Computer Related > USB to micro-USB cable woes Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 26

USB to micro-USB cable woes - FocalPoint
I've started to use a Samsung Galaxy (no sniggers at the back, please. Yes, I know I was rude about so-called smart phones a while back and some smarty pants will no doubt remember, seeing as most people on here have total recall. Actually, I don't mean most people; I mean Z.)

Abyway... I've bought two different chargers, which are basically plug-shaped things that go in a mains socket. Their output is a USB socket. I've got two cables - USB plug one end, micro-USB the other. No combination of cable and charger work with the phone.

However, both cables work fine with a computer USB socket and will charge the phone; both cables also work fine with a car cigarette lighter charger.

Have I really got two duff mains chargers, or is there some other reason they don't work (e.g. electrical connection issues)?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:28
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - No FM2R
It really does sound like two duff mains chargers, I don't see how it can be the cables. I assume that you have tried more than one wall socket, just to be sure?

Are they Samsung chargers? Because I find them much more reliable than other makes.
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - Stuartli
Not all USB chargers are born equal...

tinyurl.com/88uojm7
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - sherlock47
Been there - got the T shirt. Different device/cable/power source combinations would seem to work at random! never really did get to the bottom of it. Just left cables that work for tablet and phones connected to a working charger - and given up trying to work out why!
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - smokie
Yup, same with Sony Xperia Z here. Seems that thicker (and less cheap) USB cables only will work, and I have a three port USB plug, one port is higher rated than the other two and that is the only one the Xperia will charge on.
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - Zero
you have the wrong chargers - only provide 5 volts, not the signal voltage as well.
>>only provide 5 volts, not the signal voltage as well.

Please explain a bit more...
USB has 4 wires. 1 ground, 1 5v power and two serial. On modern smart phones they need a signal present on the two signal wires to accept charging.

Cheap USB chargers don't supply it.
Are some USB cables not wired with those signal wires?
No. Thats why they call them "charging cables" even tho they don't.

More importantly some chargers don't supply line signal on those wires.
"On modern smart phones they need a signal present on the two signal wires to accept charging. Cheap USB chargers don't supply it."

How come my (cheap) car cigarette-lighter charger works?
How come your two chargers don't.

If you don't want answers don't ask the bldy questions. Sort your own problems out.
"If you don't want answers don't ask the bldy questions. Sort your own problems out."

No need to get stroppy.

I just want to understand, that's all. You're saying my car charger is supplying the necessary signal?

By the way, I borrowed a third wall charger to try, which charges my phone with its own plug-in cable, but does not work with my two cables.

I just can't see the logic here, unless half of what I'm using is junk.

>> I just want to understand, that's all. You're saying my car charger is supplying the
>> necessary signal?

Clearly

>> I just can't see the logic here, unless half of what I'm using is junk.

Clearly
>>I just can't see the logic here, unless half of what I'm using is junk.

I don't think that's necessarily it, I just don;t know what "it" is;

The girls both have iPods. One charger will charge both iPods, the other charger will only charge one of them. In both cases these are the chargers supplied with the iPods and either cable will work with either charger or iPod.

I have tried every variation you can think of without refining the matter at all.

I can only think that there is a variation in the strength or frequency of what Zero called the signal and that there are differing levels of tolerances for that signal in the iPods.
>> >>I just can't see the logic here, unless half of what I'm using is junk.
>>
>> I don't think that's necessarily it, I just don;t know what "it" is;
>>
>> The girls both have iPods. One charger will charge both iPods, the other charger will
>> only charge one of them. In both cases these are the chargers supplied with the
>> iPods and either cable will work with either charger or iPod.

Do both girls have the SAME model of iPod?

>> I have tried every variation you can think of without refining the matter at all.
>>
>> I can only think that there is a variation in the strength or frequency of
>> what Zero called the signal and that there are differing levels of tolerances for that
>> signal in the iPods.
>>
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - Tigger
I've found these brilliant for tricking my tablet to charge from a non-OEM charger

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GC4AJOU

Also allows me to charge from my locked-down government computer as it disables all data transfer so doesn't trigger our software.
Last edited by: Tigger on Fri 11 Apr 14 at 19:04
>>Do both girls have the SAME model of iPod?

Identical. Picked two boxes off the shelf for the same model iPod on the same day. Even the same colour.
Zero may think he has the answer, but my investigations were not conclusive and could find no strict logic to explain the observations.
>> but my investigations were not conclusive and could
>> find no strict logic to explain the observations.

Well I have to say, thats best presented study I have ever seen. Compellingly convincing with clear logical facts beyond dispute.

Oh, now there's a man stood on rock solid foundations!

Not.
Zero must have been drinking the same stuff that I was last night. At the end of the meal, bottles outnumbered people, and did not include the remains from the preprandial warm up.

In the cold light of day I neither understand my post, or his abuse!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 12 Apr 14 at 06:42
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - Pat
You've all lost me....what's an Ipod?

Pat
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - Fursty Ferret
>> USB has 4 wires. 1 ground, 1 5v power and two serial. On modern smart
>> phones they need a signal present on the two signal wires to accept charging.
>>
>> Cheap USB chargers don't supply it.
>>

Strictly speaking they just need the two data pins shorting, with the possible exception of Apple which probably requires an expensive and proprietary chip to confirm the cable as genuine. Foul company.
>> >> USB has 4 wires. 1 ground, 1 5v power and two serial. On modern
>> smart
>> >> phones they need a signal present on the two signal wires to accept charging.
>>
>> >>
>> >> Cheap USB chargers don't supply it.
>> >>
>>
>> Strictly speaking they just need the two data pins shorting,

Strictly speaking thats wrong, they need about 1volt.

>> Apple which probably requires an expensive and proprietary chip to confirm the cable as genuine.

Not true. My foul company phone works on generic chargers without the expensive chip.
 USB to micro-USB cable woes - busbee
I have a mains powered 5v USB power source. I bought three usb cables before I got one to charge my Samsung (nothing special) phone. The problem with the two non-charging cables was they did not supply voltage to one of the pins at the micro USB end. The one that worked was sold as a charging cable.

This is just a statement of what I found when I had a problem.

Last edited by: busbee on Thu 17 Apr 14 at 13:57
FocalPoint,

What you should have bought...............

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILiLaRXHUr0&list=PL3kG3TM8jFKiuaGCl1IPBH9iEZCZj3oH2
Latest Forum Posts