Computer Related > Windows 7 Control Panel GONE Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 6

Windows 7 Control Panel GONE - smokie
My computer has been playing up so I re-installed Windows (64 bit). Something I have installed, or some virus, has stopped Control Panel working. I found a Control.exe in a subdirectory of Windows but double clicking it, it just does nothing. Typing in control in the Run bar just throws up the explorer screen, as if the file doesn't exist.

Virus or something else? Anti malware bytes and MSE don't find anything and I've hardly used it since upgrading - I've been on-line to browse regular websites and download stuff, but only from manufacturer sites.

I'm thinking I will start over again, as I don't like it that my new install is broken before I've finished installing it. Problem was the excessive time it spent downloading patches, for Windows and Office - old DVD. Most times I've had it on, it has had some new patches to install - today there were 124... Maybe I'll try one of the Restore Points first.

The installation was over the old one, because although I swapped out the drive for a new one it wouldn't see the new one (well, not new, just an empty SSD I had lying around - thought I'd install to that then ghost to my desired C drive).

EDIT@ Tried the sfc scannow too, no errors found
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 18 Apr 14 at 23:16
Oh, and although I've found suggestions that Dell drivers may cause it, I can't uninstall as I can't reach the Uninstall software screen...
Forget it, the more I look the more there is dodgy. Can't get sound working. CD player won't always open. Can right click on desktop but clicking display properties doesn't work. No way am I sticking with this install.

But just for interest I found a link where you can download more up to date versions of Windows 7. Looks like you can use an existing key, so that would save me a lot of effort patching. it's here if anyone needs it. www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

If anyone has a thought why it might not see the new drive when I go to install Windows I'd be grateful (it's showing in the BIOS).
 Windows 7 Control Panel GONE - No FM2R
>>If anyone has a thought why it might not see the new drive when I go to install Windows I'd be grateful (it's showing in the BIOS).

I had this problem, or at least that symptom. Weirdly I found an article on the internet somewhere that stated exactly this could occur for an install if the disk had previously been formatted in Apple's file system, even if it had been already reformatted back to be suitable windows.

I can't remember more than that, except I never cured it and had to use a different disk.
 Windows 7 Control Panel GONE - No FM2R
The command for uninstall programs is - control appwiz.cpl - However if you can't get control panel up, then that probably won't help.

I'd agree with you though, this is too early to start fixing, its begin again time.
Yeah you can run that from the Start/Run menu, it does nothing though. Typing this as I burn the new image onto DVD, will be back later to comment on the success or otherwise of the image linked to above.

The drive has been nowhere near an Apple OS :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 07:16
The image from above was pretty good, installed Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 and took my old activation key (also for Pro). The bonus was that my recollection was that my old version was an upgrade one and couldn't install to a clean disk (without some tweaking, whereas this one let me format the disk first.

Then I immediately put on Microsoft Security Essentials and ran a scan, all clean.

Windows is currently installing 150 Important patches!

I've put Office 2013 on, and Google Chrome (which is wonderful, it has remembered all my settings, multiple tabs and passwords etc).

Once the 150 patches are installed I'll reboot and look for any more (Office will undoubtedly need some) and once the patching is done I'll take an image before installing my other carp (and after another scan - I remember installing XP for a mate once, and the second it reached the internet it was bombarded with nasties trying to get in)

I would normally use an old version of Ghost but in all this faffing about it looks like there is disk image functionality in Windows 7 so I'll use that by preference - saves me maintaining old software.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 09:03
Latest Forum Posts