Computer Related > Linux disk formatting Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 3

Linux disk formatting - smokie
I've taken a drive out of a NAS, one or the other is broken. I thought the NAS as 1) it's old 2) no lights 3) factory reset doesn't work.

So I thought I'd ditch the NAS and use the drive.

Stuck the drive in under Win 7 to format as one big drive and there were 4 partitions. I deleted the rightmost two successfully. The remaining ones fail with disk i/o error. Once it's got that, it requires a reboot to get the disk back.

So I've used DISKPART to try to format the drive. cmd is admin, I can see and select drive 7 but when I do anything it says no drive selected.

So my last ditch effort is a low level format. I guess a UNIX variant would be best for that as I no longer have a floppy with FDISK.

Can someone suggest a version of Linux I can d/l to boot from CD, ideally with a nioce graphical interface which has a low level disk format?

If that fails I need to root through the bin to retrieve the NAS parts and all its screws..!!.

TIA
 Linux disk formatting - No FM2R
Similarily I have an external disk which seemingly works fine. However, if I try to copy stuff onto it or off from it then it simply hangs, although it still appears to be working.

Full format hangs, although Quick Format seemingly works. (Chkdsk & similar also hang).

So a low level format tool would help me as well.
 Linux disk formatting - Focusless
Found using google so no guarantees but might help:

how-to-erase-hard-drive.com/

www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/294540-32-level-hard-disk-formatting-bootable-disk
 Linux disk formatting - smokie
I downloaded Knoppix and had a go with GPSRTED but it won't find the disk.

I'll have a look at the Windows things tomorrow but I can't mount the drive with a drive letter (even using diskpart under cmd) so it seems the disk has had it...
Latest Forum Posts