Computer Related > HDMI vs DVI Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 14

HDMI vs DVI - Focusless
The cheaper monitors tend to have DVI rather than HDMI, but is there any real drawback in connecting PC to (HD) monitor with DVI (assuming you don't want sound out of the monitor)?
 HDMI vs DVI - VxFan
Unless you want to watch a film, or something else that would look good in HD, then I can't see the point.

A lot of new monitors out there still only have a VGA connector on the back.
 HDMI vs DVI - No FM2R
DVI does not carry an audio signal, so you'd have to use additional cables if that mattered to you.
 HDMI vs DVI - Focusless
>> DVI does not carry an audio signal, so you'd have to use additional cables if
>> that mattered to you.

Nope - covered that in the OP.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 22 Apr 14 at 10:36
 HDMI vs DVI - No FM2R
>>Nope - covered that in the OP.

Missed it. Oops.

I'm not aware of any other difference which would affect a computer and monitor.
 HDMI vs DVI - Focusless
ta
 HDMI vs DVI - Focusless
>> Unless you want to watch a film, or something else that would look good in
>> HD, then I can't see the point.

You mean you can't see the point in HDMI or DVI? I think if you have a graphics card with HDMI/DVI output and a monitor with HDMI/DVI input, and a lead, you might as well use them. Looking at 24" monitors they all come with at least DVI.
 HDMI vs DVI - Fursty Ferret
Two potential issues:

1. You may encounter HDCP issues if you try to play back Blu-Rays or rented movies over DVI.

2. HDMI -> DVI results in a slight loss of picture quality (think DVI is only 8 bit).
 HDMI vs DVI - Focusless
>> 2. HDMI -> DVI results in a slight loss of picture quality (think DVI is
>> only 8 bit).

Thanks FF - 8 bits doesn't sound like very many, so I did a bit of googling and of course discovered that it's 8 bits per channel ie. R/G/B, 24 bits in total.

Some interesting discussions here:
www.avsforum.com/t/556134/hdmi-10-bit-dvi-8-bit
 HDMI vs DVI - VxFan
>> You mean you can't see the point in HDMI or DVI?

No, I can see the point, but as I previously said, unless you specifically need something in HD then DVI will be good enough. Why for example would you need a spreadsheet or your emails to be displayed in HD?

>> I think if you have a graphics card with HDMI/DVI output and a monitor with HDMI/DVI input, and a lead, you might as well use them.

Granted, yes, if you've got the connectors and leads already, then you might as well use them. I've got both VGA and DVI connectors and use the DVI one. Although I can't see any difference whatsoever between the two.
 HDMI vs DVI - Focusless
>> >> You mean you can't see the point in HDMI or DVI?
>>
>> No, I can see the point, but as I previously said, unless you specifically need
>> something in HD then DVI will be good enough.

Sorry Vx - it sounds like you're saying HDMI can do HD but DVI can't, and AFAIK that's not true.

>> Why for example would you need
>> a spreadsheet or your emails to be displayed in HD?

If you're talking about resolution, then more pixels means more stuff on the screen; useful for work, and can be for games.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 22 Apr 14 at 13:31
 HDMI vs DVI - rtj70
>> Why for example would you need a spreadsheet or your emails to be displayed in HD?

HD as far as monitors and TVs are concerned relates to resolution (and you might argue refresh rate). So using VGA, DVI or HDMI at say 1920x1080 resolution at 60fps will be the same. DVI/HDMI might be better because they are digital so no distortion. And we all know on this thread includes the ability to carry sound - but from a PC depends on whether the video card supports it.

But go to higher resolutions and things swing in the direction of DVI. HDMI 1.4 is better than 1.3. It's all down to bandwidth and high end monitors (as in high resolution 2560x1440 or higher) tended to use dual DVI. But I think HDMI 1.4 still has rather low refresh rates for the higher resolutions. Fine for movie playback but not so good for a PC IMO.

My last CRT screen was only a 17" display but could run to 1600x1200 (a bit small) but still did that at 90Hz. Drop it down a bit and I did, and I used to have 100HZ+. And you could certainly tell the difference at higher refresh rates.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 22 Apr 14 at 16:43
 HDMI vs DVI - Robin O'Reliant
On a related issue, can you hotplug a HDMI cable (Laptop to TV) or do you have to power off first?
 HDMI vs DVI - VxFan
I can connect up my laptop to the tv in the living room (via a HDMI lead) without switching off either of them - most of the time.

It does have its moments though when I have to put the laptop in standby/hibernate mode and then wake it back up again to get it to talk to the tv.
 HDMI vs DVI - No FM2R
One of my televisions (a pretty new LG) refuses to even acknowledge it has an HDMI socket unless the cable is plugged in before the TV is switched on.
Latest Forum Posts