Computer Related > DVD ripping Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 20

DVD ripping - sooty123
Anyone know any decent software, that's easy to use? I've tried Next DVD Ripper (2 different versions) but the sound is out of sync. Anyone had success with one?
 DVD ripping - smokie
Handbrake?
handbrake.fr/
 DVD ripping - sooty123
Might try that again, when I tried the picture quality was awful.
 DVD ripping - smokie
What are you looking to do? Just make a copy of the DVD, or convert it to a different format?
 DVD ripping - sooty123
Copy it onto a portable hard drive.
 DVD ripping - spamcan61
dvd shrink 3.2

www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/DVD-Shrink.shtml
 DVD ripping - No FM2R
I use DVDShrink also.

Although I do suffer with out of step audio from time to time. Often enough to be annoying, but not often enough to be a show stopper.
 DVD ripping - sooty123
AVG doesn't like that at all, keeps having a fit when I try and download it.
 DVD ripping - smokie
That's funny, my DVDShrink won't launch, nor will a newly downloaded version.

So when you have these on a portable drive are you planning to use them on multiple computers or just one?

if just one or two, you could install virtualclonedrive which gives you virtual DVD drives on which you can open .iso files and copy the DVDs to iso files using imgburn - keeping original quality (at the expense of size).
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 10 May 14 at 17:47
 DVD ripping - sooty123
It will be three computers at most, but more likely two. What's it like to use, fairly easy?
 DVD ripping - smokie
Once you've installed virtualclonedrive it just starts as the computer starts. When you double click an iso file it is automatically mounted, and (I thought) plays. But at the moment mine is just mounting, I right click the filename and play it.

virtualclonedrive is here www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

imgburn is here www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download&
 DVD ripping - No FM2R
>>That's funny, my DVDShrink won't launch, nor will a newly downloaded version.

Mine does. Then I downloaded and upgraded as I had an old version, and that works just fine too.

Version 3.2 Windows 7 64bit.
 DVD ripping - VxFan
I tend to use ConvertXtoDVD
 DVD ripping - smokie
Doesn't allow ripping does it Dave?

I have 64 bit Windows but can;t see a 64 bit DVD Shrink - official site has 3.02.15. It's not something I use much anyway so won't miss it...

DVD ripping - VxFan
You're right, it doesn't. Misread the OPs question.

It's good for creating DVDs from avi format etc though ;)
 DVD ripping - No FM2R
>>official site has 3.02.15

There's a typo somewhere, because mine says it is 3.2.0.15

I don't think there is a specific 64bit version.
 DVD ripping - sooty123
Tried the dvd shrink, not sure if I've done it wrong. copied it into some sort of movie maker file and in the wrong location. Any idea how to get to copy to mp4?
 DVD ripping - icarust
Have you tried AppGeeker DVD Ripper?

You can have your disc movies ripping to .mp4 file, it is a standard that most devices supports.

www.appgeeker.com/convert/rip-dvd-to-mp4-mac.html

I have been using it for a long time.

DVD ripping - VxFan
That's quite possibly one of the more helpful spam messages we get here.

It makes a change from all the kitchen ones we've been getting lately anyway.
 DVD ripping - No FM2R
If he'd just had the nous to say "and its my software" rather than "I have been using it for a long time", he'd probably do a lot better.
 DVD ripping - car4play
On a Mac I use MacDVD Ripper Pro to do the ripping. Save to iso.
Then Handbrake to do the conversion to m4v.

The only thing that caught me out was that for 5:1 surround sound to work you need these on the second channel in the m4v. It does this for you if you select the AppleTV 3 option from the device settings in Handbrake (on the slide out drawer). Otherwise one only gets stereo with the default handbrake setting. I know as I had to re-rip all our DVDs once I had realised that the surround sound wasn't really working!
Latest Forum Posts