Computer Related > I Can't Install Google Chrome Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 16

I Can't Install Google Chrome - Duncan
I found that I couldn't run Google Chrome, so I uninstalled it using the 'programs' thing in Control Panel.

When I try to install Chrome I get the message:-

"GoogleUpdate.exe - Bad Image"
"C:/windows/system32/netutils.dll is either not designed to run on windows or contains an error".
There then follows stuff about contacting my administrator or the system provider.

Is there a work around or shall I just carry on using Waterfox?

I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

Any advice please?
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - Victorbox
'Bad Image' - I'd just delete the install programme as it could just be a duff download and download it again making sure it's for Win7 64 bit if there's an option. I generally run CCleaner's registry cleaner after uninstalling anything to tidy up all the leftovers - making a restore point first of course.
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - smokie
Could just be that their download is an iffy one (in which case they may replace it at some point), or you aren't receiving right (it's corrupted).

On the other hand netutils.dll is a piece of Windows so following the steps in this wouldn't do any harm.

support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - Slidingpillar
I live dangerously and would try replacing it.
www.dllme.com/dll/files/netutils_dll.html

Keep the old one until you are happy and rename it as a 'old' file so that if needed, it's simple to restore.

But to me, Chome is a horrid browser, I only have it as I write two websites for others and need occasionaly to check they work on other browsers.
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - Stuartli
Stick to Waterfox...:-)
Thank you for the responses.

I have tried the suggestions without any joy.

I am getting a series of error messages. The latest and most persistent is when I am trying, with difficulty to use C4P. I continually get the message:-

The xajax Javascript component could not be included. Perhaps the URL is incorrect. URL:/js/xajax_js/xajax_core.js

I think I have copied that correctly. I am happy to stick to Waterfox. But Waterfox and Google Chrome ran happily for several months.

When on C4P the font and style is strange. and I can't switch from Motoring to non-motoring.

To the non expert something has become corrupted, but what?

I ran CHKDSK, that said something to the effect 'spaces which were reported as filled were empty'
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - VxFan
>> But to me, Chome is a horrid browser

I didn't like it either when I started using it on my old WinXP machine.

Much happier with IE, but stopped using it because of potential security issues now that MS have stopped supporting XP.

Now that I've got a new PC I'm back using IE again.
>> Could just be that their download is an iffy one (in which case they may
>> replace it at some point), or you aren't receiving right (it's corrupted).
>>
>> On the other hand netutils.dll is a piece of Windows so following the steps in
>> this wouldn't do any harm.
>>
>> support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
>>

Second time around, I managed to follw the advice in smokie's link.

I got the message 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are .......'

What then follows is, I think, too difficult for a simple soul like me.

I have the original installation disc for Windows 7. Is it possible to substitute the files on the original disc for the corrupted files?
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - No FM2R
You can use the installation disc to repair your installation, which will do exactly what you wish and cause you to lose nothing.

Well, it is conceivable you could lose an installed program, but its very unlikely and you will *not* lose any data.

From a quick look the following link seems to be a good guide, although I have not followed it myself.

www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-repair-windows-7-system-installation-disc.htm
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - smokie
Hmmm I'd be curious to know if your Windows 7 is a Service Pack or two ahead of your installation disk. This may not matter but then again it may. I don't know if it would downrev your Windows - you may find you need to do a load of updates if you repair from you installation media.
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - No FM2R
>>you may find you need to do a load of updates if you repair from you installation media.

It may depend entirely on what files were "repaired". My installation disc is def. pre SP, and when I repaired a computer a few months ago it only ran a couple of updates, which may have just been coincidentally due anyway.
Update.

I am not techie, but I thought 'I wonder if a system restore would do the trick', so I did and, touch wood, it seems to have worked. Google Chrome has come back, but I might remove that and just stick to Waterfox with IE as backup - or vice versa!

I will tread warily for the next few days.

Thank you for the replies.
 I Can't Install Google Chrome - Stuartli
Do you really want Google to take over the world? I speak as someone who has an Android Smartphone and Google Nexus 10...:-)
 I Can't UnInstall Google Chrome - Duncan
Further update.

I thought that if I am not going to use Google Chrome, I might as well remove it (ironic, considering that this thread started because I couldn't install Chrome!).

I went to Control Panel - Programs - uninstall, no joy, I got the message 'close all Google Chrome windows that are open'. I did some searching online and was told go to Task Manager(?) - Processes and stop all Google Chrome things that were running, easier said than done!

Any ideas, please?
 I Can't UnInstall Google Chrome - Slidingpillar
You get to task manager by hitting cntrl/alt/delete. The oft called Microsoft three finger salute.

Chrome won't be the first application that leaves a process running when closed.
 I Can't UnInstall Google Chrome - FocalPoint
"You get to task manager by hitting cntrl/alt/delete." Indeed, and you should find there at least some activity by Chrome, which you stop.

Then try to uninstall the program. In the unlikely event that you cannot do this, try going here:

support.microsoft.com/fixit/

where you will get an option "Install or upgrade software or hardware"; click on this and you will be offered "Install or remove programs".

I'm no expert, but I understand this is a fix whereby the registry is corrected after it has been altered/corrupted in such a way as to prevent a program from being removed.
 I Can't UnInstall Google Chrome - Focusless
>> You get to task manager by hitting cntrl/alt/delete. The oft called Microsoft three finger salute.

And at the risk of stating the obvious, in Task Manager click on the Processes tab, then Image Name to sort the processes in name order.
Latest Forum Posts