Computer Related > Repairing a Smartphone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 3

Repairing a Smartphone - Bromptonaut
The Lad has dropped his Nexus (LGE960) smartphone. Touchscreen has broken in several places and although the display lights up the touch function is completely lost.

Insurance company of Mum and Dad have paid out and I've now got salvage. You tube vids show how to carry out repair and parts, either screen only or screen/display/digitiser are available.

I'm tempted to give it a try - at worst I'll still have a FUBAR phone and £50-£80 loss for parts.

Anybody else tried this or got words of advice?

Repairing a Smartphone - Zero
You need a good well lit work area, a hands free magnifier, steady and sensitive hands and the right tools.
 Repairing a Smartphone - Manatee
I replaced the broken screen on my iphone 4S. I probably took four hours over it but I was being very careful and methodical, taking pictures and keeping parts in order etc. I could not have done it without using a jeweller's loupe [edit - or magnifier as Zero suggests], I just can't see well enough close up (I have near-perfect eyesight but need glasses to read the paper).

The 4S was very "meccano" with the only real exception being that the battery was glued in. One or two connections have tape over which can be removed and replaced. It was hard to believe that the tiny ribbon connectors would line up and click back OK but they did.

I did forget to transfer the little mesh behind earpiece opening but I am not taking it to bits again for that.

What I did not do was to separate the glass/digitizer/LCD, the replacement I bought for £20 was the complete screen.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 14:12
 Repairing a Smartphone - No FM2R
I've done this a couple of time, it is stressful and nerve-wracking, but actually not that difficult.

The obvious things are sufficient space, light and time and appropriate materials for cleaning and degreasing. Also a tray to put bits in and stop them escaping.

Watch the youtube video a couple of times before starting, which is a bit obvious I guess.

Quite often little, yet essential, bits are kept in place by two other bits trapping them. These bits can fall out and then its difficult to work out where it came from and in what position.

I should think you need a new digitiser as well as everything else. In fact I would be surprised if you do not.
Latest Forum Posts