Computer Related > Remote Access to Security Cameras Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 42

Remote Access to Security Cameras - No FM2R
REALLY long shot follows, but I'm at a loss....

I have a farm. On that farm are some security cameras. 4 of them are connected to a H.264 Network DVR and focus on one of the entrances.

It works fine including having relocated a monitor and one or two other changes that people helped me with here - so thanks for that. Now I would like to access those cameras remotely - to check the damn guards are working for one!

The Network DVR is on the LAN along with another PC and an Arris Cable modem.

I have port forwarded port 80 from the external IP address, and that is working. Working in that from home using a web browser I can connect to the DVR. However, I am getting nothing beyond that connection. No feeds, no access, no nuffink. Not even any access to the control software.

So I trawled all the way up there to try it from the PC on the LAN. Same thing. Also, if I use the remote access software on the phone it either hangs or says connection failed.

It seems to me, therefore, that I have something blocking the access, or at least not allowing suitable access. And its possibly something between the router and the DVR.
I did temporarily remove all firewalls and open all ports which didn't help. I forgot to try putting the DVR in the DMZ, so I'll give that a go on Monday.

This is all further complicated by the fact that one never gets manuals with stuff down here, and this is a market loved by the Chinese, so if one downloads a manual its not written in anything I understand.

Access from home PC tries to connect to nnn.nn.nnn.nnn:80 (external IP Address & Port 80) and the Arris router pushes port 80 requests to nnn.nnn.n.n (internal IP address of network DVR) using TCP

That port is most definitely open and forwarded and the Network DVR is set to use Port 80 in and out.

Also, because I didn't have the password for the Arris router I had to Factory reset it. I've done that and restored all the settings that matter, I think. But uPnP is disabled by default.

1) Why would uPnP be disabled by default? Should it be enabled or disabled? Would you expect it to make a difference in this situation?

2) How possible is it that uPnP is playing a role in messing me around here? How might that manifest itself?

Really any thoughts. Assume I'm dumb, you won't be far wrong.

This is all a long shot anyway, but on the off chance here's an even longer shot....

If you can find me a manual in English for a;

H.264 Network 8 Channel DVR
Product No. SEDVR-6308SD
S/N 00201203150166
Code G12012208

I will owe you whatever ever favours you need.

I don't really know this stuff very well, so any and all suggestions or thoughts welcome.

[p.s. This is South America, let us assume that any expert I call will almost certainly arrive with a hammer, saw, and portable welding kit and so probably is not worth the effort]

Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 17 May 14 at 02:03
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - Pat
Is this the one?

www.l-com.com/multimedia/manuals/M_VNC-DK4-C1404CM.PDF

Pat
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - Pat
.www.centersb.ru/qtum/Instrukcii/instrukciya_Q400WO3.pdf

Or this one which may be the same.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Sat 17 May 14 at 04:54
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - smokie
Here's another www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productdata/manuals/82-13500.pdf
'fraid not, although one of Pat's suggestions may be similar enough, so I shall read it anyway.

Try this...

8< snip. Link removed at OPs request

I really appreciate you looking though, thank you.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Dec 20 at 02:49
The first manual that Pat linked to mentions Active-X and software.

It also pictures a web browser screen shot which is similar to mine and mentions needing to install some ActiveX software.

So, if anyone sees a source of the software please pass it on.

Also, if anyone understands ActiveX. Because I turned off every bit of ActiveX control I could find, I may have some missing software.
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - rtj70
Do you get prompted by Windows to download an ActiveX control for the web-site? Or have you really disabled ActiveX? If you have then enable it.
No, I don't get prompted, although it says I should.

As far as I can tell I've enabled it. There seems to be 2 or 3 options for each one which are enable, disable and [sometimes] ask. I've chosen enable in all cases.

I also added the IP address of the DVR as a Safe Site.

Am I missing something?
No, I just checked. I was definitely enabling ActiveX.
Do you have access to another Windows machine to test? Perhaps you'd trust one of us to try it remotely?
If you're happy to help I would be very grateful.

If you drop me an email then I can let you have the details.

Thanks.
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - car4play
Mark what I would do in your case is to run a port scanner within your LAN on the DVR. Use something like Fing on the iphone or nmap on command line.
It might show you that not only do you need to map port 80 for TCP but also say 4000 for UDP.
Sounds like a good idea, but I think I don't completely understand.

How will it show me what ports I need to open?
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - car4play
If you have an iPad or iPhone just go to the app store and download the free app "Fing"

itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fing-network-scanner/id430921107?mt=8

On Android
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.fing

It will automatically scan your whole network and give you a list of all the connected devices.
Select your DVR in the list and then it will give you the option to scan the services that are running on that device. This will give you a list of active services and their ports. Some you might not need like DNS discovery etc. but the list should be quite short and you can then play with mapping each one in turn and seeing what works.

It's a great tool for finding out what is open on your network that perhaps shouldn't be!
>> So I trawled all the way up there to try it from the PC on the LAN. Same thing.

Trying to get it working locally from a machine you know ActiveX is working on would be a good starting point.

You could also briefly put the DVR in the DMZ so all ports are open and see if it works remotely.

As I said in an email, when I tried getting a similar setup working for someone in a hotel, there was another port that needed forwarding to get the video feeds working. Port 80 was just used for the web part but the ActiveX control used an additional port.
Your emails have given me loads to think about, thank you. I'm just drinking coffee trying to work up the energy to go up there now.
p.s., perhaps a dumb question, but how would I be able to be sure that ActiveX was working?
I found this site which will download an ActiveX control and install it.

www.mheller.com/testax.htm

Works on my work laptop okay.
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - VxFan
>> I have a farm. On that farm are some security cameras

E-I-E-I-O

sorry, couldn't resist it any longer
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - MD
Chuckling here. Well done VX. More Vino.

P.S. Good luck Mark. Out of my depth 4 sure.
Well, an update of sorts.....

I managed to find some software intended for a similar security system on a server in Latvia. Installing that software has finally enabled me to access the cameras remotely.

That's good news in that at least I can see what's going on from home, and it shows that I have [finally] configured the router and DVR properly at the farm.

However, no matter what I do I cannot seem to access it over the internet using Internet Explorer. This does not seem to be an issue with ActiveX or router settings.

This is a pain because I wanted to be able to access from anywhere without having to install software.

Thanks for your help in here, and a special thank you to rtj70 for all his efforts by email.

Further thoughts about IE access welcome.
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - Focusless
>> However, no matter what I do I cannot seem to access it over the internet
>> using Internet Explorer.

Just to clarify - it's a problem specific to IE, or other browsers too?
It needs ActiveX and therefore has to be IE.

IE is supposed to connect to the DVR, it then is supposed to tell me it needs to install some ActiveX stuff, it is then supposed to install it and then allow me to log in.

It doesn't even ask to install.

However, VMEyeSuper connects from my Android, and General_CMS connects from my PC. The latter allowing me full access to everything whilst the former just gives the camera feeds. The two together actually working ruling out everything I can think of that could be causing the IE difficulties.

Nonetheless, this means that I have to install a program each time I wish to use a different PC. That's just not going to be possible.

I have tried it with all versions of IE from 8.9 onwards and on XP, Vista and Windows7.
>> It needs ActiveX and therefore has to be IE.

Right - shows how much I know :)
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - BobbyG
I have remote viewing of CCTV, I use Swann cameras bought from Maplins and they come with their own Swann app for viewing remotely or on a computer.

Actually very good for the small price, about 300 quid for a 1TB recorder and 4 cameras.
For reasons to boring to mention, but which now include pride and determination to fix, it would be better to get this equipment working rather than change it for something more worthwhile.

Pretty close to giving up though.
Might be worth a go then:
www.ehow.co.uk/list_6702546_browsers-support-activex_.html
I don't think I'll be able to help much - but how does it go then? You put in the IP address of the camera and what happens? Any message? Or nothing at all?

If nothing, sounds like it may not be making contact with the web interface in the device.

Try :34567 I think that will look on that port but I'm really not sure. (replacing 34567 with whatever port number you used in you Android app, but that looks likely). I vaguely recall something like this on something I was playing with a few years back.

Other things which cross my mind if you are getting no connection are firewalls and port forwarding.

Maybe this will prompt some thoughts in someone better experienced....
Port is indeed 34567
HTTP is 80, as usual.

Using Android or PC app the criteria of 34567 / 80 / Username / Password works just fine.

For my own PC that's fine. However, I need often to check it from whatever PC I am next to. So installing software every time is not viable.

What should happen is;

Type IP address into Internet Explorer which then goes to DVR
Triggers request to install ActiveX control and then installs ActiveX control
Presents login screen and requests username/password.
Presents DVR/Camera control screen.

What actually happens is;

Type IP address into Internet Explorer which then goes to DVR
Presents login screen which is not live, you can type anything you want.
Presents DVR/Camera control screen which is incomplete and graphics only, no functionality because of the lack of ActiveX.

It is likely, as rtj has said all along, that there is an ActiveX issue. But I cannot work out how to resolve it, or even investigate it further.

Running a variety of OS and/or IE versions with as little security as possible has made no difference.

It being a POS Chinese DVR originally installed by a stupid person's more stupid friend wearing a blindfold with only a hammer, and incomprehensible firmware with no accurate manual are just parts of the challenge.

If I could find the answer, I suspect that it is easy to do.

OK, I'm probably barking up an incorrect piece of natural wood but please humour me. I'm still sniffing around port forwarding or firewalls.

I'm wondering if the initial comms is done over http (port 80) but maybe somehow the more secure stuff to do with your actual device is done over port 34567.

On your PC got to www.canyouseeme.org and put in port 34567. It should be pre-filled with your WAN address. This will tell you whether it is open or not (and reading their page, it could be being blocked at your ISP).

I've no idea whether a failure could be the cause of your issue, but success would seem to rule out the firewall bit.

Just been researching port triggering, maybe that's what is required rather than forwarding. www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/port_triggering.html
I will try canyouseeme.org when next at the farm - tomorrow morning, I think.

However, I'm pretty sure that the port must be open since 80 & 34567 are accessible to the Android and PC apps.

I did at one point put the whole lot in the DMZ with no change in behaviour.
>> Running a variety of OS and/or IE versions with as little security as possible has
>> made no difference.

Did you try the things mentioned in my link above (which currently appears to be broken)? If they didn't work, and I haven't got the wrong end of the stick, there's also:

ActiveX for Chrome:
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/activex-for-chrome/lgllffgicojgllpmdbemgglaponefajn

or:
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ie-tab/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd

Neptune, a Chrome/FF (I think) plug-in offering ActiveX support:
www.meadroid.com/neptune/about

CoolNovo, a Chrome alternative with ActiveX support:
www.fsllq.com/
I did try everything useful in the link you supplied.

I have tried several Chrome plug-ins. No change in behaviour.

Thanks.
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - Zero
>
>> It being a POS Chinese DVR originally installed by a stupid person's more stupid friend
>> wearing a blindfold with only a hammer, and incomprehensible firmware with no accurate manual are
>> just parts of the challenge.

Its likely, being a POS Chinese DVR originally installed by a stupid person's more stupid friend
wearing a blindfold with only a hammer, that the incomprehensible firmware needs to be updated.

>> If I could find the answer, I suspect that it is easy to do.

Given there is no accurate manual I suspect its going to be ruddy difficult, if not impossible.

If it were me, and it was sufficiently important to me, I would rethink my whole approach. Given that we know we now have a working ip link, I would ditch the whole shebang at the remote location, install an IP camera (now remarkably cheap), and do the video recording at my home location where I have more control over the process.
>> I'm wondering if the initial comms is done over http (port 80) but maybe somehow the more
>> secure stuff to do with your actual device is done over port 34567.

Welcome back Z :-)

In response to smokie, I've helped someone before with such a camera and the ActiveX control did indeed communicate over a port other than 80 and so had to be forwarded on the router. But the ActiveX control did download over port 80 without problems. Anyway Mark has forwarded this port - otherwise the other apps wouldn't work either.

I can see why Mark won't give up and start again. The amount of time spent on this is far greater than the cost of a system that is documented and just works. The more time you invest in projects like this, the less likely you'd want to start over :-)

To answer Z, the problem with your approach is the security guards at the remote farm also need to access the cameras.
The problem seems to me that the ActiveX control is not even downloading. I'll have a look at the email you sent me Mark if and when I get 5 minutes.
>>The problem seems to me that the ActiveX control is not even downloading.

It seems not even to be trying, or detecting that one is needed.
 Remote Access to Security Cameras - Zero
>> I can see why Mark won't give up and start again. The amount of time
>> spent on this is far greater than the cost of a system that is documented
>> and just works. The more time you invest in projects like this, the less likely
>> you'd want to start over :-)

Indeed, there is no technical support or solution in all the world to resolve a b***** mindedness problem opportunity.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 18 Jul 14 at 10:41
If I had never tried to fix it, if I had never thought I could fix it, then I wouldn't have invested the time and thought into it.

However, now I have invested and tried, then I would like to know what is wrong. Call it b***** mindedness if you will, but I hate not being able to fix things.

Especially when, as I say, I suspect the fix to be an easy one. Just currently unknown.
>>that the incomprehensible firmware needs to be updated.

I thought I'd got an update, it says I haven't. Still pursuing this line.
And whilst there are a few things I have failed to fix over the years, there aren't many and I usually work out the issue, even if I can't fix it.

I try very, very hard not to be obsessive about such things.
forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1590618

One of many I can find where someone has faced this problem or similar, it seems always related to security cameras, and I cannot find anyone who has resolved it.
Latest Forum Posts