest you try Google's DNS then? Here's a How To link.

www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_windows7.shtml

Use address 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Easy setting to make, easily rolled back, instant effect, not even a reboot required (Win7 - XP may be different)

I'm on Virgin and find the Google DNS servers more reliable than the default, although never much wrong with Virgin ones either.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 9 May 14 at 07:22
 "Resolving Host" - Crankcase
>> ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
>> The ones that did not respond are:
>> 195.10.240.68

If I go to that link from here (ie from the University cam.ac.uk domain) then I get the same error reported.

The address resolves to misc1.avensys.net
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 9 May 14 at 07:57
But it's not significant to us users. (As a matter of interest when I type that address into my browser it tells me it requires authentication).
 "Resolving Host" - Kevin
Does it happen with every device (lappy/tablet/phone) where you are or just one?

Have you rebooted your router?

The reason that I ask is that, by default, most devices get their DNS Server addresses by DHCP and your home router will advertise itself as the DNS server. A DNS query from your lappy will therefore be sent to the router which will then query it's cache or forward the request to whatever DNS server addresses it was given (usually by DHCP again) by your ISP. If your router is fairly old the DNS implementation might be a bit flakey

If that fixes it temporarily see if there's a firmware update for your router.
... or use different DNS server. From memory Google's are 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 but I might be wrong. Somewhere in network config.
The problem is not with the DNS that I'm using, it's with the name servers used by C4P.

Specifically, one of them. That's why the problem is intermittent because most of the time the details are cached or are provided correctly by the working server.

I can't fix it, this is a problem with the site configuration.
Here's an easy-to-understand summary of nameservers.

computer.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm

Or if you prefer to watch than read www.youtube.com/watch?v=72snZctFFtA
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 10 May 14 at 06:20
 "Resolving Host" - car4play
... I've just picked this up. Sorry for not paying attention earlier.

You are quite right. There is a problem with our secondary name server.
We provide the master name server ns1.khoosys.net
And Avensys provide the secondary backup name server ns2.avensys.net.
The secondary is having some real go slow problems at the moment. I have requested a fix but this has taken longer than expected. For our new websites I have created a secondary of our own ns2.khoosys.net.

With 2 name servers what one finds is that depending on which name server your lookup uses will determine if you have a problem. A false positive result from a faulty name server can take a while to clear. This explains why some will have an issue and not others.

I will have to alter the secondary to our new one but this might take a day or so to change.

Thanks for the info though.
Last edited by: car4play on Sat 10 May 14 at 00:31
 "Resolving Host" - car4play
It's now using our secondary name server so all should be ok Fursty
I think I am now having the same problem, kind of ironic since I was initially skeptical about FF's issues.

On occasions CAR4PLAY is unresponsive, or at least very very slow. Re-clicking the link often results in an immediate response, suggesting that there is a single element of the access process causing issues and that it can be bypassed.

Its only happening on this site, but for the last week or so it has become very noticeable.
Latest Forum Posts