Computer Related > VGA Cable length Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 11

VGA Cable length - No FM2R

Is there any restriction on the length of a VGA monitor cable from computer to monitor?

VGA Cable length - Focusless
Quick google suggest 7.5m for hi res, 30m for lo
www.teammead.co.uk/itsupport/maximum-cable-lengths/index.html
ooo, excellent link, thank you.
If I cut off a RCA connector from a video cable and put on a BNC connector, would you expect it to work?

i.e. is it just a connector solution?

It seems easier to get a monitor with a RCA video input than it is to get one with a BNC input, but I need this to connect to a DVR with a BNC output.
 VGA Cable length - Focusless
Don't know what I'm talking about here Mark but would this be any good, assuming you can get something similar out there?
www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Coax-RGBHV-Monitor-Cable/dp/B0033AF5Y0
You asked....

I have a farm which has security cameras. I need to change a few things...

There are 4 video cameras connected back to a DVR/Control box (A POS, but I'm not changing it). It has BNC inputs from the cameras and can take up to 8 inputs.

It has two video outputs. One is VGA which connects to the monitor sat with it small office which is where it needs to remain. The other is a BNC output.

I need an additional camera which is easy enough.

I want to put a monitor in the guard hut which is 30m away. Too far for VGA, or at lest for the VGA cables I can get here, and only one VGA output anyway. However, it seems to me I could put a 30m BNC to RCA cable across to a portable television in the guard hut.

It needs to be a minimum value solution outside the office since if it is at all valuable it will be stolen, probably by the security guards. Don't ask, that's just how it is.

So, if I buy a BNC/BNC cable and remove one BNC and replace it with RCA, do we think it will work. I think it will, since I think its the same signal just a different connector. But I;m not sure.

DVR =- www.manufacturer.com/8ch-2-d16-cif-recordingstandalone-dvrsedvr-6308s-products-p6663143
I'm guessing Zero is on a flounce, which is irritating since he'd probably know the answer to this.

Anybody else got a clue? I've got to get on with it tomorrow.

The relevant question is...

if I buy a BNC/BNC [video] cable and remove one BNC connector and replace it with an RCA connector, do we think it will work? I think it will, since I think its the same signal just a different connector. But I'm not sure.
 VGA Cable length - VxFan
>> So, if I buy a BNC/BNC cable and remove one BNC and replace it with
>> RCA, do we think it will work. I think it will, since I think its
>> the same signal just a different connector. But I;m not sure.

I don't think it will make any difference. I used to have flimsy connectors on the rear of my Sony stereo (a weak plastic clip you levered up, pushed the speaker wire in a hole and then released the clip to nip the wire). I replaced them with RCA sockets and plugs because the original connectors never made a proper connection.

End of the day it's just a plug and socket.
 VGA Cable length - rtj70
You can also get BNC to RCA adapters. This is just an analogue video signal so I think it will work as well.
Thanks Guys, I will let you know.
 VGA Cable length - spamcan61
Should work provided you use fairly low loss 75 ohm co-ax, assuming this is a composite video signal so only needs to work to a few MHz.

see:-

www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7603
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 25 Apr 14 at 22:39
 VGA Cable length - Stuartli
I've always found that if you key in "xxxx to xxxx" adapter into Google, eBay or Amazon, it will invariably come up with a remarkably low cost adapter solution.
Latest Forum Posts