Computer Related > Wireless from non wireless router? Computing Issues
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 3

Wireless from non wireless router? - BobbyG
In one of our shops we have a non wireless router that the till plugs into. We have then plugged in powerline adaptors to give us wired internet in our backshop as well.
However I would really like wireless through the back but do not want to change the original router at the front.

Is it possible to get wireless through the back? I see you can get wireless powerline adaptors but I can't see if these need to be coming from a router that is originally wireless as well?

If memory serves me right, the reason the router that the till is connected to is not wireless is for security reasons as we also accept credit/debit cards through the till.
 Wireless from non wireless router? - RattleandSmoke
Just get a wireless cable router, and plug that into to the router, will offer a degree of separation from the till system too if you do that.
 Wireless from non wireless router? - rtj70
You could connect a wireless access point (or a 'cable' broadband router) to the power line adapter or the existing router to get WiFi. But that means a WiFi connected machine can see the till on the network and you say for security reasons that is why the till plugs into a non-wifi enabled router. If you introduce WiFi then you need to consider security of the till.

The network will be extended to the WiFi connected devices if you connect any such device. So not really any separation from the till from a security point of view.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 13 Feb 14 at 18:02
 Wireless from non wireless router? - smokie
But to answer your question, no, the router does not need to be wireless to use with wireless powerline adapter. One end of the powerline will plug into your router, the other end does its own wireless connectivity to your device.
Latest Forum Posts